Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2023, 03:15 PM   #1
Stevestrailer

Frozen sewer pipes

It has been cold so I left my grey tanks open and water trickling ! The line has frozen and is showing both tanks are full! The black tank will not pull to drain so I imagine it is frozen too! Only one faucet still flows but it barely flows! I put a space heater in the belly to try and thaw it out! It looks like there is ice in the sewer hose that goes into the ground as well!! I’m new to rving so I’d appreciate any help as to where to start to get it all flowing! Thanks in advance!
Stevestrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately at this point you have to wait for things to thaw out. I would turn off the water, and if you can locate the low point drains open them and drain as much water as you can.

Once things are flowing again, you need to take steps to keep the cold out of the underside. Depending on your situation (permanent ) you have options. May want to consider tank heaters for the future.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately at this point you have to wait for things to thaw out. I would turn off the water, and if you can locate the low point drains open them and drain as much water as you can.

Once things are flowing again, you need to take steps to keep the cold out of the underside. Depending on your situation (permanent ) you have options. May want to consider tank heaters for the future.
Chuck, if this fella is in Utah, he isn't going to thaw until spring...
https://search.brave.com/search?q=cu...tah&source=web
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #4
Stevestrailer

Is there anything I can do to help speed up the thaw?
Old 01-31-2023, 03:21 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevestrailer View Post
It has been cold so I left my grey tanks open and water trickling ! The line has frozen and is showing both tanks are full! The black tank will not pull to drain so I imagine it is frozen too! Only one faucet still flows but it barely flows! I put a space heater in the belly to try and thaw it out! It looks like there is ice in the sewer hose that goes into the ground as well!! I’m new to rving so I’d appreciate any help as to where to start to get it all flowing! Thanks in advance!
Layton? Is that Layton, Utah? Look at temps for Layton Utah and I suspect that it is going to be frozen for a long time. Year, make and model of your camper? Some have heated underbellies that allow you to keep the enclosed part a bit warm... some don't. I don't camp in temperature like you are in and don't know how long you plan on staying there. I sure someone with cold weather experience can talk you through a fix. How are you getting fresh water?
Old 01-31-2023, 03:27 PM   #6
Stevestrailer

It’s 2021 Avalanche 390ds yes Layton ut it has the heated under belly but it appears to not work as advertised
Old 01-31-2023, 03:31 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
It’s 2021 Avalanche 390ds yes Layton ut it has the heated under belly but it appears to not work as advertised
OK, there will be some hardy soul that will give you some tips. I would stay away from the propane torch but beyond that, not sure.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:34 PM   #8
Stevestrailer

Thanks!! Enjoy some goods Texas bbq for me!!
Old 01-31-2023, 03:57 PM   #9
jasin1

do you live full time in a permanent spot? maybe you could go to a truck stop locally and pull the rv into a heated shop..like a truck wash to thaw and then immediately use their sewer dump station…some truck stops have them.

then if your staying semi permanently i’d get skirting for the rv and only hook up the sewer and water to dump and fill your freshwater tank..heated water hose also.

if your at a campground after you fix it you could also just use their bathrooms while it’s frigid..me personally i’d just head south at this point
Old 02-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #10
bustersdaddy

Keystone319RLS

Quote:
I purchased a Keystone with the "Winter Package" What a joke! heater turns out to be a 2" piece of flex (dryer) line, that is supposed to heat underbelly ha ha ha
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:34 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustersdaddy View Post
I purchased a Keystone with the "Winter Package" What a joke! heater turns out to be a 2" piece of flex (dryer) line, that is supposed to heat underbelly ha ha ha
Roger, the boys in the Keystone marketing department probably said hahaha thinking someone would believe the "winter package or arctic package" actually would allow camping in the dead of winter in a place like NY without a lot of additional steps taken.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:54 AM   #12
hankaye

Howdy once again;

There is a "sticky" down on the Modifications forum from a fella named geo,
truly an epic on how to properly winter proof an RV.
Here's a link;
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=19807

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Get some tarps (enough to run the perimeter of the camper) and set a kerosene torpedo heater under there. A 5k btu space heater won't help much. Do not leave the unit unattended while running the heater. You may be able to rent the heater if you have a tool rental near by.

The heated underbelly is via the LP furnace so you need to run. It will burn A LOT of propane so if you can get a bulk tank and delivery it will more convenient.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:19 PM   #14
Stevestrailer

Ok thanks! I’ll have to check with the park I know they said no tarps for skirting but I’ll hav eto see if they will allow it temporarily! I have been burning the furnace as well! We went through a tank every 2 days. I’ve just been filling the one and then running the other one!
Old 01-31-2023, 04:30 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

This has happened to me and why I won't ever leave my dump valves open - winter or not. IMO that open valve into the sewer line lets your slow moving water freeze, over and over, and turn to a block of ice (mine did). It also freezes the valves. I did not have frozen valves thankfully. I used a hair dryer around my dump outlet until I could disconnect the sewer hose, threw it away and bought a new one.

It sounds like you weren't using the furnace much. A newer Avalanche should be able to keep you OK until it drops to zero or so if you take regular "freeze" precautions. What temps are you experiencing? You said you are new to RVing, what freeze precautions have you taken if any, ie; heated hoses, insulation etc.? Prognosis for a quick recovery isn't good if it has frozen enough to completely block your dump pipes....but I'm finding that hard to believe would happen (I hope). Avoid dangerous, high temp solutions...an RV will go up in a second.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:39 PM   #16
Stevestrailer

We have been in the negatives with the wind chill. Single digits without wind chill. I have a heated water hose and have been using the furnace most of the time when it has been really cold! I did put a space heater in the crawl space to try and keep it a little bit warmer. I did put some insulation in the wet Bay Area to try and keep it warm.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:55 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This has happened to me and why I won't ever leave my dump valves open - winter or not. IMO that open valve into the sewer line lets your slow moving water freeze, over and over, and turn to a block of ice (mine did). It also freezes the valves. I did not have frozen valves thankfully. I used a hair dryer around my dump outlet until I could disconnect the sewer hose, threw it away and bought a new one.

It sounds like you weren't using the furnace much. A newer Avalanche should be able to keep you OK until it drops to zero or so if you take regular "freeze" precautions. What temps are you experiencing? You said you are new to RVing, what freeze precautions have you taken if any, ie; heated hoses, insulation etc.? Prognosis for a quick recovery isn't good if it has frozen enough to completely block your dump pipes....but I'm finding that hard to believe would happen (I hope). Avoid dangerous, high temp solutions...an RV will go up in a second.
Please take a second to read post #4 which has the weeks temps.

Steve, you have been asked whether you are full timing in that trailer. What is the status? You may have a heated hose but in single digit temps I would guess the hose bib may be frozen. Is this the case?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:58 AM   #18
hankaye

Stevestrailer, Howdy;

Went through the same thing in Mt. Pleasant, Ut. back in 2009.
First get rid of the poocicle (drain hose to the ground), dump some ice melt
in the hole.
Call the folks at Miller's RV in Spanish Fork, Ut.

get some Blue sheets of insulation and use that as skirting. Cut 1 sheet into 4" wide strips to cover the seams and act as attachment strips. When it snows pile it up around the skirting anything it covers can't get below 32*.

Use some IceMelt in the tanks. Generally the Black tank shouldn't freeze due to the decomp going on generates it's own heat, I'd still dump a 32 oz. cup of icemelt in right after you dump it. Whenever that may be.

Good Luck,

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:22 AM   #19
Stevestrailer

Thank you!
Old 02-01-2023, 05:24 AM   #20
Stevestrailer

I have heat tape and insulation on the hose bib! As for status we will be here for a while! It’s a temporary thing!

Tags
sewer