Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
NZRich

Keystone Cougar 304 BHS info request

Hi All. I am looking at buying a 304 BHS for a two month trip around the East Coast of the US. My family (wife and two small children) and I are traveling over from New Zealand and I would like to get some feedback on these trailers. I am looking at a 2005/ 2006 model. Anything good or bad about these trailers? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
f6bits

I’d say it sure looks like a winner, but it’s HUGE! Make sure you have something equally large to tow with. As with any trailer, that one has a few years on it, and if it’s been well taken care of, you’ll be fine. If you want to be thorough, go through this list:
http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
NZRich

F350

Thanks sdayman. I will tow it with a F350 Crew cab Diesel. Would you say I am on the right track?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
f6bits

Yeah, that’ll do it. But with something that strong, why not get a fifth wheel trailer? If I was towing for thousands of miles, I’d get a fifth. Though the price on the Cougar may be hard to beat.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
NZRich

I need to rent the truck to tow it so a fifth wheel gets a bit harder than a straight tow vehicle.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

If you are going to be towing with an F350, that will allow you to safely tow that sized TT and many larger sized units as well. I am assuming that any towing that you have done in NZ would have involved a trailer or caravan as opposed to a 5th wheel. If you are used to a trailer, that might be the best option for you rather than a 5th wheel although many, including myself, prefer a 5th wheel. Which type is a matter of personal preference and needs. I see that you are renting your tow vehicle so a TT would make more sense since you don't have to bother with buying and installing a special hitch for towing a 5th.
I am not sure how many of our members own an '04 or '05 Cougar 304BHS but if you do a search using the forum's Search feature, you might come up with some posts or threads concerning that model or something similar.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
NZRich

Thanks Festus 2. You are right, not having to install the hitch is the main reason for a TT rather than a Fifth wheel. No one has said anything bad about a Cougar yet so I am guessing they may be as good as any trailer.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Everyone has an opinion, but I think most here would agree that the Cougar is as good as nearly every other RV. The problem you may face is that the Cougar you're looking at purchasing is 7 years old. A lot can happen to a trailer in that length of time, so it's not possible to compare that individual RV to anything else. It is an "unknown" with no warranty, and from what you've said, a fairly unknown past history as well. It may very well be a wonderful RV in "almost new" condition, or it may be one that has been abused, not maintained, dragged around until it's "worn out" or lived in and so "broken down" that it barely functions any more.

I'd urge you to be cautious with any purchase of a 7 or 8 year old RV. Especially if you'll be buying it essentially "sight unseen." It's unfortunate, and I hate to say this, but there are people in America who would take advantage of a situation like this and take advantage of you. That said, there are a larger number of people who are honest, caring and would NEVER think of taking advantage of anyone, regardless of the situation, and that's the vast majority of people I hope you come to know while visiting our country, but it only takes one person to take advantage of you and it's difficult to know what anyone is thinking.

Be careful in your planning and especially in your negotiations.

I know this sounds "terrible" to say the above things. But I don't think anyone on this forum would want to see you taken advantage of when you visit our country. Please be careful in your negotiations.

Cheers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Hawkfan

I have a 2004 29.5 Couger and so far no real complaints. We have had it for the last two years and the only issue I had was the fridge needed to be rebuilt. We found out on the first trip out that it wasn't working.

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRich View Post
Hi All. I am looking at buying a 304 BHS for a two month trip around the East Coast of the US. My family (wife and two small children) and I are traveling over from New Zealand and I would like to get some feedback on these trailers. I am looking at a 2005/ 2006 model. Anything good or bad about these trailers? Thanks.
I owned this TT before we traded for the 5er. Large with room to move around. quad bunkhouse for kids with room for them, drop down table if needed to sleep on, jack knife couch same it can be used for sleeping also. master bedroom is a short queen bed. 6 inches shorter than full queen size. lots of storage room all over the camper. pantry is good sized and watch that door with main slide out. pulls fine with right WDW and sway control , but with a dually you should be more than adequate. I pulled with F-350 SRW. I never had a problem. This camper served my family well for almost 7years. Once the kids grew up and out we made the move to a MOM&POP version 5er that we liked.
I can not say anything bad about our 304/5BHS.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
NZRich

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Thread is Now Closed

Since the OP has received numerous responses to his question and has thanked all of the members who responded, the thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread