Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
evanhix

Roof has bubbles.

I went to wash the roof on my 2017 Carbon today and noticed bubbles under the membrane. I've been on the roof before and never noticed them before. I assume that this isn't normal but is it something I should be concerned about? I am getting ready to tow 2000 miles over the next 2 weeks so I won't have the chance to take in to the dealer for inspection. Is there a product that I should bring along just in case the bubbles become a problem and I need to make an emergency repair? Also my warranty is up in September. How willing is keystone to authorize roof repairs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1129.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	13338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	13339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	13340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	13341  
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone seems to be about 50/50 on approving roof repairs during warranty and almost NEVER after the warranty expires. You'll be pushing the envelope by waiting until after your trip to report the problem to your dealer. I'd suggest you contact the dealership and discuss the problem. They may accept your photos to start the claim or they may want you to bring it by so they can document the problem and get Keystone "working on approval" while you're on the trip. If you wait until after you get back (August) and the dealer can't make you an appointment until 4-6-8 weeks later, you may be arguing an "out of warranty" problem. It doesn't much matter "WHEN" it happened, it's more a "point of contention" WHEN IT IS REPORTED" that you'll be "knocking heads" about. Keystone controls the purse so it's play by their rules, even if we don't like it, they're the "king on the hill" when it comes to getting things done.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
evanhix

Thank you. I am going to head to the dealer today and see what they have to say. I've heard a few negative stories about Keystone and their unwillingness to honor a roof warranty so I will take your advice and start the process before
It is to late.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #4
nellie1289

one thing I have noticed (and also the dealer told me) is on those warm days the "gasses" underneath expand and cause some bubbles and ripples. Look at it on a cool day or at night or in the shade. I bet they are gone. this came up after my roof was fixed for a delamination from the front cap. THey say it is the gasses in the glues/adhesives. Anyway, check it at night Mine definitely go away!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
geobet

What Nellie said. Also, on really hot days don't get on the roof unless you have too and then, if you're wearing sneakers, DON'T twist you feet - LIFT them when you change direction. The adhesive can be a bit soft and can actually separate from under the roof membrane as you twist your foot on the roof - you really don't want to know how I found this out.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
Is there a product that I should bring along just in case the bubbles become a problem and I need to make an emergency repair?
Just thought I'd mention this...I always have a roll of Eternabond Tape in my stash of odds and ends that go everywhere the trailer goes. There have been a few times that my "stuff" has saved the day, not only for me but for others too

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #7
evanhix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
one thing I have noticed (and also the dealer told me) is on those warm days the "gasses" underneath expand and cause some bubbles and ripples. Look at it on a cool day or at night or in the shade. I bet they are gone. this came up after my roof was fixed for a delamination from the front cap. THey say it is the gasses in the glues/adhesives. Anyway, check it at night Mine definitely go away!
Wow. It looks like you are right. When I first noticed it the temp was in the low 90's. I just checked again this morning (in the 60's) and they seem to have disappeared. Thank you for the advice.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
evanhix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin' on View Post
Just thought I'd mention this...I always have a roll of Eternabond Tape in my stash of odds and ends that go everywhere the trailer goes. There have been a few times that my "stuff" has saved the day, not only for me but for others too
I just ordered a roll from Amazon. Looks like a great remedy to have on hand for emergencies. Thank you for the info.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
Steve S

Hi evanhix, I read and looked at the pics twice and personally I would get that roof looked at right away. I can't believe that's a 2017 roof.
I see many leaks in your future, sorry to say that. Best of luck.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #10
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
Wow. It looks like you are right. When I first noticed it the temp was in the low 90's. I just checked again this morning (in the 60's) and they seem to have disappeared. Thank you for the advice.
Yep. It's amazing. And don't worry it is fine.
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof