Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #1
sldersham

New Generation of TV Antena

I have just purchased a new Sprinter 5th Wheel this is my 3rd one in 4 years. My previous units have all had the same TV antennas they all had a little dial and hand crank mounted in the ceiling to extend the antenna. This new unit has a different type altogether you do not raise or lower the unit and there is no way to rotate the unit around. My manual has instructions for the previous antenna system that I had on my other units but nothing on this newer unit. When I try to use it the quality of the signal is very poor as compared to my other units even when engaging the booster button where the cable connection attaches to the wall. Because I have no name or manual with model numbers I am having trouble looking it up on the internet. Dose this sound like a system that someone else has an may have have some information on what type of antenna this may be.
sldersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
Javi

There are about a zillion different RV antennas on the market I'd suggest you try a google search using "rv hdtv antenna" and click on images. Then if you see yours you can usually click on the image and it will take you to a website where you should be able to find the manufacturer.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
canesfan

When I was looking at RVs last year I noticed some of the Fusions didn't have a TV antenna crank in them and I climbed up on one to see why. They had a little S shaped fixed antenna that stuck up about 6" or so above the roof. Looked to be "omni-directional" in design. I tried searching everything I could think of as well as looking at the major RV electronics suppliers websites and couldn't find anything about them. I wonder if this is what you have? To me it didn't look like it would do much of anything for reception.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

My last RV had one of these.

What a piece of junk. You could practically camp in the TV station lot and still not watch anything.

Was so glad current RV has the batwing. MUCH better product.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post

What a piece of junk. You could practically camp in the TV station lot and still not watch anything.

My last one had a "Jensen" model just like this. Useless as the day is long even if you wrap it in tin foil........
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post

The Vantage trailers came with a similar looking unit, but black in color. Agree completely on the worthlessness. I've been in St. Paul (right across the river from UMN) and not been able to pick up all of the major network stations. Same thing in Milwaukee. Also was in the middle of Tulsa and same thing. I want to change it out, but I would really like to find a better antenna that will mount in the same holes (I hate the idea of adding any more holes than necessary to the roof). Might just end up going with a dish with tripod instead, dunno. Right now I'm using an indoor Leaf antenna and get much better reception than that piece of junk.

I know another RVer that had a similar antenna and replaced his with the batwing. Said it was like night and day. He was in the same park as me in Tulsa and could get all the major channels without any problems, which confirmed my suspicions that the saucer one is complete crap.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
The Vantage trailers came with a similar looking unit, but black in color. Agree completely on the worthlessness. I've been in St. Paul (right across the river from UMN) and not been able to pick up all of the major network stations. Same thing in Milwaukee. Also was in the middle of Tulsa and same thing. I want to change it out, but I would really like to find a better antenna that will mount in the same holes (I hate the idea of adding any more holes than necessary to the roof). Might just end up going with a dish with tripod instead, dunno. Right now I'm using an indoor Leaf antenna and get much better reception than that piece of junk.

I know another RVer that had a similar antenna and replaced his with the batwing. Said it was like night and day. He was in the same park as me in Tulsa and could get all the major channels without any problems, which confirmed my suspicions that the saucer one is complete crap.
I replaced mine with a "Jack" antenna and was very happy. I did mount it in the same hole on the roof but had to make a new hole inside the ceiling of the camper so I could turn it and use the signal meter.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Gaffer222

I have an Outback Terrain 250TRS on order and here is a picture of the antenna Keystone is now using. Started a post a while back looking for reviews but did not get many responses. I too have only had the turn and crank styles in the past with the Wingman attached. I hope it works good but height is the best advantage when it comes to antennas. I am concerned with snow load in winter and the cover on the elements. One suggestion was to cover it with an laundry basket.

DW, DD Circa 2002, DD Circa 2005
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essness View Post
I replaced mine with a "Jack" antenna and was very happy. I did mount it in the same hole on the roof but had to make a new hole inside the ceiling of the camper so I could turn it and use the signal meter.
That's good to hear that the Jack antenna will work in the same mounting holes. Thanks!

Now the question is where on the Vantage is it in relation to walls, etc. *crossing fingers that the rotation knob wont end up being in the shower or some other silly place*

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #10
GAGirl

Talking New Antenna used by Keystone

[QUOTE=Gaffer222;123207]I have an Outback Terrain 250TRS on order and here is a picture of the antenna Keystone is now using. Started a post a while back looking for reviews but did not get many responses. I too have only had the turn and crank styles in the past with the Wingman attached. I hope it works good but height is the best advantage when it comes to antennas. I am concerned with snow load in winter and the cover on the elements. One suggestion was to cover it with an laundry basket.

[

We purchased our new Keystone Outback Terrain 273RLS - made for us and
have used it on 2-3 trips so far - it has the new antenna on it and the reception is excellent in markets that have stations, etc. - we have camped in Florida, Georgia so far it works great but we haven't been somewhere with no channels yet - we are purchasing the Tailgater for the Satellite but til then we will stay in campgrounds where they have cable connections if we find ourselves in an areas without good reception. By the way, we LOVE the 273 RLS and the new upgrades to interior of the Outback Terrain is perfect.
Happy Trails to all!
GAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
sldersham

I have the same new style antenna on my 2014 Sprinter 333FWRLS I have found it to be useless. While I do get some reception in the front TV the back one gets nothing but static. I am not sure what I am going to do about it I have had very poor results by taking it back to Camping World. They mounted a new TV in the back when I bought the camper the TV mount fell off the wall on our first trip they remounted the TV but it has never worked correctly since.
sldersham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #12
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldersham View Post
I have the same new style antenna on my 2014 Sprinter 333FWRLS I have found it to be useless. While I do get some reception in the front TV the back one gets nothing but static. I am not sure what I am going to do about it I have had very poor results by taking it back to Camping World. They mounted a new TV in the back when I bought the camper the TV mount fell off the wall on our first trip they remounted the TV but it has never worked correctly since.
do you have an amplifier for the tv antenna? Given the front tv is close to the source the signal is likely good enough to provide you service there. I'd be willing to bet there is just too much signal loss over the RG cable and splitter to allow the rear tv service.
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
Pulln

Also if you do have a yagi/direction antenna you might find this website helpful.

http://www.antennapoint.com/
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #14
hankaye

Pulln, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulln View Post
Also if you do have a yagi/direction antenna you might find this website helpful.

http://www.antennapoint.com/
Nice link ... if you don't rely on translators as much of the West does
to bend the signals around the occasional mountain or 2. I tried it for my
location and there are mountains between me and both locations shown.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Desert185

With the limited times we've used our antenna so far, we've had good results. I wonder if anyone has used this booster and could comment?

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-WI...dp/B001U2DPUE#
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #16
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
With the limited times we've used our antenna so far, we've had good results. I wonder if anyone has used this booster and could comment?

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-WI...dp/B001U2DPUE#
I have it on mine and would recommend it. It does work and helps to pull in more stations.
2016 Polaris RZR S900