Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
suza

Smart Tiles Backsplash Follow-up; a tray, an ottoman, and other indulgences

Warning: if you are not excited about interior decorating, this might be heavy reading for you

We've had our new Courgar 279RKS for about a month. While I've had fun outfitting the kitchen and adding a bit of decorative touches with pillows, placemats, towels, etc, I'm now ready to move on to interior mods - specifically a Smart Tile backsplash, as suggested on the Forum. Motives for my madness are protecting the wall and fridge cabinet from grease, moisture and cooking splatters and accenting the standard, neutral color scheme; ours is "Autumn". Plus, I need something to keep me occupied as I anxiously await our next trip.

I like the autumn decor. While other schemes have busy, patterned upholstery, the only patterned interior elements in the main living area are the tops of the valences and the decorative wallpaper "stripe" (which I could live without). Our set-up has the table and chairs option which has tweed upholstered seats on the chairs. This lack of patterned furniture lends itself well to the addition of accessories, such as pillows, which I have used to incorporate red as a main accent color. Several bright pillows on the sofa and - I'm so excited about this - a red, faux leather, nesting cube ottoman (one smaller cube fits inside a larger one), which allows us to "recline" on our swivel rocker and sofa as well as providing a place to store my laptop, etc. The larger ottoman also serves well as a "coffee table" for the sofa when topped with a large, 18" diameter pine needle tray. . . . .

Let me digress a bit more to say, this tray was one of the best purchases I made during one of my "RV outfitting" shopping sprees. We use it on the dining table to hold various items, as a serving tray when eating outside, and, as mentioned above, to turn the ottoman into a coffee table. It was an impulse buy at our Ross discount store and for $16 worth every penny, and then some.

OK. Back to the kitchen backsplash mod . . . . .

I'm thinking of using the Murano Cosmo (solid red, rectangles) mosaic beside and behind the stove, probably only as high as one sheet of mosaic, perhaps two, and the 3 3/4" Pomodoro (red) tiles, in a single row, as a backsplash clear around the rest of the counter. I think I will attempt to remove the decorative wallpaper border, just in the kitchen, so as not to distract from the "tiles".

After reading Smart Tile reviews online, some comments were made 1. the tiles look like "cheap plastic stickers" and 2. the tiles don't stay stuck to the wall (this may have been due to the lack of proper preparation). Has anyone here, who has installed these in their RV, had the "tiles" not stay on the wall. I don't want to spend the $$$$ and have the "tiles" fall off the wall. Are they a good value or do they look like "cheap plastic stickers"? Are they working out? Easy to clean? Appearance? Any suggestions or concerns would be appreciated.

If the kitchen mod is successful, I might put a single tile backsplash in the bathroom, just to "liven it up"; the bathroom definately needs some color. I have aqua, coral and white towels and would use the aqua tile for this, or maybe alternate aqua/chocolate ??? My DIL suggested a waterfall wallpaper mural on one wall. It might make the bathroom seem bigger, but seems a bit "over the top" to me. Has anyone considered this?

Boy, this "mod" thing could get out of hand. Hope I haven't bored you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar LR Kit DR.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	3467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murano cosmo.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	3468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pomodoro Wall Tile.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	3469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alegria Motif.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	3472  
Attached Images

Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
f6bits

I like how you describe the color scheme as "Autumn." I thought we all had the same scheme: browns and tans. But I like how neutral your decor is. I have Havana and like it quite a bit.

Anyhow, on to the Smart Tiles. Mine stick very well. My wife loves how it came out and our visiting stick-house neighbors also really like them. As for looking "plasticky," glass tiles and plastic stiles are going to look similar, so having a plastic look isn't a surprise. But it *is* a thin sheet, so you're really not fooling anybody. But they certainly don't look cheap.

You seem torn between one and two tiles tall. I went with two, but think one-and-a-half might look pretty good.

Final tips on the smart tiles: When cleaning, you need to wipe "inward" to the corner. When installing, the "finger" end of the tile sticks onto the blank white spots of the previous tile. With that in mind, you want to clean "with" the fingers instead of "against" the fingers just so you don't accidentally peel them back. They stick well, but like a fingernail, a rag can snag and pull them back a bit.

I like the idea of livening up the bathroom decor. I'd prefer the aqua themed tile backsplash over a mural. I'm not a mural decor lover. The sink is in a small enough corner that the backsplash would be nice. Other than that, there's only the wall area behind the toilet. Maybe you can fancy up the sliding door.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
suza

Good tips on the Smart Tiles. You've been very helpful.

Regarding the cleaning tip and the "fingers" on the Smart Tiles, I think I know what you mean, and it will probably make sense when I see the sheets.

The mural was my daughter-in-law's suggestion. I don't really want to attempt that one, especially with the angled wall behind the toilet. Besides, they are spendy. But I will do the backsplash on the vanity, for sure.

Our decor is actually called "Autumn" I suppose you could say it is warmer tones of brown. The sofa is a golden tan and the chair is chocolate brown. Brown really isn't my favorite color, but it beats the teal blue in our old 1996 Nash. And, the browns blend well with the red.

I'll post pics of the tiles when I finish the project. Won't be till after the 4th.

We love our Cougar.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
suza

So, I went to several Home Depots in Oregon, in search of Smart Tiles. I wanted to get a look at the colors before deciding what to order. Found out that Home Depots in the Pacific Northwest do not carry them in the store . . . not even in Portland. So, I will order one of a few different colors, have them shipped to the closest store, and they will return the one I don't want.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
CCC

That's true at my local Home Depot here in Texas. The nice lady in the tile dept. told me the smart tiles are only available online. So, I went with glass tiles since I'm only using 2 of them.
Good luck, and here's hoping you like what comes in.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
suza

Smart tile installation prep

I'm anxiously awaiting the UPS truck. I ordered Smart Tiles for the RV kitchen and bath backsplashes and they are due to arrive any minute now

I will be installing mosaic tiles beside and behind the stove. The wall beside the stove is "woodgrain" paneling. Smart Tiles installation instructions call for cleaning the surface to be covered with TSP. I am wondering, has anyone on the forum installed the tiles on the paneling and if so, did you prep with TSP? I'm worried the TSP might damage (discolor or dull) the paneling which would not be desirable if I later decide to remove the tiles. Likewise, with the wallpaper behind the stove.

I was thinking of using something less caustic - perhaps vinegar or Dawn detergent. I think the purpose is to get the surface clean and grease free. Our RV is very new, so there is very little, if any grease build-up on the walls (I always wipe down well after cooking). It cost a lot for the tiles, so I want the project to be a success. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
suza

No kitchen backsplash

When I received my Smart Tiles, the mosaic sheets came with instructions saying you had to leave a 15" safe zone when installing them around a gas stove. They are advertised to be heat resistant, but apparently open flame is a problem. This pretty much fouled up my plan to put them on the wall beside and behind the stove. I see others have installed them directly behind their stove, but say they are very careful, when cooking, not to get things too hot. I don't want to have to be worrying about heat when I'm cooking so I will be returning the tiles for the kitchen.

I did, however, keep the 3 1/2" tiles I ordered for the bathroom and they look great. An easy install - took about 1/2 hour to measure, cut and stick.

Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
enyapp

I've read posts where people have instaled the plastic ceiling tiles around the stove as a backsplash. I'm not sure about the heat rating but my may want to do a search if you are interested.
Something like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-Tr...0-18/100671029
enyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyapp View Post
I've read posts where people have instaled the plastic ceiling tiles around the stove as a backsplash. I'm not sure about the heat rating but my may want to do a search if you are interested.
Something like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-Tr...0-18/100671029
Thanks for the tip. I'll do some searching and see what I can find.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
pookie210

Love the idea of adding some tile around the bathroom sink at the very least but entertaining the kitchen stove area, too. DH is soooo not going to like that I am reading all these wonderful improvement/mod ideas.
pookie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
floatflyer

I ordered Smart Tiles from Home Depot and installed in the galley and bathroom. Looks nice and easier to wipe down.
floatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatflyer View Post
I ordered Smart Tiles from Home Depot and installed in the galley and bathroom. Looks nice and easier to wipe down.
Would you mind sharing pics? How are the tiles working in the "galley"? Are they affected by heat from the stove?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
RV 4 Fun

had my wife do this install about 3 months ago. She knows my cutting/detail type skills are get it done and don't fret with the "little things"....and cuz she did it Looks great! And She loves it.
As to your question of heat build up.....not been a problem for us. But we do use the front burner most of the time....rear ones less often.
I would suspect the first thing one might notice is ........constant heat might warm up the sticky glue on the back of the smart tiles. Maybe they would start to come off....if so reapply some sticky glue and put them back up.
Sticky or tacky glue on the back is how these things are held up....
We also had to order on line----
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
CCC

smart tiles vs. glass

We installed traditional glass tiles from Home Depot behind our stovetop (see attached pic). But that was a fair amount of work, so I ordered some stick-on smart tiles from Home Depot online to put up on the bathroom sink surround.

I ordered these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-Til...r#.UheZ_H9yGhM I thought there would be four of the four-square tiles (thought I'd get 12 individual 4x4 tile pieces) since I ordered "one" of the 4-packs. But, it only had 4 small (4" x 4") tiles.

I went ahead and stuck what I had up on the wall in the bathroom, but HATED the way they looked and felt. Slickery, shiney, and cheapo. So, I pulled them down. I wouldn't want them near a heat source, just my .02.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	4002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	4003  
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
We installed traditional glass tiles from Home Depot behind our stovetop. But that was a fair amount of work, so I ordered some stick-on smart tiles from Home Depot online to put up on the bathroom sink surround.

I ordered these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-Til...3?N=3wrhttp:// I thought there would be four of the four-square tiles (thought I'd get 12 4x4 tile pieces) since I ordered "one" of the 4-packs. But, it only had 4 of the 4x4.

I went ahead and stuck what I had up on the wall in the bathroom, but HATED the way they looked and felt. Slickery, shiney, and cheapo. So, I pulled them down. I wouldn't want them near a heat source, just my .02.
I like your glass tile installation. The proportions look great. How high did you make the backsplash? I think it would be worth it not to have to worry about heat/flame and the possibility of the tiles coming loose.

I have done tile backsplashes before and can handle that. I assume they come in mosaic sheets and are not individually installed. Did you get these from Home Depot, as well.

Thanks for the pic.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
I like your glass tile installation. The proportions look great. How high did you make the backsplash? I think it would be worth it not to have to worry about heat/flame and the possibility of the tiles coming loose.

I have done tile backsplashes before and can handle that. I assume they come in mosaic sheets and are not individually installed. Did you get these from Home Depot, as well.

Thanks for the pic.
Thanks! We got two 12-12 squares from Home Depot and glued them to a backer board, then grouted and sealed, then put trim around and screwed that to the wall to hold it up. Hoping the backer board won't flex like the RV walls would. So far, so good.

More info. and pics of the mods we made (and how) are on my thread here on these forums: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11930
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
Thanks! We got two 12-12 squares from Home Depot and glued them to a backer board, then grouted and sealed, then put trim around and screwed that to the wall to hold it up. Hoping the backer board won't flex like the RV walls would. So far, so good.

More info. and pics of the mods we made (and how) are on my thread here on these forums: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11930
If I did the math correctly, this means the backsplash is 24w x 12h ?
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
If I did the math correctly, this means the backsplash is 24w x 12h ?
Yes on the backerboard. But then the stained wood trim surround makes the overall measurements more like 27w x 13.5h.

Here's the link to the tiles from HD, showing they are 12 x 12:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-S-Inter...7#.Uhe1E39yGhM