Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
VickiA

Winter Camping Outings

My husband and I plan to take our 2020 Cougar 29BHS out every other week to pheasant hunt in eastern CO, Kansas or Nebraska through January. We will watch the weather forcast but if it is simply cold and not a storm, we intend to go out. I am looking for advice on how to winterize in between trips. Right now I am thinking that we will drain tanks and water heater, blow out the lines with air and maybe only put antifreeze in drains. Thoughts? Be nice - newbies here... Thanks in advance.
VickiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
dutchmensport

We've done our fair share of cold weather camping and here is how we do it.

First, if remaining in freeze country, the camper is winterized 100%, everything.

We then revert back to old school tent camping days where we used a portable port-a-potty, cat baths, and warmed water on the stove. We bring our water in separate jugs (6 gallon jugs), and make sure we can dump our dish water or bath water on the ground outside.

For week-ends, or 3 day week-end trips, this works great. When we get home, we can dump the port-a-potty down the toilet at home, rinse it out, and have it ready for the next time.

We keep plastic tubs in the kitchen sink as a reminder to never pour anything down the drain.

If you do this, you can enjoy cold weather camping immensely, and not have to worry about freezing pipes or holding tanks in your camper. The secret to such a successful journey, is to simply adjust your mind set... no water in the camper at all. Pretend the camper is a tent and the sink, toilet, and shower does not exist. And you'll have some happy camping.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
VickiA

Thank you! There is some simple beauty to that idea - we are just hunting, don't have to impress anyone... My husband is on the fence. Mostly the toilet concerns him.
VickiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We've done our fair share of cold weather camping and here is how we do it.

First, if remaining in freeze country, the camper is winterized 100%, everything.

We then revert back to old school tent camping days where we used a portable port-a-potty, cat baths, and warmed water on the stove. We bring our water in separate jugs (6 gallon jugs), and make sure we can dump our dish water or bath water on the ground outside.

For week-ends, or 3 day week-end trips, this works great. When we get home, we can dump the port-a-potty down the toilet at home, rinse it out, and have it ready for the next time.

We keep plastic tubs in the kitchen sink as a reminder to never pour anything down the drain.

If you do this, you can enjoy cold weather camping immensely, and not have to worry about freezing pipes or holding tanks in your camper. The secret to such a successful journey, is to simply adjust your mind set... no water in the camper at all. Pretend the camper is a tent and the sink, toilet, and shower does not exist. And you'll have some happy camping.
Very good advice.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiA View Post
Thank you! There is some simple beauty to that idea - we are just hunting, don't have to impress anyone... My husband is on the fence. Mostly the toilet concerns him.
On the plus side, there will probably be no one else camping except maybe a few other hunters. More trees will be available for him.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
PappyD

I have a similar situation coming up. (I'm also pretty new - at least to winter camping) Wifey not to keen on doing the bucket trick with the porta-potty. #1 or #2 outside is a deal-breaker.

"What if" I use only the black tank and manually flush with water and maybe a little RV antifreeze? My thought would be the toilet sits right over the 30 gallon tank. It would start out empty and would be maybe 1/3 third full at best over a 3 day period. I was planning on a 5 gal jug of water stored in the shower and doing the manual flush - no water pump use. (or any water use at all like the original poster) The waste in the tank would probably freeze as a semi-solid with all the antifreeze in there.

I'm in central Indiana so we could have some low digit temps in January.

Just a thought.....
PappyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:08 AM   #7
skids

What if the black dump site is closed to prevent freezing of the water taps and hoses? What if your semi-solid junk gets stuck in the stinky slinky? I say just use the outhouses and make the seat sanitary as needed.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
What if the black dump site is closed to prevent freezing of the water taps and hoses? What if your semi-solid junk gets stuck in the stinky slinky? I say just use the outhouses and make the seat sanitary as needed.
Or invest in a portable cassette toilet for around $60, put it in the shower (on a towel to prevent scratching the shower pan) and when it's full, dump it in the outhouse or in the toilet at a gas station/or at home..... That way, the entire trailer plumbing system is still winterized, including all the holding tanks.... The trailer "becomes a hardwall tent with central heating".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
nb_hall

Is it necessary to take winterizing precautions for short dips below freezing? This coming week my camper will be a few hours away and the temps will slightly dip below freezing for a few hours in the morning. Should I be worried and run out there to drain it all? We're in North East Texas, and weren't expecting this weather change. I know the water tank has quiet a bit in it and the grey and black tanks are near empty, maybe a 1/4 at most. 2021 Hideout 272BH...
nb_hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
CrazyCain

We just got back from our trailer up north and do what JRTJH suggested. We put the porta potty in the tub and dump it down the sewer outlet outside the trailer which is still available. Bring jugs and bottled water for coffee and drinking..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter