Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
busterbrown

Planning our Yellowstone / Grand Teton / Mount Rushmore-Black Hills Trip for 2017

We're planning our big 12 day trip to South Dakota and Wyoming with our travel trailer next summer in late June. This will be our first trip ever to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I'm looking for pointers and advice on traveling to bear country with our 3 young boys.

We'll be staying at Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone for 4-5 days (need the full hookups), 2 days at Grand Teton, and 2 days in the Black Hills. Anything sites that are a must for the kiddos, outside of the obvious "Old Faithful" and "Mammoth" hot springs?

I know the DW and I will have a blast but I want to keep our boys interested in these national parks. I've been to the Black Hills before and have a rough plan in mind for our days there. It's Yellowstone and Grand Teton that seem to be overwhelming in the planning stages.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
notanlines

Re: Planning our Yellowstone / Grand Teton / Mount Rushmore-Black Hills Trip for 2017

Having been to Yellowstone many times, the first thing that comes to mind is the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. You probably know full well that after awhile one bison looks just like another to a small child. Be sure to take a ride up towards the north entrance where the admin buildings are to see all the elk on the grounds, up close but not too close.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
Dave W

Re: Planning our Yellowstone / Grand Teton / Mount Rushmore-Black Hills Trip for 2017

Literally there are more places to stop and gawk then you can count. Old Faithful can end up an international 'zoo scene' with thousands of people, many of which are from elsewhere in the world. Then you may have a close encounter with one of the residents. This is near the West entrance about 0700:

This is one of the smaller geysers:

Before you get to Mt Rushmore, you may want to visit the SD Badlands. We found it fascinating. We did it as a one day side trip from Custer, SD Your kids and pup will love seeing the prarie dog cities there too: https://www.travelsouthdakota.com/ex...gallery/recent

Then there is always a Devil's Tower 'Close Encounter':

Don't forget to stop at Wall Drug. A tinsel town, but a fun couple hours and can part you with some bucks too.

We have not gotten to the Tetons, either last year or this as forest fires have clouded them too much. You can even see the smoke smudge in the Devil's Tower photo above. Hopefully next year will be fine for you. Our tentative plans don't include going that far South
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

We went 9 years ago, had a wedding to goto so we planned a 10 day trip out of it. My girls were 7 & 9 then. First stop was the Corn Palace, more like a pit stop to stretch the legs. Took a half day thru the Badlands. Almost a day for Devils Tower. Stayed at Custer State Park for several days. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Gave ourselves 3 days for Yellowstone. Spent 1 night in the Tetons. Great trip.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
old timer

You need to stay at Yellowstone for more than 2 days. I did the lower loop in one day and the upper loop the next day but it was a rush. There wasn't much pond activity when we were there last July. Mont Rushmore has changed since the last time i was there. We went in the evening to see them light up the Presidents. It was impressive. They have a presentation before they turn up the lights. It was very good. Get there early so you can sit in the seats at the front. Maybe 2 hours.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
Murphsmom

While you are in the Mt Rushmore area, you might try taking in the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. They have a program for students. Not sure when it will be (or what your timeframe is), but here is a link to the site.
http://http://mammothsite.com

If you are entering Yellowstone from the east entrance, you will pass through Cody WY, which is well worth a day or two. The Buffalo Bill Center is a "don't miss".
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.

Bear Country is outside of Rapid City. A fun place for the family. There is a drive thru area and and area to walk around.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.

bearcountryusa.com

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
dhn

We did that trip last year, took 2 weeks, still did not get to see all we wanted to see. As one post already pointed out, Cody, WY is a nice place to stop. We stayed at Buffalo Bill State park just west of town. Here is a website we used to plan our trip into Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Fishing Bridge Campground is very tight. Some say you can't put out your awning. We drove through there and we were glad we stayed in West Yellowstone, MT. If you have not already made reservations for Fishing Bridge, do it soon, the sites go quick from what I hear.

http://yellowstone.net/

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
gearhead

Buffalo Bill Museum (or whatever they call it now) in Cody X2.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #11
notanlines

Let me bring up something that most people don't know about. About 15 miles or so west of Cody, in the neighborhood of Wapiti, if you drive out there just before sundown, the mule deer start coming down out of the mountains into the fields on the south side of the main highway. There is a gravel road on the other side of the main highway with the fields in between. Brenda and I have seen more than a thousand (yes, thousand) in one evening on more than one occasion.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 10-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

We stayed in Fishing Bridge campground last year. The comments about the spaces being "tight" are correct. But, if you consider the advantage of being "in the center of the park" at the start of every day, the "tight spaces" aren't really an issue compared to the hour (or more) travel time from a campground outside the park. There are some "rustic" campgrounds scattered throughout Yellowstone, but Fishing Bridge is the only "full hookup campground". We used the trailer as a "bedroom only" and we "headed out" just after breakfast and never got back to the camper until after dark each evening. When you consider that it's about 75 miles from Cody to Fishing Bridge and very close to the same distance from the West entrance of the park, with the 45 MPH speed limit and "stop and go traffic" anywhere there's animals close to the road (almost everywhere in the park), getting that "head start" by being near the center of everything was a significant advantage for us.

The mule deer migration is something to see. Also, as a "teaser" here are a couple of pictures of "antler piles" in Wapiti.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1767.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	11350   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1768.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	11351  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons!! A couple of the most beautiful places in the world to me. But.....

For those of you unfamiliar it is more than just a pretty place. You have to be aware and careful. Elk, moose, deer and bear aren't pets and have to have their space.

My first trip to Yellowstone (35 years ago) we saw an elk that I wanted to photograph. I got out of the car and tried to get closer. We moved through the field concentrating on the elk bull. About the time he was in good picture range, out of nowhere in the grass, a big moose stood up and snorted....not at all happy with me being there. We (my son 17 and I ) tried to disappear.

On that trip we stayed at Grand Tetons in a park by Lake Jenny?? We put up our tent and went to bed at sundown. Sometime around 10-12pm we heard all kinds of screeching sounds, then screaming, then banging as it sounded like someone throwing things into a truck. Then a vehicle speeding away. We went back to sleep and got up about 7am. In the morning we joined another couple and went through the campsite where the folks had left. They had left some of their food products on the ground and a grizzly came to camp. He literally shredded their metal Coleman cooler (you could see the claw marks) and much of their equipment. It was left on site. We marveled that anyone, in that environment, would entice a Grizzly like that.

We travel to a lot of places. Wildlife is something we have encountered all our lives. They are pretty, but they deserve respect. We have a vacation home where we daily encounter 80-150 elk in our valley below our deck. Due to this time of year we witnessed two big bulls sparring (banging racks) about 150' in front of our deck a couple of weeks ago. They are pretty, but they are very dangerous when their minds are on other things. Leave them alone.

All just to say that Yellowstone, Grand Tetons are exceptionally beautiful. But, everyone needs to know the animals and what they are capable of. Look at them from afar. Take pictures of them.....but leave them alone. They are a gift to all of us and those that keep pressing them and abusing them only hasten the time they won't be available to any of us.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
busterbrown

Awesome read so far. Look forward to reading more comments. I'm about 20 years past due on this Yellowstone visit. The pictures, advice, and reads keep me motivated over the long MI winter while our trailer hibernates.

And I'm sure it'll be a trip that we be revisited a few times over as our kids grow into adulthood.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #15
MBD

If you are planning your trip anywhere close to the first week of August, be aware that is the time frame for the Sturgis motorcycle migration. While a fun and entertaining experience, it can also complicate travel from Hulett (Devils Tower) through the Badlands/Mount Rushmore.

Having made that trip many times, it always takes more time than planned for. Just consider that the speed limit inside Yellowstone is 45 mph and there are a gazillion other people wanting to see and experience the same things (usually at the same time). You will need plenty of time and even more patience.

Fishing Bridge is a good place to stay - if your RV fits their small sites. Keep an eye on fuel as it is not everywhere and pricey when you find it. Also know that groceries are expensive and may require a long drive to obtain. Bring as much as you can from home.

Most importantly - have fun and enjoy the overwhelming beauty and serenity.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
Lundy

I highly recommend Bear Country as well, our kids loved it. Also look into Reptile Gardens http://www.reptilegardens.com/ very cool place with the largest alligator I have ever seen, lots of snakes, lizards etc. An unexpected surprise find in the middle of South Dakota.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBD View Post
If you are planning your trip anywhere close to the first week of August, be aware that is the time frame for the Sturgis motorcycle migration
Yeah, I visited the Black Hills on the tail end of the big Sturgis rally years ago and won't do that again. The amount of bikes was insane. We're going the last week of June.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #18
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
I highly recommend Bear Country as well, our kids loved it. Also look into Reptile Gardens http://www.reptilegardens.com/ very cool place with the largest alligator I have ever seen, lots of snakes, lizards etc. An unexpected surprise find in the middle of South Dakota.
Thanks. Will look into this. What boy doesn't like to see a monster gator in the northere states. Plus my 6 year old is fascinated with snakes now.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #19
busterbrown

Driving distance from Yellowstone to Grand Teton

I'm mapping out roads for next summers big vacation and Google is routing a long 6.5 hour trek from Yellowstone to Grand Teton. We're staying at Fishing Bridge RV park and thought I'd be able to just drop down south on US Hwy 191 into Jackson, WY. GMaps routes east bound to Cody then south on State Route 120. I'm looking for the shortest leg possible. Suggestions?

Old 11-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #20
notanlines

Probably just a glitch on Google maps. You are very correct. 191 is the highway. We have been on it many times, the last time was just three weeks ago. Want me to tell you how hard it is to show newbies the Grand Tetons and Old Faithful in a snowstorm? I won't be going back on the last week of October again.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle