Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
LERD

7.3l gas towing 5er

I posted this question on a different forum. I got lots of great comments and advise. But, I didn't receive any responses from people who actually use this combination. And maybe, there's not too many who do. I'm sure I titled my post wrong.

I'm wanting to order our new TV. Our future upgraded 5er will max out between 15k -16,350 lbs, but that's not till the new truck is here.

We plan to full-time for about 4 years, then we would switch to being longtimers. I'm looking at the Ford CCLB, probably a dually, with the 7.3l gas motor and 4:30 axle ratio. Ideally, we will travel, and bed down for 1 to 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. I'm just looking for full timers who are using this engine right now to give their thoughts on it. Good and bad. I'm really hoping to find out about mountain grades, fuel range and your driving experience. Most of all, was it a good decision, or do you regret it?
I received lots of good info from the other post for going diesel, just looking at the other side of the coin.

Thanks and happy trails to all!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #2
jsb5717

Your GVWR is about 2k lbs more than mine. I can't advise on experience with the gas motor but will say that I can't imagine wanting to haul steep grades pulling that kind of weight with anything but diesel.

Perhaps Danny (Sourdough) will speak into this for you. He currently hauls his rig, at about 14,300 GVWR, with a gas motor.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've not seen many folks using the 7.3 towing what you are describing. I would be interested as well as I'm debating between my normal Ram 6.4, a diesel or the 7.3 on my next truck. Have you seen the link below on the 7.3?

https://tfltruck.com/2020/02/2020-fo...-it-did-video/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've not seen many folks using the 7.3 towing what you are describing. I would be interested as well as I'm debating between my normal Ram 6.4, a diesel or the 7.3 on my next truck. Have you seen the link below on the 7.3?

I didn't yet watch the video (gotta work you know!) but I did catch the 2.2 MPG going up that hill. Wish they had mentioned the Chevy MPG on the same hill. Maybe they should go back to my ol' 460 CID pig as it got better than that (not by much).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
LERD

Quote:

Yes, I've re-watched several times, and the RAM and Chevy too. The Chevy did better on fuel ( so to speak) 2.4. I forget the RAM's mpg. Truthfully in the gas motor, only the Ford stayed close to the speed limit. I also realize your not driving that pass everyday. That's why I'm mulling it over. I have driven the 7.3l before pulling a trailer. But not pulling that kind of weight. I have thousands of miles pulling a 8k lb trailer with a V-10. Yeah, no thank you. This new motor is way better than that one.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:19 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
Yes, I've re-watched several times, and the RAM and Chevy too. The Chevy did better on fuel ( so to speak) 2.4. I forget the RAM's mpg. Truthfully in the gas motor, only the Ford stayed close to the speed limit. I also realize your not driving that pass everyday. That's why I'm mulling it over. I have driven the 7.3l before pulling a trailer. But not pulling that kind of weight. I have thousands of miles pulling a 8k lb trailer with a V-10. Yeah, no thank you. This new motor is way better than that one.

I don't worry about mpg in anything I drive. There are many other factors I think about. Like you I don't intend to be running passes like that all the time, occasionally but not frequently, and it did pretty well for that load.

My trailer runs 13k +/- scaled and has a gvwr of 14300. I tow with a Ram 6.4, 4.10 8speed. I do fine ("OK") going where we go including some pretty good grades. The new engine/tranny combos can't be compared to the older "gas" engines - even through 2014 or so and certainly not "back when" - apples and oranges. Those V10s? I had a fleet of trucks that had many V10s (that was a mistake) - junk IMO and I agree...no thank you.

I know you wanted to hear from folks with the combo you're looking at and I don't have it. I am however a "gas guy" and fully versed on gas engines, performance and capabilities. The 7.3 will have a little edge over the 6.4 in power plus it has that 10 speed tranny. For me and my weight I think it might be a good match (except I don't like Fords) but at your proposed 16k I just can't see how a gas engine (or 7.3) could traverse this country as you want to do, in all kinds of weather, traffic etc. and not leave you wanting. That exhaust brake with that kind of load would be invaluable.

Sorry to repeat what has been said about a diesel but here I am, THE gas guy, selling myself on a diesel. Guess that's not a bad deal; I'd rather buy a new truck than a new set of tires and I get rid of them at 40k - which won't be too long. Good luck on your decision but for me I would think long and hard about that 7.3 - then go with the diesel. It's just too much weight. Hopefully someone with that combo, or close, will chime in with some candid thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #7
LERD

Quote:
I don't worry about mpg in anything I drive. There are many other factors I think about. Like you I don't intend to be running passes like that all the time, occasionally but not frequently, and it did pretty well for that load.

My trailer runs 13k +/- scaled and has a gvwr of 14300. I tow with a Ram 6.4, 4.10 8speed. I do fine ("OK") going where we go including some pretty good grades. The new engine/tranny combos can't be compared to the older "gas" engines - even through 2014 or so and certainly not "back when" - apples and oranges. Those V10s? I had a fleet of trucks that had many V10s (that was a mistake) - junk IMO and I agree...no thank you.

I know you wanted to hear from folks with the combo you're looking at and I don't have it. I am however a "gas guy" and fully versed on gas engines, performance and capabilities. The 7.3 will have a little edge over the 6.4 in power plus it has that 10 speed tranny. For me and my weight I think it might be a good match (except I don't like Fords) but at your proposed 16k I just can't see how a gas engine (or 7.3) could traverse this country as you want to do, in all kinds of weather, traffic etc. and not leave you wanting. That exhaust brake with that kind of load would be invaluable.

Sorry to repeat what has been said about a diesel but here I am, THE gas guy, selling myself on a diesel. Guess that's not a bad deal; I'd rather buy a new truck than a new set of tires and I get rid of them at 40k - which won't be too long. Good luck on your decision but for me I would think long and hard about that 7.3 - then go with the diesel. It's just too much weight. Hopefully someone with that combo, or close, will chime in with some candid thoughts.
I've been reading lots of your threads from the past. Because I did remember you have a gasser.. I also remembered you were that "RAM GUY". Actually I'm not opposed to RAM at all. I just like my Fords. GM's on the other hand have treated me very poorly. The last good GM I had, that was a good vehicle was a '73 Lemans Sport Coupe. I wish I still had it! I don't hate diesels, not at all. I just want better simplicity in an engine. I know that motor can definitely handle that size trailer no problem. But, I'm not going to be just a weekend RV'er. I read some other posts with gassers as well. I'm not sure they're full-timers. Maybe I'm looking for a unicorn, I don't know. But the 7.3l has been out for 2 years now, so sombody owns one ...... and a 5er.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:

I will back what Danny has to say. One thing you will see mentioned in gas towing guides is frontal area. Both my 2001 and 2016 Ram CTD there is no mention of frontal area in the owners manual in the towing section. In my earlier gas trucks it was always mentioned.
This is where towing in a head wind comes into play, the torque of the diesel makes towing into a headwind much more relaxed.
The 7.3 is rated to tow about 18,000# with 4.30’s, our 2016 is rated to tow 25,225# with 3.73’s also adds to the relaxed driving experience.

If you are ok with or want a gas engine the the 7.3 will do ok, but in my opinion diesel will make for more relaxed towing.
If getting a diesel don’t get a Ford, they insist on sticking with the Bosch 4.2 HPFP that when it fails contaminates the entire fuel system. Ram and GM use different pumps that don’t have that issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:

One last note to the OP on why most that tow over about 15,000# got with a diesel. This is the latest TFL Truck test I could find, I need to sharpen my search skills. This is towing 30,000# up the Ike, and they test the Ram, but also refer back to the GM and Ford also, this is the 2020 test.

https://tfltruck.com/2020/02/does-th...ng-test-video/
Old 02-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #10
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
One last note to the OP on why most that tow over about 15,000# got with a diesel. This is the latest TFL Truck test I could find, I need to sharpen my search skills. This is towing 30,000# up the Ike, and they test the Ram, but also refer back to the GM and Ford also, this is the 2020 test.

Those guys do the best test. I tow that pass at least 3 times a year. It is a beast. They also did that tow test with the new electric Rivian. You should watch that. Electric trucks have monster torque, just can't go very far without recharging. That Ram truck was impressive. Hope the OP took note. After reading all the post I would say that the lack of anyone who used the gasser combo he was curious about was a statement of it's own.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Those guys do the best test. I tow that pass at least 3 times a year. It is a beast. They also did that tow test with the new electric Rivian. You should watch that. Electric trucks have monster torque, just can't go very far without recharging. That Ram truck was impressive. Hope the OP took note. After reading all the post I would say that the lack of anyone who used the gasser combo he was curious about was a statement of it's own.
Yes I have, the towing was impressive, the mileage not so much!
Once battery storage improvements are made for capacity they could be the next diesel.

Old 02-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

Just to be clear, notice what they're hauling, where it's loaded on the trailer, neither can be compared to towing 5th wheel rvs.
The max tow rating for the Ram was 34k+lbs, for a 5th wheel rv that would require a 7800lb+ payload for the 23% pin weight on that 3500 dually, fairly certain it's not nearly that much.
To repeat what's been said here numerous times, truck max tow rating & rv dry/shipping weights in the rv world mean absolutely nothing & are totally useless for calculating truck/rv towing capabilities.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just to be clear, notice what they're hauling, where it's loaded on the trailer, neither can be compared to towing 5th wheel rvs.
The max tow rating for the Ram was 34k+lbs, for a 5th wheel rv that would require a 7800lb+ payload for the 23% pin weight on that 3500 dually, fairly certain it's not nearly that much.
To repeat what's been said here numerous times, truck max tow rating & rv dry/shipping weights in the rv world mean absolutely nothing & are totally useless for calculating truck/rv towing capabilities.
No not towing an RV, but just to be clear all weights matter. Without a dry/shipping weight you can’t calculate carrying capacity/ payload!
Max towing is measured to a standard that includes towing a certain weight up a certain grade, a standard test. True the trailer used in those test is a flat bed so the load can be placed as to not exceed the tow vehicle payload.
Payload can also be misleading, a gas DRW will have in excess of a 6,000# payload. Well 23% of 24,000# is 5,520#, well with a 6,000#+ payload a gas DRW could carry a 24,000# 5er, but I sure would not want to pull that much with gas.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #14
adeakins

Quote:

The Ford F-350 7.3 gas has replaced the V-10 in a range of motor homes including class ‘A’s. In a long-bed dually crew cab form factor with appropriate axle, Ford says it can safely pull 20,000lbs. Using the 80% rule, up to 16,000 lbs should be fine. Length of trailer isn’t relevant (but brings on its own issues). I pulled my 41’ Montana for going in 3 years now. East coast and western states up to 8,000 ft. The considerations you have to make are not much different than those you make with diesel … except you’ll find fuel easier to find and cheaper than the diesels. I’ve had diesels. My last was a ‘99 7.3 turbo. Loved it. After 2016, diesel became less and less attractive for my needs. That aside, I’ve not struggled with topography any more with the gas than I did with the diesel.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #15
falcondan95705

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeakins View Post
The Ford F-350 7.3 gas has replaced the V-10 in a range of motor homes including class ‘A’s. In a long-bed dually crew cab form factor with appropriate axle, Ford says it can safely pull 20,000lbs. Using the 80% rule, up to 16,000 lbs should be fine. Length of trailer isn’t relevant (but brings on its own issues). I pulled my 41’ Montana for going in 3 years now. East coast and western states up to 8,000 ft. The considerations you have to make are not much different than those you make with diesel … except you’ll find fuel easier to find and cheaper than the diesels. I’ve had diesels. My last was a ‘99 7.3 turbo. Loved it. After 2016, diesel became less and less attractive for my needs. That aside, I’ve not struggled with topography any more with the gas than I did with the diesel.
I disagree... Diesel is very easy to find.. We are talking a Naturally aspirated gas motor.. At 6000 ft it will lose about 30 percent of its rated power. Also, Unlike the Diesel that is Turbo charged and loses no power at high altitudes the Diesel makes it power way down low..The gas engine you are talking about has that 425 horsepower over 5000 rpms and the torque is half that of the diesel. It's torque not horsepower that moves a load up a mountain. Also in the article they claimed a brake use 7x going down the mountain.. The Diesels use an exhaust brake to slow not the service brakes.. I think what manufactures are doing is trying to keep prices down. As you may be aware of Diesel Pick up Trucks are hitting the 100,000 dollar price point..The article also state a service life of 300k miles.. Is there something different in this engine that does no allow oil dilution when gas and oil are mixed? The reason Diesels last so long is because unlike gasoline that is an oil distillate, diesel fuel lubricates since it is more like an oil.....As far as a gas going up long grades as easy as a Diesel and at the same speeds, I have never been passed by a gas engine towing a load or a gas motorhome for that matter...
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #16
Roper46

My 5er GVWR is 12200# and I can't imagine pulling anything at this weight or higher with anything but a diesel. The diesel exhaust brake in my opinion is worth it's weight in gold.

I know the OP stated he already has feed back ref the diesel pullers, but just my opinion.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #17
NH_Bulldog

I have done quite a bit of research for my next truck and I am pretty much sold on the 7.3. However, for your situation I think diesel is the way to go. I watched the towing video and 2.2 mpg on that hill doesn’t concern me. We all go up hills, down hills, and across flats. The average MPG is what counts.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:09 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
I posted this question on a different forum. I got lots of great comments and advise. But, I didn't receive any responses from people who actually use this combination. And maybe, there's not too many who do. I'm sure I titled my post wrong.

I'm wanting to order our new TV. Our future upgraded 5er will max out between 15k -16,350 lbs, but that's not till the new truck is here.

We plan to full-time for about 4 years, then we would switch to being longtimers. I'm looking at the Ford CCLB, probably a dually, with the 7.3l gas motor and 4:30 axle ratio. Ideally, we will travel, and bed down for 1 to 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. I'm just looking for full timers who are using this engine right now to give their thoughts on it. Good and bad. I'm really hoping to find out about mountain grades, fuel range and your driving experience. Most of all, was it a good decision, or do you regret it?
I received lots of good info from the other post for going diesel, just looking at the other side of the coin.

Thanks and happy trails to all!

I remembered this video that popped up on my YouTube feed ..this guy likes it but is towing a tt
Old 02-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #19
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I remembered this video that popped up on my YouTube feed ..this guy likes it but is towing a tt
I did see several of his videos. He had a gasser, went to diesel, then back to gas. But your right, he's pulling a 6-7k lb TT. He didn't hate his diesel, it was just overkill for his needs. He absolutely loves that setup, but even he did comment back to me that he is a weekender.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:17 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Quote:
I did see several of his videos. He had a gasser, went to diesel, then back to gas. But your right, he's pulling a 6-7k lb TT. He didn't hate his diesel, it was just overkill for his needs. He absolutely loves that setup, but even he did comment back to me that he is a weekender.
Lerd, glad you noticed the size to the trailer and the fact he is a weekender. I was ask at the park I am hosting to take the F350 dump bed V10 six speed manual and flat bed trailer to pickup some equipment. I took a flat bed about 18' long to pick up a bucket for a John Deer 5000 series tractor, and a mowing flail, total weight guessing around 6 to 7K. This is an 2008 truck, I knew the weight was back there, but not terrible. The road back to the park is mostly up hill. There were a couple tight corners where I was down to 3rd, really like 2nd, as the manual has a granny low for getting heavy loads moving.

My point is towing 6K to 7K gas with deep gears will do fine, you are looking at towing twice that with a BIG SAIL right behind the cab get a diesel.

Tags
gas, tow, towing