Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Bob Landry

Outback 277RL Overhead Lights On A Wall Switch

I've been all over the bedroom in this trailer looking for a switch for the overhead bedroom lights. Nothing. The two ceiling lights are manually operated. It seems strange that all of the overheads in the kitchen and Living are on a switch on the main switch control panel, and both bathroom overhead lights are on a wall switch also. Is anyone else's 277RL also like this or did they just forget to wire my BR lights to a switch?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Txoutback

No Bedroom Switch

Mine is the same way amd my DW is too short to reach the overheads. This was the topic just yesterday and I do not know what to do about it. I do not want to start tearing into it running wire.
Let me know if find the solution.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
Beth323

We have a 260fl and no lights switches in the bedroom either. Makes no sense especially since we have a outside door coming into it. You would think they would put a switch by the door.
Beth323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Bob Landry

There are a couple of things that while they wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, it definitely shows a lack of design planning. One is the big window in the kitchen that is too long to allow a range hood vent to the outside. What makes it even stranger is the window is too low to see out of while you are standing at the sink unless you bend over. Oh well, it looks good from the outside. It's still a nice trailer, I just think that for their "Showcase" 10th Anniversary model, they could have done a little better planning. Keystone, are you listening?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
chuck&gail

Our Outback 230RS is like that in the "spare forward bedroom", or toy area.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Txoutback

Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
One is the big window in the kitchen that is too long to allow a range hood vent to the outside.
Ours has a vent that I 'assumed' shared the fridg vent topside but I could be wrong. It goes somewhere. I don't see the window being that bad unless you are 6'4" or taller. It comes into play when sitting on the couch or dinette.

Did U get the King dinette or wooden table and chairs? We went with the table. Our last one had the booth dinette and hated it plus the table makes it feel less crowded.

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Bob Landry

I got the dinette. I sat on it at the show and it seemed a lot more comfortable that the one we had in the Jayco. The downside of the dinette is that the bench closest to the Ent Center, completely obstructs one of the lower cabinet doors. Just another one of those things that could have benefited from a little forethought.

I'll see if I can find where the range vent goes. Seems I called KS and was told that the range hood wasn't vented.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Txoutback

Strange to have a fan that blows nowhere

If I was to beat on anything it would be:
1) the overhead lights are either both on or off. My last one gave you the option to either turn on one bulb or both. I put low wattage bulbs in the one that came on by itself and a higher wattage in the other. That set up a mood lighting senario if desired. I may replace some with the other style.
2) not much outside storage. There are tons of inside cabinet space but very little outside.
3) the pass-through storage doors are way too narrow

We looked at smaller TTs and asked to see what they had in the 7000# range. MISTAKE. We walked into the 277, saw the bedroom and my DW said this is it. I don't care if your TV can move it or not. Once you look up it's hard to go back down. Mine has been sitting in the driveway for four days waiting for the shakeout trip Friday.
It has to go back for some repairs. So far I have the 12V line feeding the slideout lights is shorted to ground, popping fuses and the lights do not work, the antenna does not rotate freely and the power station hatch is busted and will not stay closed. Someone pryed on it to open it and broke the latch.

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
Bob Landry

That all overhead lights are either on or off is interesting to say the least. All of my main area overheads are controlled by a wall switch, but can individually be turned on or off as long as the wall switch is on, same with the two in the bathroom. The bedroom lights are both individually controlled at the fixture. maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
Txoutback

I mean't there are two bulds in each fixture and both bulbs turn on together. There is no way to turn on just one bulb. The previous TT (PTT) had a three way switch on each fixture for off, one bulb, two bulbs. It was nice to have dim light at times.

One more minor beef I found last night: The spare wheel does not match the other four.

Don't get me wrong, I love this floor plan and she is something to be proud of. I'm just being nit-picky.

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Bob Landry

I understand about the bulbs. I'm sure there are fixtures out there that would do what you are talking about, but I'm not sure the benefit warrants the cost.

My spare wheel/tire is different also. I don't think you are being nit-picky at all. I call it attention to detail and foresight, and planning which should have been done at KS, especially if they were going to market it as an "Anniversary" Edition.

I'm betting the design department was put under the gun to come up with something quick so some project manager could make a deadline and get his bonus..
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
Txoutback

Light Fixtures

You're right about the cost. I tracked them down and they were Thin-Lite - RV - Model 312 at $42 each. There are nice decorative fixtures for a little more so if I start upgrading the lights I would most likely get something more decorative.

There manufacturing engineers and designers are just looking at the bottom $$. As a company they build them to make money. There is a fine line in such a competative market. They have to stay up with the other manufactures pricewise so in doing so they look for every corner to cut. I'm actually starting to have buyers remorse after reading some of the other threads here. I have had it for a week and am starting to think I may have made a mistake. I guess only time will tell though.

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
Bob Landry

In spite of the shortfalls discussed here, I still think it is as good as anything else on the market. And, the floorplan and size is great for two people. I have had to fix a couple of things so far and have a couple more to go, but I'm not upset with it. They are the result of giving an unskilled worker a box of parts and an electric screw driver and sending him out on the production floor. The advantage is that when I complete a repair it is actually repaired and it won't be an issue in the future, more than I can say for taking it back to the dealer for service. As far as I'm concerned, their quality is the same as the builder and the attitude is the same. They are working by the hour and they just want to Get her done.The other builders have their issues. They may vary from one builder to another, but they have them none the less.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Txoutback

Yea, your right. We didn't look at KZ this time because we felt the outbacks and cougars were a step up aestheticly. RVers eye candy if you will. We have been looking at what the OP have assuming they were pleased with them and there are a lot of KS brands on the road. I work in the aerospace field in Houston and my career days here are numbered. We bought this as a contingency plan in case we loose the house and we saw this floorplan as something we could live in if needed.
Standing by for that pink-slip

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
B_Harten

Same thing here, 2012 27RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I've been all over the bedroom in this trailer looking for a switch for the overhead bedroom lights. Nothing. The two ceiling lights are manually operated. It seems strange that all of the overheads in the kitchen and Living are on a switch on the main switch control panel, and both bathroom overhead lights are on a wall switch also. Is anyone else's 277RL also like this or did they just forget to wire my BR lights to a switch?
No switch for bedroom, but not a big deal to us.

I am considering adding under cabinet puck lights to the bottom of the bedside cabinets for reading light anyway.

No remorse here. A much better trailer than the competitors in the same price range.

Towed by either:
2010 Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Duramax
or
2011 Crew Cab Flat Bed 3500HD Duramax
B_Harten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
michol02

I had the same problem with the bedroom as well as the bathroom lights. My wife is "vertically challenged" and couldn't reach them, so I gritted my teeth, drilled some holes, and ran some wire in the ceilings and walls. Pics and brief description in Modifications and Upgrades under "32SAB mods". ( I can't figure out how to link to it directly)

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
msp2jxr

We had the same bedroom problem with the NO LIGHT switch. I replace the one over the bed with motion sensor light and just turn if off when we are ready for bed. Works well for us and I didn't have to dismantel the ceiling to get a light turn on when I needed it.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote