Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
MikeES

Mounting a ladder

We have a 2013 Sprinter 266RBS. Out previous TT had a mounted ladder, and it was very handy. I understand that to mount a ladder I need to know where the structure ribs are under the fiberglass.
I can see where they are on the sides of the TT but not on the back panel. My stud finder can locate them on the sides also, but not getting a clear definition of where the ribs are on the back.
The dealer is no help, (probably because they know they will not be doing the work).
Has anyone install a ladder on the back of a Sprinter?
MikeES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
BulletOwner1

My Bullet doesn't have a ladder either. It is my understanding that units without ladders (mine at least) being of the Lite design type don't have the strength in the roof to allow for walking around so ladders were not installed. I'm going to purchase one of the collapsible models for the times when roof maintenance is required and if I need to climb on the roof I will take some plywood to distribute weight.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=370577340372
Old 08-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
MikeES

I have walked around on all of our campers, they recommend that the roof is washed a couple of times per year. You also will not be able to service the air conditioner without getting onto the roof.

I thought about the telescoping aluminum ladders...the e-bay price is not too bad. I want it primarily for brushing off the slide before retracting it back in...we camp mostly in wooded national parks.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Woodsrider

I'll be putting a ladder on mine as well, but as far as keeping the top of the slide out clean, can I suggest an awning? I will be adding that to mine, since I plan to be in the rain and snow with it during hunting season. I prefer to keep the water, ice and debris off the slide altogether.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Karen & Larry

ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeES View Post
We have a 2013 Sprinter 266RBS. Out previous TT had a mounted ladder, and it was very handy. I understand that to mount a ladder I need to know where the structure ribs are under the fiberglass.
I can see where they are on the sides of the TT but not on the back panel. My stud finder can locate them on the sides also, but not getting a clear definition of where the ribs are on the back.
The dealer is no help, (probably because they know they will not be doing the work).
Has anyone install a ladder on the back of a Sprinter?

We had the dealership install an after market ladder to the back of our 29 Cougar X Lite RET they got the specs from the factory so they could install it.
Karen & Larry
Karen & Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
audio1der

I contacted our dealer who contacted Keystone, and they said the Passport line, at least, was not designed with plates in the walls to support a ladder.
I bought a cheap aluminum 6' stepladder and strapped it to the rear bumper; problem solved.
I would suggest checking that you won't rip any anchor bolts out of your wall by adding a ladder yourself.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
michol02

I have a 12' telescopic ladder I got off of Amazon for $99 + shipping. It is lightweight, sturdy(I weigh close to 250 lbs) and easily stores in my front storage area. I go on my roof often to sweep away leaves and debris before pulling in my slides.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
MikeES

Good Idea! Decided to buy the 12' telescoping ladder. e-bay for $89 with free shipping. It gets more flexibility than the mounted ladder, which is $85 plus shipping and then mounting.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #9
audio1der

$85?!? the cheapest I could find a 12' telescopic (which was my first choice) here is $219. I need to go e-shopping-thanks!
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote