Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #21
kfxgreenie

I've never made it, but Wisconsinites say that copper falls is a must camp for anyone with a RV.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/copperfalls/
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Gearhead, you better knock off the funny stuff about the pasties. Either that or John and I will leaving you eating one of the frozen things out of 7-11.....
^^^ Yup, yup What he said !!! If you're going to be around northern Michigan, drop me a PM with your itinerary, we may be able to give you some 'on scene guiding".... You know, the "real best place' to get "one of them "pastie things"..... And no, it's not even close to a Whataburger taquito thingie".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #23
gearhead

I think I'll pass on the frozen pastie.
I'll keep my eyes open for them though....
Looks like after July 19.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #24
busterbrown

We visited Munising Tourist Park for 5 days this past summer. Don't expect much in terms of amenities. We didn't have a water side view but had full hook ups. Unless you book a site on (or very close to) the water, the road noise can be a nuisance. That was my biggest complaint.

Another option in Munising to see Pictured Rock National Lakeshore up close and personal is to rent a pontoon boat from 1 of 2 rental shops in town. You'll have the luxury of exploring the rock formations at your leisure including docking at several beaches along Grand Island. It's relatively affordable even for a half day rental.

Oh, mosquitoes are the bugs to be most concerned about in June and July. By August, they tend to be less invasive. Our early August trip wasn't spoiled at all. Fans and high powered Deet work well at the campsite.

And as someone else already mentioned, Tahquamenon Falls is a must see if you're already up there. The lower falls can be exciting as you can knee deep in the water right next to the falls. If you do visit the falls, wear good water shoes; you're forewarned.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #25
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'm planning a trip for later 2017 in mid-August to the Dells and then the UP. This is great help! I'm not sure what a pastie thing is, but my curiosity is sky high. Sounds like there is a lot to see and do. I especially like the info about Traverse City. Wouldn't have thought about it. How's the motorcycle riding up north?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #26
gearhead

Chip we had a conversation about pasties among the same suspects as this one a while back. It was uh, informative. Might do a search for pasties. Second thought, with the variable spelling, searching for taquito might be easier.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I'm planning a trip for later 2017 in mid-August to the Dells and then the UP. This is great help! I'm not sure what a pastie thing is, but my curiosity is sky high. Sounds like there is a lot to see and do. I especially like the info about Traverse City. Wouldn't have thought about it. How's the motorcycle riding up north?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
Michigan repealed the helmet law a couple of years ago. Since then there's been a significant increase in M/C's on the "tourist trails"... If you do make it to Traverse City, take the ride west to Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, then up to Leland, Northport, on north to Leelanau State Park, then on the way back, stop at Black Star Farms in Sutton's Bay, have supper and enjoy a slow easy ride along Grand Traverse Bay on your way back to Traverse City.

It's only about a 100 mile trip, but if you stop to take in Sleeping Bear Dunes, stop along the way to Leland for pictures, then spend a little time at Leelanau State Park (there's one road in and one road out), by the time you get back to Traverse City, it'll be an all day, part of the evening, nice slow ride around the peninsula. Traverse City State Park is a good place to park for a day or two. Busy, not real quiet, a pedestrian elevated walkway to the beach, and essentially "right in downtown TC", it's a great place to crash after a full day of "making the rounds" in the area. One consideration is that this far north, it doesn't get dark until after 10PM and the sun is up at 5 (or thereabouts) so a "full day" can easily extend to 16 or 18 hours.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Chip we had a conversation about pasties among the same suspects as this one a while back. It was uh, informative. Might do a search for pasties. Second thought, with the variable spelling, searching for taquito might be easier.
Nothing like that in the Midwest! Maybe, only maybe, a Calzone. I'll put that on my list of things to do and try. I'm pretty sure I'll just tell my DW we're going to go get pasties one night and see if I get the eyebrow! Hah! Thanks for sharing. Too funny.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 12-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #29
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Michigan repealed the helmet law a couple of years ago. Since then there's been a significant increase in M/C's on the "tourist trails"... If you do make it to Traverse City, take the ride west to Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore, then up to Leland, Northport, on north to Leelanau State Park, then on the way back, stop at Black Star Farms in Sutton's Bay, have supper and enjoy a slow easy ride along Grand Traverse Bay on your way back to Traverse City.

It's only about a 100 mile trip, but if you stop to take in Sleeping Bear Dunes, stop along the way to Leland for pictures, then spend a little time at Leelanau State Park (there's one road in and one road out), by the time you get back to Traverse City, it'll be an all day, part of the evening, nice slow ride around the peninsula. Traverse City State Park is a good place to park for a day or two. Busy, not real quiet, a pedestrian elevated walkway to the beach, and essentially "right in downtown TC", it's a great place to crash after a full day of "making the rounds" in the area. One consideration is that this far north, it doesn't get dark until after 10PM and the sun is up at 5 (or thereabouts) so a "full day" can easily extend to 16 or 18 hours.
John, thank you once again. This confirms my choice of vacation spots as right on. Looking forward to visiting your neck of the woods. Have a short winter and early spring!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #30
gearhead

I called the Michigan parks phone number because I was having trouble getting info out of the website I was using. The fine gentleman I talked to gave me another site that is much better. Also discovered I cant make reservations any more than 6 months early, so I can relax a few weeks.
https://www.midnrreservations.com/MichiganStateParks
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #31
busterbrown

Quote:
Also discovered I cant make reservations any more than 6 months early, so I can relax a few weeks.
https://www.midnrreservations.com/MichiganStateParks
If you plan on staying at one of our popular state parks (Ludington), be online (and ready) to book at 8am exactly 6 months prior from the date you want to arrive. Believe it or not, the reservation system fills quickly, and within minutes, the entire arrival day will be sold out.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #32
gearhead

I'm looking at Platte River campround. Looks like a little walk to the beach, has kayak rentals, etc. It's Federal, so I think I can use the senior pass. I'll see if I can get reservations and spend a majority of our "park and sit" time there.
Don't tell anybody else.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #33
busterbrown

Quote:
I'm looking at Platte River campround. Looks like a little walk to the beach, has kayak rentals, etc. It's Federal, so I think I can use the senior pass. I'll see if I can get reservations and spend a majority of our "park and sit" time there.
Don't tell anybody else.
The cleanest campground by far that we visited this past summer. We're going back in early August. Sites are wooded and private, RV pads are paved, and bath houses are top notch. The river was fun to Kayak; dumps out into Loon Lake, then into Lake Michigan. Sleeping Bear Dunes was a blast with the kids. Expect a work out climbing those babies! Have fun.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #34
gearhead

Do you remember any significant differences in the loops that have electricity?
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #35
koko

I know you've chosen Michigan, but I say go back another time to New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. We spent over a month in that area a couple of years ago and are going back this fall. It was one of the most memorable trips we've ever made, and we travel a lot. We went to Niagra Falls, then on the Seaway Scenic Trail across to Vermont (lots of beautiful campgrounds along that leisurely route with Lakes Huron and Ontario, Amish roadside vegetable/fruit stands, stayed in Quechee, VT for a while as base to visit that area and New Hampshire, went on to Maine (stayed a week in Freeport and saw Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, lots of other beautiful towns like Camden, Rockland, Belfast, Portland). There's so much history, so much to see, so many great towns, the whole area is breathtaking. The terrain is so different from what we're used to in the west. We ran out of time.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #36
gearhead

Oh yeah, we will get there. Wife wants to have some of her family history done before we go. She has ancestors from Poughkeepsie and Connecticut. Mine never got north of Richmond VA. I've seen Niagra Falls on the boss's dime. Would really like to do Maine. We have neighbors that summer there and they paint a pretty picture. I would like to do Acadia NP and Freeport and LL Bean.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
RK1978

We did an "around Lake Michigan" trip last August and enjoyed White River park near Montague, MI and Castle Rock RV park just north of St Ignace. Mackinac Island is interesting and a pleasant place to ride a bike, and be sure to try pasties (with gravy!) if you get to the UP. I think that may be the national food of "yoopers". Highway 2 is an easy drive west, you can cut down on M-35 US 41 and 141 to get to Green Bay. We stayed at Plymouth Rock RV park in Wisconsin-it was OK for a night, but very large and busy (many race fans). Or you could take the ferry across from Ludington to Manitowoc. It takes about 4 hours and is relaxing as long as the weather over Lake Michigan is good.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #38
gearhead

Update: Two years of college courses in programming and systems analysis and I'm ready to pitch the laptop out the window and/or introduce a federal employee to the absolute best of my US Navy profanity.
I had my heart set on the National Seashore campground at Platte River. We are spending 2 days after the dirt track races somewhere in a private campground to wash clothes after 2 weeks on the road, before we do the boondocking at Platte River. I looked on recreation.gov and couldn't decide what was what. I had just made reservations at a COE on Beaver Lake in Arkansas so I thought I could navigate the site. Naa, so I called and asked. Well there was one site available we could use at Platte River that was coming open for July 22. This morning I get logged in, picked the site, had my finger on the "RESERVE NOW" button and click it at 0900.01 and it is....reserved. ARGH. Try it again 1 minute later thinking our clocks aren't synchronized. Nope, reserved.
OK go to plan B. I get on Michigan DNR site and reserve 5 nights at Hoffmaster S.P. site #62.
So now I get to try again in 5 days. I'll try Platte River again or Wilderness SP as plan C.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #39
notanlines

Gearhead, I'm always a little wary with those reservation sites. Sometimes I think they are governed by the same people that buy all the good tickets on Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster claims not, but we all know better.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #40
gearhead

Yeah my little brain is about to explode planning this trip. I bet there's a stealth way of getting that reservation in before everyone else. Dang I can use KOA, I can use Texas Parks site, heck I used to be able to use SAP, but recreation.gov is about to drive me over the cliff.
It don't help that me and the DW are both guzzling the "purple syrup" like it's water. "Purple syrup" being cough syrup. She's had bronchitis since New Years. I got a sinus infection I guess. Can't imagine how; breathing methanol fumes and dust for 5 days in Tulsa.
I'll quit whining and try again to get in Platte River.
Where's that bottle???? LOL
2023 CanAm Defender SXS