Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
tocools

Airbags

I am thinking of adding airbags to my truck and doing awsy with the WD bars it will be one less thing I have to deal with. I feel I can do this as I already have more then enough truck for our TT. What do you think?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Flyguy

I don't think that air bags on your TV are a substitute for the weight distribution bars on your hitch. While the air bags will remove sag on the rear of the TV they do nothing for the equalizing of weight to all the tires of both the TV and the trailer, JMO. Airbags would serve a better purpose in a 5ver situation then a TT one.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
tampacamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocools View Post
I am thinking of adding airbags to my truck and doing awsy with the WD bars it will be one less thing I have to deal with. I feel I can do this as I already have more then enough truck for our TT. What do you think?
Whats your hitch weight?

What are you using for sway control? That would be the only issuse I could see being a problem. It is a real truck!!!
tampacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
tocools

Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
scubapop

air bags

I recommend you do more research before removing the hitch weight distribution/sway bars and installing air bags. I would recommend you utilize both system to improve handling and the ride.

Air bags are designed to help keep the truck level in the forward to aft plane while carrying a load whether it is a 5th wheel or TT. In the case of a TT it’s the tongue weight of the unit that needs to be the focus. The bags will aid in eliminating sag between the TT and TV and possibly bottoming out of the hitch or TT/TV over bumps

The bars on your hitch on the other hand as designed to distribute the tongue weight forward on your TV and to control the dangerous sway and rocking the can occur when being passed by 18 wheelers or on slippery and/or curvy roads. Under no circumstances would I remove the bars from the hitch.

When used together the WD/sway bars the air bags will provide a considerable amount of increased stability and control as you travel down the road not to mention the improvement in the quality of the ride.

We have been using both systems for almost a year now and would recommend it for all TT users. Hope this helps and provides a little insight into your decision.

scubapop
scubapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Bulldog79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I don't think that air bags on your TV are a substitute for the weight distribution bars on your hitch. While the air bags will remove sag on the rear of the TV they do nothing for the equalizing of weight to all the tires of both the TV and the trailer, JMO. Airbags would serve a better purpose in a 5ver situation then a TT one.
Tocools,

i agree with Flyguy. I had airbags installed (Firestone) on my rig thinking they would help and found out it didn't make that much difference as long as you're using the WD hitch. IMO, save your $$ unless you plan on heavy loads without the TT.

Cory

2012 Outback 277RL
'01 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/LB Duramax 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Edge CTS Programmer w/EGT probe
Bulldog79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
AlCorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I also agree. I have Firestone air bags, (traded in my 5'er). When the Dealer set up my weight distribution hitch for my TT, they asked how many psi I keep in the air bags and told me to keep it set at the same psi while towing, (with in 5lb either way). If I decide to change my towing psi in air bags, I'd have to readjust the weight distribution hitch.
New Bedford, MA
https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...R/IMG_1198.jpg
AlCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocools View Post
Airbags and weight distribution are pretty much two entirely separate systems with two entirely different functions. Once can not take the place of the other.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote