Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Dave Gamble

RV Campground refund during coronavirus

On Feb 20th we booked a reservation at a private campground in SC (close to Charlotte, NC) for March 18th-April 1st, which required a non-refundable $54.38 deposit. Due to the coronavirus I called on March 13th and rescheduled our stay for April 22nd-May 5th. I was told due to the coronavirus they would reschedule my reservation once but if I canceled or rescheduled again we would lose our deposit.

We live in Ohio (7th largest population in the country) where schools have been closed since March 16th and there's been a non-essential services/stay at home order since March 23rd. These orders have now been extended to May 1st and could be extended longer. Today I received a reservation confirmation email from the campground containing the statement in bold print ***DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE - NO EXCEPTIONS***. This campground has long term residents so frankly I'm shocked they are allowing short term tenants in especially from other states.

All the restaurants in both NC & SC are closed and the purpose of our trip to the Carolina's was to visit family and friends who are currently sheltering in place. We have no choice but to cancel the trip and are hesitant to reschedule until we know when it will be safe. The coronavirus is expected to peak in SC on April 28th.

My question is do you think I should push to get our deposit back or just let it go.

The DW of Dave Gamble
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two "opposing motivations" at work here:

The campground wants to keep as much money as possible, especially when they are "for the most part, closed for business"... It may mean the difference in closing permanently or maybe surviving this crisis.

The OP wants to keep as much money as possible, especially when it's not safe, not convenient and not responsible to travel to the campground...

So, what to do? I'd suspect that the OP made reservations, in good faith, expecting to pay the agreed amount for campsite use. The deposit was probably paid for with a credit card. The credit card company has some leverage in this situation. If I were the OP and I KNOW POSITIVELY that I'm not going to make the trip under current conditions AND I know/reasonably expect that it will be unsafe to travel during the time of the reservations, I would cancel them, cut my losses and appeal to the credit card company using the "pandemic" as the reason for cancellation. They "may" (not guaranteed) reimburse the lost deposit. At the very least, they will contact the campground with "the weight of their company" to appeal to their better business practices.

The worst case appears to be the loss of $50. In this day and age, most of us will "drop more than that" just taking the family to a movie or to McDonald's for a meal.

I know it's the "principle" that matters, but $50 ain't earth shattering when it comes to keeping the family safe, healthy and protected from this disease...

I suppose, losing the deposit is better than "not losing it and risking the family".... I do know that if that campground wouldn't work with me on this situation, I'd NEVER IN HELL ever spend another dollar at their business.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Logan X

Just my personal opinion, and we were in a similar situation, I did not ask the campground for a refund of the deposit for a trip we had scheduled next week because my guess is their business is probably hurting right now. We are fortunately in a position where we can afford to do that. I think it is important right now to try and help struggling businesses as much as possible.

Like I said, just my opinion and everyone should make their own decisions based on their financial situation.

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is struggling.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
notanlines

We had a thread with basically this same discussion maybe a month or so ago. After much discussion from both sides, the general consensus was that a fair settlement would be for the RV park to honor your deposit for a stay at a later date. In looking at both sides, I would still like my money back, but that probably isn't in your future.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

I would take the RV park to court and have my lawyer make the case that you are from Ohio and that all the schools are closed in spite of the stated in writing no refunds policy. RV park is likely hurting right now and many have been notes on the big properties needed and probably not in a real generous mood.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I would take the RV park to court and have my lawyer make the case that you are from Ohio and that all the schools are closed in spite of the stated in writing no refunds policy. RV park is likely hurting right now and many have been notes on the big properties needed and probably not in a real generous mood.
Seriously? You would pay an attorney for a $50 non refund policy? I'll bet they are lining up waiting for someone like you to pay them.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
Dave Gamble

First, I want to thank everyone for your replies. I appreciate your thoughts and advice on our situation.

I'm not going to contact an attorney since the campground has always been very clear about their non-refundable deposit policy. And yes, $54 isn't that much money and I have considered letting this privately owned campground keep the deposit to help them out. The deposit was put on Visa but I don't feel it would be morally right to contest the charge since again, the campground has been clear about their cancelation policy. My preferred outcome would be for them to hold our deposit until this national crisis is over and we can safely reschedule our trip but my gut tells me they won't go for it. However, it never hurts to ask nicely. If we do make an arrangement I'll let you all know.

The DW
Old 04-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
notanlines

Marshall, I believe George may have been 'tongue in cheek' on that post. His point being that there is simply a 'no refund policy' and you pretty well have to liv with it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
Northofu1

I have a site booked at Letchworth, Cedar Point, and Wellesley Island in NY state. Their website says.
"COVID-19 UPDATE:
Early Season Camping and Pavilion/Shelters: Due to the global health crisis, all campsites, cabins, cottages, and pavilions/shelters are CLOSED through May 14th. All visitors with reservations will be issued a full refund. We ask for your patience as refunds are processed. Campgrounds are open for passive recreation in daytime.
Camping Reservations and Pavilion/Shelter Reservations: New York State has suspended all new camping, cabin and cottage and pavilion/shelter reservations for the 2020 season until further notice. We are assessing campground and pavilion status on a daily basis. If you've made a reservation for the season beginning May 15, and we determine your facility is safe to open, your reservation will be honored. However, visitors who wish to cancel an existing reservation may do so and receive a full refund. Thank you for your patience as we work to protect the safety of our visitors and staff."

I think that's fair.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Marshall, I believe George may have been 'tongue in cheek' on that post. His point being that there is simply a 'no refund policy' and you pretty well have to liv with it.
I would hope.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gamble View Post
First, I want to thank everyone for your replies. I appreciate your thoughts and advice on our situation.

I'm not going to contact an attorney since the campground has always been very clear about their non-refundable deposit policy. And yes, $54 isn't that much money and I have considered letting this privately owned campground keep the deposit to help them out. The deposit was put on Visa but I don't feel it would be morally right to contest the charge since again, the campground has been clear about their cancelation policy. My preferred outcome would be for them to hold our deposit until this national crisis is over and we can safely reschedule our trip but my gut tells me they won't go for it. However, it never hurts to ask nicely. If we do make an arrangement I'll let you all know.

The DW

You think very much like I do given the circumstances. I have a friend that owns an RV park in FL and things are tight. They have been upfront about their policy from the gitgo and moved it once due to a cancellation. In reality they've fulfilled their end of the bargain.

I also think asking nice, explaining your particular situation (I'm sure they are well aware of the virus) and asking if they would move it forward one more time (make sure you know a concrete date) and see if they won't help you out. I'm hoping they do.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I was serious! This is my lawyer and I suggest you call him and get all the money the law allows:

PS: Geesh... Marshall.. Really? Bwhwhahahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I use Saul Goodman.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
Roscommon48

I'd take a chance and just leave to go south. or dispute the charge on your credit card.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Dave Gamble

I'm not sure why we would still want to make the trip when our entire reason for going is to visit with friends and family who are now and will be sheltering in place. Plus all non-essential businesses are closed including the restaurants. We would end up sitting in our camper for 2 weeks with nothing to do. We can do that at home and not pay $50 a day to do it. And then there's the risk of catching the virus and being 440 miles from home. No thank you! We're staying home for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you're expecting the campground to change their rules for you. They agreed to allow you to move the reservation dates "ONE TIME" without charge. You can't decide when to go with any certainty, but you're wanting them to allow you to change the reservations again, if it's more convenient for your plans. Sounds like you want them to continue to allow you to move reservations based on your needs without regard for their needs...

Based on what you just posted, "We're staying home for the foreseeable future." Your best choice would be to "stay up front with the campground" and tell them that. Cancel your reservations, accept the previously agreed upon terms that you forfeit your deposit and consider that it's not your "fault" nor is it the "fault" of the campground. They are open, you choose to not travel, that choice is yours.

You might ask the campground if they would honor a future reservation and apply the deposit to that visit, but if they don't, you did agree to the terms of forfeiture.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #17
Gegrad

The KOA we booked for this weekend refunded us our deposit (1 of 3 nights) a week or so ago when it became apparent we could not make it. Now OH closed all campgrounds (except to full timers), so we couldn't go even if we had wanted to.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

As kind of a sidenote to this conversation and "refunds", "no refunds" etc.; always be aware of where you are going, the destination, their rules etc.

Seems like a simple thing to a traveler to make plans weeks, probably months, in advance and then something comes up and we want to cancel them, or move them....and it's "your" money. Not really.

Once you've made that reservation and they have ironclad rules about cancellations it's just that way. You know it going in and do everything you can to be able to use them; if not, it's on you. I know folks don't like that but it truly is what it is and folks know that and should accept it.

In popular places when you do that and then back out you cost them money; sometimes much needed money. And, think about this; they took you at your "word" that you would be there and then refused any other offer to rent that space....then you renig. The picture is a lot bigger than what we as just the "traveler" wanting to rent a spot can see.

I've made reservations in FL for the winter. Usually stay 1-5 months. Many places will make you forfeit anywhere from 300-750 if you make a month reservation and then fail to show up. No questions asked....and I don't ask any. They have to make a living too.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:12 AM   #19
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I have a site booked at Letchworth, Cedar Point, and Wellesley Island in NY state. Their website says.
"COVID-19 UPDATE:
Early Season Camping and Pavilion/Shelters: Due to the global health crisis, all campsites, cabins, cottages, and pavilions/shelters are CLOSED through May 14th. All visitors with reservations will be issued a full refund. We ask for your patience as refunds are processed. Campgrounds are open for passive recreation in daytime.
Camping Reservations and Pavilion/Shelter Reservations: New York State has suspended all new camping, cabin and cottage and pavilion/shelter reservations for the 2020 season until further notice. We are assessing campground and pavilion status on a daily basis. If you've made a reservation for the season beginning May 15, and we determine your facility is safe to open, your reservation will be honored. However, visitors who wish to cancel an existing reservation may do so and receive a full refund. Thank you for your patience as we work to protect the safety of our visitors and staff."

I think that's fair.
Those 3 places are also State Parks, not privately owned, so the situation is a little different.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #20
Duramike

Hey everyone, this is a difficult time for all of us. I have lost one deposit so far this year. Had a spot reserved outside Gatlinburg for the end of this month. They kept a little over $60. Not the end of the world there. But... we have a special trip planned in July. A group of us will be traveling thru South Dakota and on to Yellowstone for a month long trek. I do stand to lose quite a bit on that trip if this doesn’t end by then. Most of these reservations were made in October of last year. You know how it is when trying to reserve spots in highly traveled parks. Anyway... hoping this ends soon for all of us. Stay safe everyone and happy camping once we get there! 🙄
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground