Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Redfox458

Short queen mattress topper

Looking to upgrade the stock "pad" of a mattress in my Springdale. Can't afford a brand new mattress so I was thinking this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rt-queen/60993

Has anybody used anything like this? I'd like to sleep comfortably instead of waking up in extreme pain every 5 minutes. I searched the forum and didn't find anything overly helpful. Thanks!!
Redfox458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Bushman512000

I bought a toper from Sam's Club

We have a matt.topper from Sam's Club I did cut it down works great cost was about $50.00 made a great improvement for sleeping it is a memory foam with a jell foam and is cool used it a year now and still holding up great. Some extra weight I did not open the box till on the bed that was a good thing as it is a bear to move about. Bushmann
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
KanTC

Redfox,

There's several previous discussions on the forum about adding a mattress topper (memory foam).

Depending on what type, thickness & density you want, they can usually be purchased at retail stores like
WalMart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club, etc; plus you can find them online at places like Overstock too.

Hint: a typical memory foam topper can be cut with an electric knife.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Jca3

I did the same. Purchased the memory foam first, then added the pillow top so use both. It is real comfortable now. My dealer put wheels under the bed so the slide doesn't run on the carpet because he said the extra weight might be a problem. We needed the wheels anyway. I would totally recommend them if you have a bed slide.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Jim Dow

Add a memory foam topper at a minimum

My wife found a memory foam topper (1 1/2" thick) that's cool and comfy. It made a world of difference. She just covered it with a regular mattress cover; and we sleep a lot better. See Pic for brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memory Foam Pad.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	3592  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
suza

I purchased a 3" gel/memory foam topper from Costco. I don't recall the brand, but chose a higher quality thinking, if it didn't work in the RV, we would use it on our home mattress. The topper has a removable cover that can be laundered.

Our bed is a queen, but 6" shorter than regular. It is configured to slide 6" away from the headboard, when sleeping, using the decorative bolsters to fill the gap where your pillows sit. Despite my husband being over six-foot, we find we don't need to do this. I thought I might trim the topper to fit, but then the cover would be too big. Left the foam pad long and it makes the mattress slightly longer with a bit of a sag at the bottom (just not solid to sit on, but works for us). And, regular queen sheets now fit the bed!

We love the topper. Makes the bed as comfortable as the pillow top in the house. Definitely worth the cost (I believe it was around $100) to get a good quality one and still less expensive than an upgraded, custom mattress, IMO.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Sicapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox458 View Post
Looking to upgrade the stock "pad" of a mattress in my Springdale. Can't afford a brand new mattress so I was thinking this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rt-queen/60993

Has anybody used anything like this? I'd like to sleep comfortably instead of waking up in extreme pain every 5 minutes. I searched the forum and didn't find anything overly helpful. Thanks!!
This is what we bought for our 195 RB. It's the best addition we did. Soooooo much more confortable. Great product at a good price.

2013 Passport 195RB
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 3,6L
Sicapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
karen.b.anderson

I bought a memory foam topper from overstock.com, and when that wasn't enough slabs of 2" high density foam from Joann Fabrics when it was on sale for half off. The mattress pad keeps it all together, deep pocket sheets cover the whole thing fine. Kinda kludged together, but at least we were able to buy a layer at a time while we determined how much help the stock mattress needed.
karen.b.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Redfox458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicapo View Post
This is what we bought for our 195 RB. It's the best addition we did. Soooooo much more confortable. Great product at a good price.
Exactly what I was looking for! I think I'll try this first. Call me lazy, but if its less work then I'm in. I like the ideas of the other toppers, with my model trailer I have a tv stand at the foot of the bed, not much room to move around. With my luck buying a topper for a regular size mattress then cutting it down, it'd fall apart or somehow blow up in my face, then good luck returning it!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
RDB

Purchased the same topper from Camping World. It improved the overall comfort of the original mattress (2012 Outback 301BQ). No cutting required, unroll, wait for 24 hrs and install.
RDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
sonic2

I bought Made in America bedding

We wanted the highest quality Made in the USA products for our bedding. We bought a mattress topper, sheets and mattress pad from AB Lifestyles of South Carolina. The mattress pad is very soft and very padded and does not have the hard fiberglass sides as the cheap imports. The bottom sheet is fitted at the foot of the bed. We have a foam mattress at home so this topper gives that same comfort while camping.

We buy our bedding for our home and RV from this company. If you want quality bedding for your RV and your home, try this Made in USA company.

AB Lifestyles of South Carolina: http://www.ablifestyles.net/servlet/StoreFront
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
CincyGus

I looked your camper up in your profile and see you have a Bunk House.

We have Bunk beds in ours along with a short queen.

We bought two queen size 3" memory foam mattress toppers at Sam's Club for $99 each. I cut the end off the short queen to fit and took the second one and marked it up with a magic marker after measuring the bunks. Took a little off at the bottom and some off the side and two perfectly fit pads for the bunks. All the trimmings went into the dogs zippered bed and now we all sleep like babies.

Those things they push off as a mattress ought to be outlawed as cruel and unusual torture devices. I think I'd rather be water boarded than sleep one more night on those ;-)

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Redfox458

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Those things they push off as a mattress ought to be outlawed as cruel and unusual torture devices. I think I'd rather be water boarded than sleep one more night on those ;-)
Agreed! Not sure why they even call them "mattresses".
Old 07-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Redfox458

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
We wanted the highest quality Made in the USA products for our bedding. We bought a mattress topper, sheets and mattress pad from AB Lifestyles of South Carolina. The mattress pad is very soft and very padded and does not have the hard fiberglass sides as the cheap imports. The bottom sheet is fitted at the foot of the bed. We have a foam mattress at home so this topper gives that same comfort while camping.

We buy our bedding for our home and RV from this company. If you want quality bedding for your RV and your home, try this Made in USA company.

AB Lifestyles of South Carolina: http://www.ablifestyles.net/servlet/StoreFront

Assuming you bought the "Visco memory foam mattress topper"?