Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Hoojs12840

Adding Direct TV

We have decided to add Direct TV to our 2014 Cougar 330rbk. Never had satellite tv even at home. I'm having it installed this week at the house. I think I have the plan for the RV all worked out.

Direct TV will give me the "Genie" and 3 wireless box's for other TV's. I will put the Genie in the family room at home and one of the wireless box's in our bedroom at the house. The other two will go in our bedroom and the bunk room in our RV. Then all I will have to do is take the Genie from the house and hook it up in the main living area of the RV. I have to pickup another Satellite dish to take with me put I should be able to watch 3 different shows on 3 different tv's and the DVR feature without having to do anything but hook up the dish and align it and plug the box in to main tv.

Does this sound right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your "genie" is HD, you won't get HD reception unless you purchase the Travler dish. ALL other Dish's recieve standard definition.

We use a Winguard (sp?)carry out and it will find the satellites by itself. We don't mind standard definition while camping so it's not an issue. Also, once your out of your "service area" you won't get any "local" (network) stations, that requires a subscription.

Don't get me wrong, we love our direct tv, had it in the house since '01 and enjoy our hgtv and discovery channel while camping, just don't want to see you disappointed about high def if they didn't explain it to you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your "genie" is HD, you won't get HD reception unless you purchase the Travler dish. ALL other Dish's recieve standard definition.
Not exactly true, he can buy a tripod and a normal Slimline HD DirecTV dish. Much cheaper, as in one fifth the cost.
Todd727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
Tbristol

True! I have a slimline dish with a tripod. Get every HD channel I get at home. You will also need a power source that back feeds to the lnbs. Not sure what it's called. Look behind your Genie at home. You will see it. I just upgraded to the genie. Mine are all connected through a SWM switch. So I just purchased one for the 5th wheel. If yours are hooked up wireless. I would like details on that. If you are really into TV. You can purchase the AM21. You plug your OTA into that then your will have a guide and you can record with your Genie. As you know you lose your locals once you get a couple of hundred miles from your local spot beam.
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #5
Hoojs12840

They did tell me I can't get my local channels if I am more than 200 miles from my home, unless I pay for DNS service? I figure if I need them I will buy the AM21. I think it is around $50.00.

As for the dish, I was told as long as I have the SWiM (slimline dish) I will get HD. Todd 727 is right, you can get the whole rv kit for 100-130 brand new, I'll probably check eBay/craigslist first.

The wireless genie is a one time $99.00 upgrade at time of sign up. Although I am going to try and negotiate when I call them today.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Adding Direct TV

I stand corrected.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #7
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
They did tell me I can't get my local channels if I am more than 200 miles from my home, unless I pay for DNS service? I figure if I need them I will buy the AM21. I think it is around $50.00.
Why not just use your RV antenna for local stations? If you're too far away from a broadcast antenna-you're out in the boonies, and you're really doing well!
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Hoojs12840

The way it's wired I would have to unhook the satelite tv and connect the antenna feed to the unit. Not overly hard, but it would not allow satellite tv to work on the other tv's if i wanted to watch NBC and say the wife or kid wanted I watch satellite.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Tbristol

If you use the AM21 you could watch NBC while the kids watch satellite. Use your RV antenna it will then show all the locals in the area your in. Plus it will show the channels in the guide and your Genie will record them. We are spending the winter in Florida this year. I already have the AM21 in the 5th wheel so Tampa will be my locals through the RV antenna. But I will have a guide for them and I can record them.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbristol View Post
True! I have a slimline dish with a tripod. Get every HD channel I get at home. You will also need a power source that back feeds to the lnbs. Not sure what it's called.
Power inserter.

Lots of good info on set up and products over at DBSTalk.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #11
Hoojs12840

So....got it installed. Sorta... I have it work in all 3 rooms via the main reciver and the 2 wireless genies. The issue is when I hook it to satelite prep on the outside it gets no feed. I have a line run direct to the dish now and it's perfect signal.

The satelite prep on the inside of my rv is on the wall behind the living room tv. I would like to keep the main receiver (big) in the bunk room as it has a shelf for it and the small wireless genie in the living room.

1.anyone know if that is possible and how the "satelite looper behind the tv needs to go?

2. If not how does the satelite looper go? I seen 6-7 articles and all seem tondo something different, drowning on how the factory wired it.

3.with the wireless system I only need the coax to feed the main receiver. The wireless genies hook up via hdmi.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Hoojs12840

Ok so i figured it out.

1.The issue is the power inserter for the dish has to be connected into the orange satellite line.

2.The receiver itself does not. Once the power inserter is connected the orange line the receiver will work at any outlet in the rv.

3. I have the wireless system and I have the main receiver connected in the bunk room and the wireless box's in the living room and bedroom.

I only have to take the main receiver and the wireless transmitter back and forth to my house.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
Hoojs12840

Also. I couldn't find the HD slimline dish anywhere near me and online places wouldn't return my calls or emails. I called my direct tv installer and he gave me a flat mount, a spare dish, power inserter and 125 of cable for no cost. He also came out to my camper and set it all up for me. I tipped him generously as it saved me a crap ton of money and aggravation.

If anyone lives near Hagerstown, MD and needs help me, let know I will get you his number.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
Hoojs12840

[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/06/e7503277191607fc37931d31949ade6a.jpg[/I

Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Hoojs12840

Old 09-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Tbristol

Ahh HD in every room it's a glorious thing isn't it. Now that you got it. It will only take about 10 to 15 minutes to set up next time.