Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 AM   #1
tdawg

Smile antenna point

Used antennapoint .com for the 1st time to get t.v. transmitter coordinances.used my cell phone. Compass set antenna at true north then turned antenna until I reached 30 degrees for my location and rescaned. Worked great
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
GaryWT

Will have to give it a look. Usually just do guess work if needed.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
Dave45039

For Android, I've been using "TV Antenna Helper" for a few years. Works real nice.

Dave & Janet

2013 Cougar 333MKS
2013 GMC 2500HD 6.0L / 4.10
[/LIST]
Dave45039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
bsmith0404

I have a really technical tool that I use. It's difficult to explain exactly how it works, but I'll do my best. When we arrive at the park, I get everything set up, open a cold one, walk around a bit to see where everyone else has theirs pointing. When I think I have it all figured out, I go point mine in the same general direction. It's a difficult tool to use, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I have a really technical tool that I use. It's difficult to explain exactly how it works, but I'll do my best. When we arrive at the park, I get everything set up, open a cold one, walk around a bit to see where everyone else has theirs pointing. When I think I have it all figured out, I go point mine in the same general direction. It's a difficult tool to use, but it hasn't failed me yet.
Does it require a special tool to open the cold one or are they twist or pop tops? I just want to be sure that I have the right tools for the job.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Does it require a special tool to open the cold one or are they twist or pop tops? I just want to be sure that I have the right tools for the job.
Depends on location and mood. Usually twist top will get the job done, but there have been times that called for a model which required a special tool. I can't be specific on which one will be required at any particular time, you just have to play it by ear.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I love this!

although, sometimes it may be a little early for a "man pop". I use this,

http://www.amazon.com/King-Controls-.../dp/B0045E3MHK
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Jim Dow

Original Antenna 2011 Montana High Country

I am using the original television antenna that came on my 2011 Montana High Country; and I cannot receive a single channel signal.

Is that original antenna an analog or digital antenna?

My guess is that it is an old analog antenna.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
I am using the original television antenna that came on my 2011 Montana High Country; and I cannot receive a single channel signal.

There is no such thing as a specifically analog antenna. There are antennas that are "optimized for digital"........ but, you can recieve all signals with in range with any antenna. If someone tells you this is not true, RUN!

my guess is that you have a loose connection somewhere in your wiring or you are trying to receive a digital signal on a analog tv.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
jtyphoid

Essness is correct. Analog vs digital does not make a difference. The only differences are frequency and gain.

In my area, most of the stations changed from VHF to UHF frequencies when they converted to digital.

I think, but do not know for certain, that my original Winegard batwing antenna is tuned more for VHF than UHF. Winegard sells an add-on that they claim improves digital reception. I think that all it does is improve gain at UHF frequencies.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post

My first question would be: Does anyone else receive any OTA TV signal?

There are places where a "small antenna, positioned 13' above the ground (on an RV rooftop) simply is too low (or too small) to receive sufficient signal to produce any TV signal.

There is no difference in an "analog antenna and a digital antenna" except that they are "optimized" for reception at specific frequencies. They ALL receive ALL signals, just process one frequency band slightly better than the other bands. The Sensar antenna head used on most Keystone products is optimized for HDTV as well as for the old "analog TV" signals. It will work for both. Adding the "Wingman" kit to that antenna will make it more directional and if pointed in the wrong direction will not receive a signal strong enough to amplify for the TV receiver to process.

I've found that the new "improved" Winegard with the Wingman addon is about as good as it gets for most RV antennas. The Jack's antenna runs about the same reception ability. There is a new "flat plate" antenna being introduced, but from what I can tell, it's simply a "bow-tie" antenna inside a plastic housing. That's "sort of" like two coat hangers tied together to form a bow tie configuration. Commercial models are much more sophisticated, and work well, but still, if it's mounted "too low to the ground" it, like all antennas, will not be able to receive any signal in some areas.

Most people who have "no signal at all" when their neighbors are getting a signal usually find a loose co-ax connector, a broken wire or a problem with their amplifier (assuming they had TV reception on the system in the past). I'd ask the neighbor how his antenna is working and if he complains about not getting any signal, you've got your answer. If he says that his TV is working "just fine", then I'd start looking for loose connectors and double checking the amplifier/power supply. The amp is in the antenna "head" the power supply is in the "wall plate with the little green light".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
dhn

I use this site to see what channels I should be able to pick up at a campground. you can move the "pin" to any location and see what direction a tower is from your location.

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

This site is pretty accurate most of the times I have used it. Don't know anyone that has an antenna that is 30 feet in the air like the disclaimer above the map says but it still works. Have not checked to see if they have an app, but it works good on a smartphone's browser.
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote