Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
howard

5th wheel values

Has the bottom fallen out of the large 5th wheel resale market?

I went to trade in my 2012 Alpine and the dealer said there was no market for the large late model 5th wheels. If he had to take it, he'd give me $22,000, but agreed that a more normal price would have been $39,500. I've done business with this dealer for years and they are very reputable.

Craigslist has a 2015 Alpine 3450 with an asking price of $44,900 at a large RV dealer in Northern Virginia.
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
bsmith0404

According to NADA mine still shows the value is $79k. The problem you run into with the luxury RV market is the dealer may order too many at the beginning of the year or the manufacturer builds too many and pushes them onto the dealers. When we bought our 2013 in Feb 2014 the dealer still had 3 2013 models left over. Keystone was trying to get them to put 2014s on the lot, but the dealership was reluctant to until they moved the 2013s. The dealership placed orders for 2013 based on their 2012 sales. In the end it worked out well for me, the dealership dropped the price way down and Keystone kicked in additional incentives to help move the units. So now, 1.5 yrs later, the NADA value is still a lot more than I paid. I wouldn't get that on trade, but I don't plan to get rid of it anyway. At least I know my insurance would cover it in case of a serious accident.

If you want to get a good price for your unit on trade, you need to find a dealer that has a shortage of luxury 5th wheels, not a bunch that they are having trouble moving. Best bet is to try to sell it yourself.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Wholesale/trade in, vs Retail with warranty = Floor-plan and insure until sold, advertising, rehab, inspect and repair, storage, depreciation, delivery prep etc... Then he still has to turn a reasonable profit, or risk not being there next year.

If it's a good rig, sell it yourself with a 30/30 EOD warranty (30 days, 30 dollars, or the end of the driveway... which ever comes first!) You'll probably get a much better price. Just don't take a check!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
dcg9381

There is a market, trust me. And the 1-year warranty on a Keystone means nothing to anyone who has every actually owned one before.

Dealers get substantial mark up on used units... And after advertising it on Craigslist and the RV trader, if you have no luck, consider a consignment dealer. Down here, we have a very large consignment dealer (PPL) that does huge business. Most of their stuff is a mess - so if your rig is in good shape and reasonably priced, it'll sell quick.. Although you might want to wait until spring.. We're approaching the "slow" season. The economy is good enough that the RV market overall is quite healthy.

Selling with a warranty isn't a bad idea, but "seller" warranties are usually useless. Lookup an aftermarket one and offer it...

IMHO, largely the issue is after 5-10 years, people can no longer get loans on them and then they become harder to sell because they can't be financed. I usually ask buyers if they're expecting 100% financing, as that is an indication of how much they can pay... And usually decline.

Two things: Asking price of RV dealers means nothing. For private party resale, expect to get low book retail value (unless it's indoor kept / mint) and negotiate to loan value... Thats where I buy them at.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
C130

I sold my 2011 Fuzion 322 in less than a week, advertised it on RVTrader and Craigslist. From my experience and the feedback I got, if it's in great shape it will sell pretty quick. I talked to PPL and they told me pretty much what they could sell it for if the actual condition was what I told them it was. I priced it for close to what I would have gotten by the time I paid them their 10% but not less otherwise I would have just had them sell it. I wouldn't say I sold mine at a great price but sold it at a reasonable price that I was happy with. It's a pain taking it out of the storage unit every time someone wants to look at it. Luckily, the 2nd person that looked at it bought it but I had several other people interested.

A friend used PPL for his toy hauler and they sold it within a couple of weeks and he seemed happy with the price. Both of our 5th wheels were stored inside fully enclosed storage units and in excellent shape. I've been to PPL several times and as stated above they have a lot of stuff not in that great of shape. If it's clean, in great shape, priced reasonably, it sells pretty quick I think.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
dcg9381

I was down at PPL (buying) earlier this year in peak season - I was actually looking for a diesel class-A. What they had on the lot described as "very good" - actually traces to "average" (if you read the details on their website). And actual condition - 60% of their "smoke free / smell free" units were offensive and there were actually 2 that I couldn't actually bring myself to enter. Several had huge open water leaks and associated rot that were obvious advertised as "Very good"...

The 5th wheel selection much better.. but that's up from wouldn't pay 50% of asking price on most of their Class-A's. Oh man, it was sooo bad.. Beautiful $250k+ (new) rigs just trashed...

PPL - you'll get 100 people going through it, so it wouldn't be my first choice. They won't care for it, batteries will be discharged, etc.

It'll sell. As long as you don't expect NADA retail. And note that NADA includes the options that are standard with your unit. So don't "add" options for stuff that came standard - another typical dealer trick.

IF you have trouble valuing it, PM me, I'll send you easy ways to search (nationwide) for what you've got.

The only advantage to trading is tax savings.. And if your dealer is offering $22k on something that should sell in the high 30s, that's not a deal at all.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
rbev2308

They tell you the value is dropping. However, my parents purchased a 2010 for Low 30's. I even considered trading my 2014 Alpine and was in the mid 40's but the unknown is what you are stepping into. If you are paying MSRP or 90% of MSRP, they are inclined to give you what you want cause they are making on the back end. They usually have to payoff a loan. I think the rv industry as a whole is very suspect when it comes to trade, retail, selling new, etc cause the consumer does not have the same info as such in buying a new car. One sight, seedealercost.com is pretty good with a very great starting point on values of numerous makes and models. I have friends in the business who have shared some secrets. One, they usually look at the nada trade value for low retail without any options...Why, cause most of these options were already in mandatory packages...then they try and sell by adding options and marking high retail. I think in all cases, you are better off selling private party if you have the patience. Buying new generally 15-25% off is the norm, catch dealers with right circumstances, 25-45% off and trust me, they are still making money. Dealer A does not purchase from MFR the exact same unit for same cost as Dealer B like a new truck configured the same. So many factors are at play.. I think dealers survive cause people trade in 2-4 year old units and end up paying more on the new one and more loss on their loan and the dealer makes more on the used resale.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
mikell

We sold our 2010 Alpine 3640rl this spring for $28k but it took about 6 months and Craigs list sold it. RV trader only got me calls from dealers that wouldn't come and pick it up
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #9
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
We sold our 2010 Alpine 3640rl this spring for $28k but it took about 6 months and Craigs list sold it. RV trader only got me calls from dealers that wouldn't come and pick it up
I had some company from California that called me nonstop trying to help me sell my 5th wheel. They would call early morning to late night every day. I told them to stop and I had already sold it, they kept calling. I started calling their number and surprisingly someone answered and even better a different person every single time. I would call and I guess since I was in their system they knew who I was. I would spend about ten minutes with each person acting like I was going to let them list my toy hauler then I'd tell them I was just wasting their time since they kept calling me. After about ten calls I got off their list but still surprised I could call their number back and someone always answered.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
steveh237

Any comments or ideas from followers out there on the going resale on a 2014 Cougar 333MKS with two AC's and auto Dish roof antenna? Wife and I have been discussing on biting the bullet; selling the 5th wheel, 2500 Ram truck, selling the house and purchasing a Class A for full-timing. Looking to see if anyone has received any quotes on this model of Cougar. In the "thinking-about-it" mode right now, but trying to work out the details before we jump into it.
steveh237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
66joej

RV resale values are all over the map so to speak. A lot depends on your location, number of that particular 5ver for sale, etc. You can get a NADA book value or go on the RVTrader site for comparables. That is a nice unit I'm sure someone would want it. Good luck and I hope your plans work out.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
DAN d

I think it did had 12 crossroad dealeler says had to manny 5th wheels low ball me now i owen a nother keystone
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Chevrolise

i'm convinced trading in/up at a camper show is about as good as it gets. I traded a 2003 gulfstream mako with the rear wall coming loose from rot. They give me 12k trade in on a 2016 325 Fuzion 63k. So 51k + tax/tag/etc. I've heard similar story's.

16 Chevy 3500 diesel
16 Fuzion 325
CanAm Spyder, Yamaha Grizzly
Kymco mxu 500i, 2 grandsons
way too many Kayaks
Chevrolise is offline   Reply With Quote