Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
c2gerhardt

Tire Tread separation on Toy Hauler

We had a complete tire failure that resulted in tread separation on a Carlisle Tire. We have Carlisle Radial Trail ST235/80R16. Tire pressure is checked ever trip and was inflated to 80psi. The tires only have about 8000 miles on them. We had a moderate load in the toy hauler. We have a 2011 Fuzion 360.

Anybody have any advise on what replacement tires to get or best approach to take for repairing sheet metal? It really did a job on the left side. See attached pic.

Thinking about claiming it on insurance, but the Keystone RV dealer takes months to repair anything. Very frustrating...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130805_185517_LLS_small.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	3839  
c2gerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
BeerCan

Sorry that tire tore up your trailer.
I have the Sailun S637 on my Fuzion 310 and I have been happy with them so far. http://gosailun.com/Tires/Sailun/All%20Position/335

Another good choice but more expensive is the GoodYear G614 http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160007

Check to make sure you wheel can handle the 110 psi these tires require. My Fuzion wheels were stamped on the backside and I was able to see the rating without removing the tire.

If you need new wheels then I would move to 17.5" Many people like this dealer http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ I personally have never used them.
BeerCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
jadatis

These ST tires have a maximum load of about 15% more then an 235/85R16 LT tire, I searched for once and calculated for 80 psi pressure needed for the maximum load.

This is because of the more deflection they suppose to are allowed wich gives more surface on the ground so more load to carry with same pressure.

Thats the Theory, but in practice its better to give them the same deflection as a LT tire would have . This can be done with higher pressure , but you think the 80psi to be the maximum of the tire, like it is also for a standardload personscar tire.
But they print the maximum pressure ( further Pmax) on a Standload and also on a XL/Extraload/reinforced-tire ( different names for same kind of tire) and this is not the pressure they need for the maximum load up to 99m/h and no camber-angle. Normal car tire this pressure called the reference-pressure (further Pr) is 35psi for American tires and for XL// 41 psi . Difference between Pr and Pmax is used for higher speed and camber-angle above 2.

From C-load tires ( yours are 80 psi so E-load) they print something like this on the sidewall of the tire "maximum load xxxx lbs AT yyy psi(cold).
Then this yyy is the Pr and not the Pmax. So its allowed to go over that.
Found European article of Semperit( continental) in wich when standing still , the tire is allowed to carry 2 times the maximum load AT 1.4 times the Pr, so concluded that Pmax = 1.4 X Pr.

Even found an American article in wich is sayd that American TRA allows 10 psi above Pr for more load for LT tire, and better riding quality. For truck tires its even 20 psi. And for verry low speed even more load to carry then Pmax. here the article of goodyear with at botom page 1 and page 2 about that extra allowed. For ST I also found this 10psi higher but cant find it anymore , and it is for higher then 65m/h up to 75m/h and beter riding quality.
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/edb_loads.pdf

What can you do with this information.
If your valves can stand it, you can put 90psi in the same kind of tire when they are new , and probably this is enaugh to give the tire less deflection , so the treath wont come loose from it by to much bending of the sidewall. Because this is what happened at your tire.
together with some loadshifting to lighten up the side of the damaged tire, is probably also needed.

You can calculate a save pressure with my Traveltrailer-tirepressurecalculator, to be found in next map on my public map of skydrive wich belongs to my hotmail adress with same username as here.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e...E092E6DC%21348
To use a spreadsheet first download it by RIGHTCLICKING on it, then choose download from the dropdownbox. Not use the top 2 things or leftclick , first cant handle things I used in my spreadsheets, and second asks you to log in with your hotmail adres and password.
After download and eventual viruscheck ( you never know what those Dutch put in to it) it is opened in Excell or Open office CALC if you leftclick on the downloaded document.
Or you give the details , and I will do it for you with a picture of the filled in spreadsheet in my anwering post.

Best always is to weigh per side beter even, but in absence of that we have to do with the GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating).

Hope this information helps you at your decicion for the new tires
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
c2gerhardt

thanks for the info

beercan: what kind of wheels/tires came on your 310? I looked on the back of mine but there were only code stamps on back
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
gearhead

Maxxis seems to be popular.
http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tra...ST-Radial.aspx
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
BeerCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2gerhardt View Post
thanks for the info

beercan: what kind of wheels/tires came on your 310? I looked on the back of mine but there were only code stamps on back
Mine look like this
BeerCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #7
c2gerhardt

I have Series 06 wheels. I sent them a message asking for more information. They have two 8bolt wheels. One rated at 3200lbs/85psi and the other at 3920lbs/110psi. I would assume it is the 3920lb wheel since the Carlisles are rated at 3420, but never assume. I will post when I find out. Thanks again.