Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
lakechopaka

TV and radio

I am a new owner of a 2015 24RKSWE Cougar. I was wondering if or how you can get the TV sound to go through the radio sound system. The TV sound system is terrible and it would be great if the sound from the TV could go through the radio sound system.
lakechopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

In order for the TV sound to work through the stereo system you have to find an audio OUT at the TV and an audio/aux IN on the stereo. Aux in is probably on the front of the stereo, and you can use the "headphones" jack on the TV for the output.

I'm not sure what radio you have, but if you remove it from the cabinet, there might be an "IN" on the backside allowing you to run a cable inside the cabinet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
lakechopaka

Thank you very much. I will give it a try!! I appreciate the info!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

No problem
I learned this from doing PDI's on units with sound bars underneath the TV.
Pays to be a tech.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
lakechopaka

Yes it does pay to be a tech!!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I did a unit last month that had a real nice sound bar that had Bluetooth. Paired my phone to it and I was impressed with the sound enough that I might get one. Can't recall the brand (sound bar) right now, unit was a '15 Crusader.

Note to self: go look at the sales units and see what they have.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
lakechopaka

hmmmmm. That sounds like a good idea. here is one from amazon

VIZIO S2920w-C0 29-inch 2.0 High Definition Sound Bar with Bluetooth
Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
jsmith948

Our 32" Toshiba has TERRIBLE sounding tinny little speakers. The audio output of the t.v. is digital and the audio input of the Jensen is analog. My DS gave me a converter that allowed me to connect the t.v. sound through the Jensen. I have to mute the t.v. sound (or it sounds like a reverb) and have to adjust the volume at the Jensen, but, we now have great sound when watching t.v.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
{tpc}

My passport already had this hooked up when we got it. I think you have to switch the radio to aux in. Or av in, can't recall which. I think its aux because as I recall it, it didn't make any sense.

But its nice to hear the tv through the radios audio system, and sometimes nice to have it on the outdoor speakers as well.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
denverpilot

On ours the TV audio was pre-wired to the Aux 2 input on the stereo.

You might try flipping through all of the inputs to see.

Also carefully try turning the volume up on both the stereo and TV (and then put it back to the setting you find the FM broadcast radio is comfortable at before switching to the next setting), since the TV audio is sometimes low output or tied to the TV volume control...

Ours is...

We also found a setting buried in the TV to turn off the tinny internal speaker altogether.

We switch the stereo to Aux 2, then turn it up to a fairly high volume and use the TV remote to control actual volume out.

The overhead speakers aren't THAT much better, but they're a lot better than the built in ones in most TVs.

Note: our stereo also uses the "fader" control for front and rear.

Speakers toward the front of the trailer are behind you standing at our rear entertainment area so they're "rear" and the speakers right above the TV are "front". This means left and right are also backwards. Ha.

Front speakers are the A button near the TV, further "rear" is the Kitchen on B, and furthest rear is the outside speakers on C. Helpful if you want to hear the TV outside but you don't want it blaring, just fade toward the TV with the front/rear settings.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
lakechopaka

Thank you for all the input guys.