Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Kcorp

2017 Montana ac not blowing cold air

I have a 3731 FL model Montana, just purchased it a few weeks ago. Anyways the rear air conditioning unit is not blowing cold air at all, however it is moving air and I can hear the compressor running -It is noticeably louder than the unit up front (which is working perfectly fine) and they're both whisper quite systems. I also went up on the roof to take a look and I know that any working ac unit will be blowing hot air out of it, but the unit in the rear wasn't blowing hot air out while the one up front was... I'd like to be able to just trouble shoot the problem myself, but if not I guess I'll have to have some warranty work done. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.
Kcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Folks have all kinds of opinions on doing work yourself...and I think you should when you can, but, as new as your unit is I would worry that once you tear into the unit you will void your warranty. Maybe you fix it, maybe you don't. If you don't it could be a pretty expensive mistake.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

While we are waiting for others to make the runs, do you have a dual zone system and are both zones set for cool temps?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Kcorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
While we are waiting for others to make the runs, do you have a dual zone system and are both zones set for cool temps?
Yes it is a dual zone system, one thermostat for each ac unit, so each unit is controlled individually. I've tried one on, one off, vise versa, both on set on cool at 65 degrees.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
Kcorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Folks have all kinds of opinions on doing work yourself...and I think you should when you can, but, as new as your unit is I would worry that once you tear into the unit you will void your warranty. Maybe you fix it, maybe you don't. If you don't it could be a pretty expensive mistake.
You are right and I dont intended to take anything apart, I'd much rather use the benefit of a warranty to resolve this issue. I figured there might be way of using the thermostat to resolve the issue.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Did the second AC work when you did the PDI? Are you on house current or 50 amp? I'm asking where and how you running it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
Kcorp

It did work on pdi. In fact my gf and I woke up to it being freezing inside the first night because I turned both the thermostats down to 55. But I'm hooked up to 50 amp service in a campground. It's extremely well shaded by trees to the point to where even with the blinds open, with the windows being tinted, it's pretty dark inside during the day.

Update; I tried the heat pump on the unit in question and that function too didn't feel like it was working either.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcorp View Post
It did work on pdi. In fact my gf and I woke up to it being freezing inside the first night because I turned both the thermostats down to 55. But I'm hooked up to 50 amp service in a campground. It's extremely well shaded by trees to the point to where even with the blinds open, with the windows being tinted, it's pretty dark inside during the day.

Update; I tried the heat pump on the unit in question and that function too didn't feel like it was working either.
Kcorp, thanks for the update. If you don't ask you don't know and I hate assumptions. Something is definitely not right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
Kcorp

Yeah I think she definitely needs to go to the shop. And unfortunately this is one of those things that can't wait, it's only going to get hotter outside as summer rolls in. I guess I get to see how good Keystone is on their warranty.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
geobet

If the unit is a Dometic, it has probably dumped the Freon. No Schrader valves to test or to add Freon. Dealer will swap out under warranty. Not cost effective to repair. On my last unit, I went through SIX Dometic unit changeouts to get one that finally stayed working - all under warranty. Problem seems to be the thin wall capillary tubes - especially if they are resting against the hard foam insulation within the housing - vibration causes them to wear through. Factory knows about it and why they haven't issued a recall is beyond me.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
If the unit is a Dometic, it has probably dumped the Freon. No Schrader valves to test or to add Freon. Dealer will swap out under warranty. Not cost effective to repair. On my last unit, I went through SIX Dometic unit changeouts to get one that finally stayed working - all under warranty. Problem seems to be the thin wall capillary tubes - especially if they are resting against the hard foam insulation within the housing - vibration causes them to wear through. Factory knows about it and why they haven't issued a recall is beyond me.
Just another example of how the "cheap Chinese knockoff" build quality doesn't hold up. As for not issuing a recall, my guess would be that since it's not a "safety item that mandates a recall"...... Dometic will hold their breath and keep the profits (if they can)....

Makes one wonder why the big shift from using "ozone destructive Freon" vs the new "improved atmosphere friendly Freon" is any better if we seldom released the old stuff and we go through "six releases" before finding on that will hold a charge.....and call it "improved" .

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 AM   #12
geobet

You took the words right out of my mouth John. With my luck the EPA will be showing up on my doorstep soon.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #13
Kcorp

Alright so here's the update. I've contacted Keystone and they told me it'd be no problem to get it worked on. They said I had two options, I could take it to a certified service dealer and have the work done and I wouldn't have to pay anything upfront. Or I could have a non certified service shop do the work and pay for the repairs to be later reimburst by Keystone. Well, I called both of the nearby certified service centers and one has a waiting list out til June 30th and the other won't pick up the phone in their service section.... so I with the long wait in mind, and the fact it's summer and I need it done yesterday, I had a guy come out from a place that works on rv's and semi trucks. Well he was there all of 15 minutes, all he had to do was go inside and feel the air coming from the vents, then hop on the roof, pop the cover off the unit, and put his hand on the copper piping. The pipes were warm, not cool and the compressor was hot. Coolant leak for sure he said, and usually what they find is that a small pinhole in one of the solder joints is all it takes. So my man in the more recent comments you were correct! I need a new unit. Well the guy hasn't called me back yet, it's been a week and a half so I'll try calling tomorrow and if they haven't ordered anything I'll just go to that dealer that won't pick the phone up in person, or I'll be taking a road trip to the next nearest one. I'm in Williamsburg VA if anyone knows a good place. It makes it all the more difficult because it's my house and I'm a welder working in the area.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #14
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcorp View Post
Alright so here's the update. I've contacted Keystone and they told me it'd be no problem to get it worked on. They said I had two options, I could take it to a certified service dealer and have the work done and I wouldn't have to pay anything upfront. Or I could have a non certified service shop do the work and pay for the repairs to be later reimburst by Keystone. Well, I called both of the nearby certified service centers and one has a waiting list out til June 30th and the other won't pick up the phone in their service section.... so I with the long wait in mind, and the fact it's summer and I need it done yesterday, I had a guy come out from a place that works on rv's and semi trucks. Well he was there all of 15 minutes, all he had to do was go inside and feel the air coming from the vents, then hop on the roof, pop the cover off the unit, and put his hand on the copper piping. The pipes were warm, not cool and the compressor was hot. Coolant leak for sure he said, and usually what they find is that a small pinhole in one of the solder joints is all it takes. So my man in the more recent comments you were correct! I need a new unit. Well the guy hasn't called me back yet, it's been a week and a half so I'll try calling tomorrow and if they haven't ordered anything I'll just go to that dealer that won't pick the phone up in person, or I'll be taking a road trip to the next nearest one. I'm in Williamsburg VA if anyone knows a good place. It makes it all the more difficult because it's my house and I'm a welder working in the area.
Everyone is going to be busy this time of year. End of June isn't that unrealistic and really not too bad. Dodd RV in Yorktown and Dixie RV in Newport News are worth a try. But sadly since you aren't local and didn't buy from them it is highly unlikely they will put you at the top of their list. Doesn't hurt to ask though. I get all my work done 3 hours away in Danville, but I bought it there and go by there twice a year so it's easy for me to call first and stop in.

Edit - there's also a good mobile RV repair guy over in Gloucester. I can't think of his name but I'll try to look it up.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #15
canesfan

I'm pretty sure this is the place I have used in the past
http://tidewaterrv.com/
Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #16
Kcorp

Thanks dude I'll give those places a shot, if it doesn't work out with the mobile service I have now. I know these guys have all got to be busy. I'm sure what happens is a ton of people go camping in the spring only to find all of their problems. But man I tell you what, that 40 foot rig really needs a 2nd ac to keep it cool in the back bedroom, so I am feeling impatient. Danville, you bought yours from RV Outlets right? I almost bought from there, but they didn't have the interior decor that I wanted. I did get camping world down in Concord NC to match their price, surprisingly, plus they did have the half year updated model and the right decor. I guess that's worse case I'll have to drive down to Concord.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #17
Javi

A quick note... You don't actually need a Keystone service center for the warranty repair, just a service center for the brand of A/C.. A lot of the mobile and independent guys are certified for warranty repair on most of the appliances and fixtures. Call around, usually their work load is less because they're not doing make ready..

Javi
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Kcorp

Update;

Colonial Truck and Trailer (newly renamed colonial truck, trailer, and rv repair) replaced my unit back on June 12th and everything went smoothly. I actually didn't have much of a problem with Keystone, other than a few people forgetting to return calls. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that as there has to be a long line of people calling there everyday. Other than that though the warranty staff are very kind and helpful and most importantly they're honest. So I've been authorized for a reimbursement of $1,764 and I paid $1,914. I'm $150 out of pocket for this, which sucks, but they did tell me they don't pay for service calls or any expenses implied by taking it to a certified service. On the plus side I did get to keep the old unit so I probably could sell it in eBay for spare part. The dude that put the new unit on said they could pierce the line with valves and charge it but if it leaked before... then wouldn't it leak again? If it works though I could have a 3rd ac on my roof

Tags
montana