Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
wincrasher

Water Heater fix

Still luvin my new Outback. So far it's been problem free except for one thing.

Last week one morning I awoke to no hot water. I had left the water heater on electric for since I arrive in MD (about 4 weeks).

I put it in gas mode and it got hot in about 15 mins. I was thinking the element was bad and was discussing it with one of the guys at work. He suggested I check the reset switch in the outside panel. The manual for suburban is not much help, but I found the two switches that are covered by rubber grommets. I pressed each of them, both separately and together. It escapes me how these work, as I don't feel any movement when I press. However, this seems to work, as I turned the electric switch on and got hot water in about a half hour.

Can anyone better explain these switches to me? Also, I was curious as to weather people use both modes (both gas and electric) at the same time to get maximum refresh on the hot water (longer showers)? Also, should I not leave the electric mode on all the time? Should I shut off while at work and turn on in evening and at nite?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

The resets (Usually only one of the rubber dots actually has a switch under it) is a limit switch for the element. once it resets you can feel no movement.
When we have full hook ups and are not using A/C we leave the electric element on all the time and turn the gas on also for showers. This way the recovery rate is very good and we never run out of hot water.
Once the tank is hot it should hold temp most of the day if there is no water usage so if it makes you more comfortable turn off the circuit breaker for the water heater when you leave in the morning and back on when you get home. It will be hot in no time.

I hope I answered some of your questions , Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Bowline

Electric element water heater

I used the electric element in my water heater nearly every day on a three month RV adventure with no problems. Also, my wife and I take back-to-back (not literally - not enough room) showers using both gas and electricity together. We have never run out of hot water. I had one occasion where I had to reset the water heater's electric function by pressing those buttons, and have had no trouble since.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote