Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Gbarnes

Travel Trailer vs 5th wheel

Okay, so I know this has probably been beat up pretty hard on here, but what the heck. I currently have about a 30ft Keystone travel trailer. I am considering possibly upgrading to a 5th wheel. I have zero experience with one...never hooked one up, let alone towed one. What are the pros and cons and how much can I COMFORTABLY tow? My TV is a 2013 F250 powerstroke. I do not want to be anywhere near the upper limits of the tow capacity (been there and not going back).

Alternatively, I could upgrade to a larger TT. If so, I'd go for something with multiple slides to get more room.

What are your thoughts?
Gbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Its not the tow capacity you need to worry about, it's the payload capacity of your truck vs the pin weight (actual not advertised) of you 5er and all of the gear you take with you. As for 5er vs TT...5er is much more stable and IMO offers better floor plans. Will never buy a TT over a 5er.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Javi

As the former owner of a '12 F250 diesel I can tell you that you will be limited on choices with a 5th wheel... You run out of payload LOOOOOOOOONG before you run out of towing capacity...

There are some small, light 5'er out there but we just flat couldn't find one we liked.. your mileage may vary.

As for the difference in towing a 5'er and a bumper pull... NO SWAY, and a lot more stability...

Downside... you pretty much loose the bed...
Old 08-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Gbarnes

Thanks. I'm sure it does tow a lot better, but I am concerned I will end up with too much trailer by the time I get what I want. Also, the lack of bed space is an issue, especially when hauling generators etc. Plus, I'd have to remove my toolbox every time I tow it which is another issue. How much payload was too much for your F250?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbarnes View Post
Thanks. I'm sure it does tow a lot better, but I am concerned I will end up with too much trailer by the time I get what I want. Also, the lack of bed space is an issue, especially when hauling generators etc. Plus, I'd have to remove my toolbox every time I tow it which is another issue. How much payload was too much for your F250?
Mine was a XL CC longbed and had a 2629 payload... but after the hitch, tool box, DW and assorted stuff I was left with 2000 pounds as weighed on a CAT scale..

We bought a 333MKS Cougar with an advertised pin weight of 1680 (if I remember correctly) however loaded the pin weight was north of 2400 and that was no water or anything in the tanks..

We looked for a 5'er for nearly 2 years and we love the 333MKS.. I did tow it with the F250 but there is no comparison with the dually..
Old 08-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
gearhead

You should be OK with the Cougar Xlite series of 5th's. I pulled the 28SGS with a 2500 GMC. I think the pin was advertised at 1700. I believe I had it up around 2400 loaded.
Look inside your drivers door on the truck for the yellow tag. It will have tire info and the payload of your specific truck.
The weight adds up fast because the storage is all up front. You should have plenty of room for a generator in the truck bed and other stuff.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
BirchyBoy

I read somewhere that you should pick out the 5th wheel first then get the tow vehicle that fits it. I'm in this boat right now.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
kfxgreenie

I'll stir the pot, the payload of a 250 2500 is often artificial to meet the DOT's GVWR of 10000 pounds. One should look at the RAWR and GCWR to get a trucks capability's. Now to further stir the pot, if one was close to weights they can use the Andersen Aluminum vs a conventional hitch and almost save the payload of a potential passenger.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
I'll stir the pot, the payload of a 250 2500 is often artificial to meet the DOT's GVWR of 10000 pounds. One should look at the RAWR and GCWR to get a trucks capability's. Now to further stir the pot, if one was close to weights they can use the Andersen Aluminum vs a conventional hitch and almost save the payload of a potential passenger.
Well There are many out there carrying and towing with 250/2500 a bit to a lot over GVWR, most stay within Axle ratings, some only go by tire and add 19.5" tires.
I tow a 12,360# GVWR 5er with a 2001 Ram/Cummins 2500 with Camper package. I didn't run the numbers, as I knew I would be over GVWR, I just connect the 5er to the TV before signing the papers. TV didn't squat below level. Loaded it still rides level and tows great. 32' 5er, doesn't matter back road, two lane state highway, or interstate.
This is not a recommendation, just my personal experience.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #10
gtsum2

Go to a cat scale and weight truck with u and full tank of gas and family if applicable. Take that weight and subtract it from your gvwr and u will see what ur payload left is. This will also show you how much you have left on the rear axle and tires. Take the gvwr of the fiver and multiply by about 22% and that will give u the approximate pin weight. You will certainly be limited in what you can haul by the 250 but there r many out there that will work. The weight adds up quickly when ur loaded up
Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 AM   #11
notanlines

You might keep in mind that it is not an "absolute" that your tool box be removed unless it is the old style that sits up about 6 to 8 inches above the bed. Hook it up and move around a parking area, try a few entrances into the lot and see if it comes close to your box before taking it off.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
You might keep in mind that it is not an "absolute" that your tool box be removed unless it is the old style that sits up about 6 to 8 inches above the bed. Hook it up and move around a parking area, try a few entrances into the lot and see if it comes close to your box before taking it off.
If I had to guess from the OP's comment about the tool box, I'd suspect he has a SHORT bed... in which case the toolbox may well be a huge issue..
Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 AM   #13
bsmith0404

When I had my 2500, I didn't have a tool box and my generator fit perfectly between the front of the bed and the 5th wheel hitch. There are quite a few 5ers on the market that are advertised as 1/2 ton towable. Those units typically have GVWRs under 10k and pin weights well under 2k. I have transported several Jayco 5th wheel trailers in that range and I'm sure the other manufacturers have them as well. From what I've seen most will be 32' or smaller. As for losing the bed of the truck, that is true, but 5th wheels have a lot more storage area than a TT which is nice for all of your camping only items. I load up the basement storage and everything stays in the 5er until the next time we camp. There isn't any loading stuff in the truck before going out camping, unloading it when we get home, and finding a place to store it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 AM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If I had to guess from the OP's comment about the tool box, I'd suspect he has a SHORT bed... in which case the toolbox may well be a huge issue..
Could well be the case. I know a lot of campers who buy short bed trucks get the regular toolboxes that sit up on the bed rails. It's understandable because those boxes are less expensive generally and readily available. If they don't have a fifth wheel trailer, it's even more of a reasonable purchase.

When the DW gifted me a tool box for my birthday, I explained that we needed one that doesn't stick up above the top of the bed rails. It cost more and was a bit harder to locate one locally, but it has been worth it. It's actually a larger capacity unit than many of the regular ones.

http://www.weatherguard.com/en/view/...Chest/684-0-01

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
When I had my 2500, I didn't have a tool box and my generator fit perfectly between the front of the bed and the 5th wheel hitch. There are quite a few 5ers on the market that are advertised as 1/2 ton towable. Those units typically have GVWRs under 10k and pin weights well under 2k. I have transported several Jayco 5th wheel trailers in that range and I'm sure the other manufacturers have them as well. From what I've seen most will be 32' or smaller. As for losing the bed of the truck, that is true, but 5th wheels have a lot more storage area than a TT which is nice for all of your camping only items. I load up the basement storage and everything stays in the 5er until the next time we camp. There isn't any loading stuff in the truck before going out camping, unloading it when we get home, and finding a place to store it.
X2 To the red!
You don't loose the bed of the TV you gain a Basement in the 5er! I read with dismay those that need two days to a week to pack to go out on a trip. Our 5er is always ready to go at the drop of a hat! Best time yet, one hour and fifteen minutes from leaving work to leaving storage yard with 5er in tow and refer loaded with food from the house. That time included stopping by the house to pickup DW refer food, install hitch and air up the rear tires. I was eight miles from work to the Storage yard, and house was in between the two.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 AM   #16
1jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbarnes View Post
Okay, so I know this has probably been beat up pretty hard on here, but what the heck. I currently have about a 30ft Keystone travel trailer. I am considering possibly upgrading to a 5th wheel. I have zero experience with one...never hooked one up, let alone towed one. What are the pros and cons and how much can I COMFORTABLY tow? My TV is a 2013 F250 powerstroke. I do not want to be anywhere near the upper limits of the tow capacity (been there and not going back).

Alternatively, I could upgrade to a larger TT. If so, I'd go for something with multiple slides to get more room.

What are your thoughts?
Im the guy pushing his trucks limits, so far the rear end hasn't imploded as some might have you believe will happen...im not denying I am over my cargo capacity per the door tag. Some day I will upgrade the 250 to a dually and then will have that warm fuzzy feeling others have.

With that said I will not go back to a travel trailer, previous 32' one didn't tow nearly as well as my 5th. Much easier to hookup, no fancy hitch or spring bars/sway control. basement of the 5th holds all our gear so nothing really goes into the truck. I do have a 8' bed and a no frills reese hitch, I couldn't really tell you how much better a more expensive one is.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
X2 To the red!
You don't loose the bed of the TV you gain a Basement in the 5er! I read with dismay those that need two days to a week to pack to go out on a trip. Our 5er is always ready to go at the drop of a hat! Best time yet, one hour and fifteen minutes from leaving work to leaving storage yard with 5er in tow and refer loaded with food from the house. That time included stopping by the house to pickup DW refer food, install hitch and air up the rear tires. I was eight miles from work to the Storage yard, and house was in between the two.
Actually you do lose the option of hauling large items like our dog crate, fishing carts etc in the bed when hooked to the 5'er. Yes, I've altered how I carry these things but the fact remains that I've lost that option. I now have to disassemble and reassemble these items when we travel, where before I just threw them in the bed and away we go..

By the way we also keep the trailer loaded and ready to go.. We even keep the fridge stocked during our camping season bringing only fresh produce and meat for a trip. And we removed a recliner to upgrade the dog crate to a permanent place in the living room, so we don't have to disassemble it to carry.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Actually you do lose the option of hauling large items like our dog crate, fishing carts etc in the bed when hooked to the 5'er. Yes, I've altered how I carry these things but the fact remains that I've lost that option. I now have to disassemble and reassemble these items when we travel, where before I just threw them in the bed and away we go..

By the way we also keep the trailer loaded and ready to go.. We even keep the fridge stocked during our camping season bringing only fresh produce and meat for a trip. And we removed a recliner to upgrade the dog crate to a permanent place in the living room, so we don't have to disassemble it to carry.
We don't have power at the storage lot where we keep our 5er between trips. That for us lucky to live in the great NW camping season is year round.That said we never know what the trip home might bring!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #19
Gbarnes

Thanks for all the input. I'm leading toward another TT due to the tool box issue. I do have a short bed truck and do need to haul things like generators, dog crates etc. Plus, it's just real convenient to have everything I need in the tool box so I really don't want to remove it. So....looking at some pretty large TT's. My question is, with a F-250 Super Duty diesel, how large can I go? I've looked at a TT with 1175 hitch weight and 8500 total dry weight. 10,500 GVWR. What do you think? It's obviously well within the tow rating, but after loading the bed down with the above mentioned items, wife and kids, is that pushing it? Weight Distributing hitch? Sway issues? My current TT only has about 750 hitch weight and 6700 dry weight, plus it is about 6 feet shorter.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
hankaye

Gbarnes, Howdy;

I moved from a TT to a 5er in 2011. Part of my thought process when
making my decision, was where does everything go??? It seemed that
what what I gained in "Basement" storage I lost in closet space inside.
What I lost in truck bed was also supposed to go into the "Basement".
Would I migrate to a TT again, perhaps. I'll not burn that bridge.
As for towing, yea the 5er does a better job of following and it backs and
parks a bit easier as well. With the Equ-i-zer hitch I had the TT followed
very well and behaved itself extremely well. Even survived a trailer
blow-out on I-70 and got to the shoulder in an orderly manner.
Face it, we are all different, what works for one does not work for all.
What makes you the most comfortable is what's best for you...

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote