Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
sstedman

Diesel Fuel Fill Up

I just traded in my 2014 F150 for a 2018 F250 Super Duty with a diesel engine. My question is, when filling up at a truck stop can I pull into a fill up lane where the truckers get their fuel? I am pulling a Cougar Xlite and I have seen people with diesel engines fill up at the auto pumps. Also, is the diesel fuel the same type for the big rigs as it is for my truck.
sstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
Danno

Yes you can but... I don't because that trucker is trying to make a living and time is money. The pump he or she uses is a high speed pump and the pumps set out for us are not. As a courtesy I don't.

The fuel however is the exact fuel for our truck as it is for theirs with one exception, there is also off road diesel that is tax exempt that has a die added to it, that if caught using it (at least here in Oregon) the fine is steep.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

The hose is set up with a giant spout (nozzle) for the large comm truck tanks. To fuel you need to baby the handle and hold it so only a small amount comes out or it shuts itself off. A real pain in the ****. That's why they have D fuel at the other islands for us pickups. Your paying the same price at either, the lower price you see posted at the comm truck lane is only if you have a PUC plate. At least that's what I found out and only tried it once years ago.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Howler

Fine in California for using red diesel is $10,000 per gal of fuel regardless of how much fuel you had in your vehicle when you put the red diesel in your tank.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Badbart56

I hauled RV's commercially for a summer after I retired from law enforcement. I tried to avoid the truck stops just because they were charging .20-.30 cents a gallon more for diesel than the independent stations were. That may not seem like a lot but when your monthly fuel bill is $19,000.00, the pennies count. Never had an issue when I did use the truck stop though. Just pull your rig up when you get done so the next rig can pull in. Having DOT numbers on your truck gives you some validity though I suppose.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Javi

Only time I use the BIG BOY pumps is if I can't fit in the pickup lanes..

Which happens once in a while when you're 60ft long and 13' 8" high... the local Pilot truck stop has RV lanes but they dead end into the curb parking for the building and it is impossible to turn from them..
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
K_N_L

I look for accessible RV lanes first else use the truck fuel lanes to avoid getting in a bind around the car islands. Most fuel lanes require you present a credit card at the desk for pre-authorization, and you need to specific a dollar amount else you might end up with a $500 hold on your card.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Same fuel, the off road diesel will damage your truck as it is not low sulfur. The repairs would be more costly than the fines. I don't use the truck pumps unless forced to either by pump island positioning or low fuel desperation. If you plan ahead you won't get into those bad situations. There are aps available for "rv friendly" fuel stops and google earth satellite images are good also. Bear in mind also that truck stop pumps on the truck side do not take credit cards, typically only company fuel cards so you must go in, wait in line, pre pay, often with a substantial hold on your card. Then pump and then return to the cashier for your receipt and to reset the pump.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

If the "regular" pumps have a height POSTED of 14' or more and it looks like I can get away from them cleanly I'll use them, otherwise I use the truck pumps. I'd rather have to walk in and leave my card than wipe out an air conditioner or get stuck not being able to pull out. Never had a problem, go in leave your card, come back and pump, pull forward out of the way of anyone behind you and go back and finish the purchase. You do have to be careful of the big nozzles but I just set it on the slow notch and watch how much is being pumped and when I think it's getting close to full I take over by hand and really slow it down.
Also I am finding more of the fuel stops will take my card at the pump than before.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
captcolour

I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #11
Laredo Tugger

I had a gasser, now have a diesel.
I WAS looking forward to using the truck stops for fueling up. Easier access as one good reason. No more Google maps and "planned attacks" on specific (gas) fuel pumps at accessible stations.
I am not one that is comfortable putting my "recreational" vehicle in the path of someone trying to make a living, but so far what I understand here is, there are enough pumps (truck lanes) available, the (commercial) pump nozzles are faster than standard pumps making for less time filling our smaller tanks, and some of these lanes are getting updated with "pay at pump" service (again faster fueling). And when done fueling, get out of the way.
If I adhere to the above code of conduct, am I good to get fuel at these places? Thanks,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I had a gasser, now have a diesel.
I WAS looking forward to using the truck stops for fueling up. Easier access as one good reason. No more Google maps and "planned attacks" on specific (gas) fuel pumps at accessible stations.
I am not one that is comfortable putting my "recreational" vehicle in the path of someone trying to make a living, but so far what I understand here is, there are enough pumps (truck lanes) available, the (commercial) pump nozzles are faster than standard pumps making for less time filling our smaller tanks, and some of these lanes are getting updated with "pay at pump" service (again faster fueling). And when done fueling, get out of the way.
If I adhere to the above code of conduct, am I good to get fuel at these places? Thanks,
RMc
Short answer: YES. Long answer, well lots of other reading an this thread. Use the pump, get out of way of pump. Everybody gets to enjoy the easy in, easy out. Everybody gets to pay their road taxes. Pretty easy-peasy.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
On The Road Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcolour View Post
I use the truck island all the time when pulling the 5th wheel. No worries about height or getting out. I always pull forward when finished. You can usually click on the first indent on the nozzle lock without shutting off. Fills quick which is nice. Also you have the DEF right there if needed. Also nice to have access to the windshield squeegee with the long handle.

I have a Good Sam's card so always look for a Flying J/Pilot to take the discount. Rarely ever have to go inside first at Flying J/Pilot. Have at others though.
X2. I just completed a 1000 mile leisurely trip and used the truck lanes every time while hooked up. I think the truckers get it and don't consider us interfering with their ability to "make a living." Fill up and pull forward. YMMV.

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
2012 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 103CI
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low (Wife's)
2016 Harley-Davidson Freewheeler (Wife's)
2015 Polaris Ranger 570 EPS Bronze Mist
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
JeeperMark

Diesel Fuel

I've been using the truck pumps when I have my 38ft 5th wheel hooked up. Truckers don't mind and are even helpful. The large fill spout fits nicely in my Silverado 2500HD fill tube as well as my 50 gallon Trsnsfer Flow AUX tank. I usually fill at full speed (flow) until it clicks off then I reduce the speed to top it off. Also, there are so many truck pumps/lanes at the stations they are rarely full. I found using the car pumps can be difficult as the area around them can be difficult to maneuver in and out of.
JeeperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
louielouieohoh

Quote:

Ditto ...

B20 D Fuel and a nozzle for DEF. Those of you not using DEF dont know the pain of using 1 gallon bottles to fill your 5 gallon DEF tank.
louielouieohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #16
Hblick48

Quote:

Same here for Flying J/Pilot. I always use truck islands because you know you will always be able to get in and get out without worrying. Pull in, fuel up, move forward, pay. I have a Wright Express card which is usually always accepted at the pumps. We then usually pull into one of the parking spaces to use the potty, walk the dog (WATCH OUT FOR TRAFFIC), and make lunch. Never had an issue with truckers, but our stops are usually early afternoon, so there are always lots of empty spaces.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
RKL-Eads

Quote:

Use the truck lanes if no RV lanes accessible. Also look for Pilot/Flying J and have the RV Plus Card which allows use at truck pumps and gives a discount. Have to be a Good Sam member but makes life much easier. Check out below link.

https://www.rvpluscard.com/
RKL-Eads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #18
NealBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Same fuel, the off road diesel will damage your truck as it is not low sulfur. The repairs would be more costly than the fines. I don't use the truck pumps unless forced to either by pump island positioning or low fuel desperation. If you plan ahead you won't get into those bad situations. There are aps available for "rv friendly" fuel stops and google earth satellite images are good also. Bear in mind also that truck stop pumps on the truck side do not take credit cards, typically only company fuel cards so you must go in, wait in line, pre pay, often with a substantial hold on your card. Then pump and then return to the cashier for your receipt and to reset the pump.
Sorry, but that is not the case. The off-road diesel is the same exact fuel as on-road diesel with the exception of the harmless dye added to show that no tax has been paid. This is supposed to be for farming, construction or any other non-tagged machine.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Soundslike the comm. fueling pumps work better then in the early 1990s when I tried them in a pickup. Good to know.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #20
saturn450

Fuel

I got a bigger fuel tank so I can avoid the truck stops. I drive all day unhook and go into town and get fuel. By the way it’s usually 10to15 cents cheaper a gallon than the truck stops.
saturn450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel