Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Chippewa93

Smokey Mts from MI

Planning a trip from MI to Smokey Mts for summer of 2017. Any suggestions on dates, campgrounds trip details. I'll be pulling a 35' Passport. It will be my wife and 12 yr old daughter. Can I make it all the way? Suggestions for good halfway point? Probably spend a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
vabow

We just got back from the Anchor Down RV resort TN. It over looks the Douglas reservoir. Close to pigeon forge TN. This is a 5 star park. We will be going back, for sure. Best resort I have stayed at.
vabow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
gearhead

I just got back. I would recommend to get there before school is out, but with a 12 yr old that won't work. Thirty five years ago we went to Gatlinburg. Nice little town with a few motels, t-shirt shops, and cafes. Went back 3 years ago. It has changed. Between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge there is not a franchised fast food place that they missed. Junk, junk, traffic and more traffic. I hated it. Last year we went to Townsend, the quiet side of the Smokies. Went back again this year. If I could get our 5th in one of the Nat Park campgrounds I would be even happier.
Just depends on what you want. If you want Dollywood and Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. then Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is your place. If you want to hike and fish, maybe Townsend. But they are all close enough together to make it work no matter your preference.
But you should drive the Cades Cove Loop. Maybe hike up Abrams Falls trail.
That's a long day from Michigan. Maybe a stopover in Kentucky.
The last 2 trips I made a stopover in Bardstown KY. and toured distilleries.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Tbos

I'll be at Anchor Down in a little more than a week. For me I don't like to drive more than about 8 hours max. How far you can go is really up to you and your family. Plan carefully and give yourself extra margins of time.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Love to Camp

We also stay at Anchor Down. Will be there again next week. Wouldn't consider staying any place else when in the Seiverville/Pigeon Forge area.

2016 Springdale 271RL
2014 Tundra SR Double Cab 5.7
Love to Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Partyman1971

Smokey Mts from MI

Several years ago we made the trip from southwest MI. Left early Saturday and stayed outside Indianapolis at a run down Koa. We also check out the children's museum downtown. Wasn't all that impressed with it.

Sunday we headed to Twin creek Rv resort just east of Gatlinburg. We stayed for 4 days in June so I don't think the traffic was awful but it was busy. We really enjoyed the campground since it had a decent pool and close to a grocery store, plus the tram made stops in front of the campground. We would stay there again. I would love to go back to the Smokeys to hike now that my son is older.

Thursday we left and stayed just outside Cincinnati at a county campground we really liked but I can't seem to remember the name. In the late afternoon we visited the Cincinnati zoo which we enjoyed.

We like to have an overnight near something we can visit for a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Partyman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
hankaye

Chippewa93, Howdy;

Do ya want to get there in a hurry? Take your time? Little of dis an a little
of dat?
Short-cut would be to find US-23 in Central Ohio (somewhere near the
Southern part of Columbus that is), and follow it to I-40 in Tenn. Used to
be 2 lane with a bunch of large rocks trying to rip open a cargo trailer kind
of thing but 12 years ago it was becoming mostly 4 land divided, so it should
be all finished by now and ready for some repairs ... Lots of nice places you might
find to stop for a night in Eastern Ky. It turns into I-26 at Kingsport, and just
South of there you'll find I-81S which will run you down to I-40W just East of Knoxville.
Check it out ... The slowest part that I can think of would be the part from
Columbus, Oh. to just after Ashland, Ky. The rest will go by faster then you think it would.
Plenty of time to do research for stopping spots along the route. I use
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/ and I haven't been disappointed yet. Of
course I check them out first too.
Safe travels, Happy Camping ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Rivy

We have been to Smokemont several times. It is on the North Carolina side of the Smokies and only about 5 or so miles from Cherokee. It is a national park campground which is very affordable. There are several sites near the river. There no hook ups or power but there is potable water and a dump site. There are several bathhouses throughout the camp. Only toilet and sink though. So I'm not sure how much you want to rough it. There are several hiking trails nearby. It's close enough so you can make the day trip to the local tourist traps like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.
Rivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #9
gearhead

Here is a link for info within the park:
http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchResults.do

I can get on my soapbox quickly about campgrounds in the park. My impression is, and I could be wrong, that the park service has an "attitude" regarding RV's. We have driven through several of the campgrounds with a map marking the sites we thought we might be able to fit in with a 36ft 5th wheel. There are many sites a medium size RV would fit, but there will be a log or a big rock at the back of the site restricting the length. Seems to be no logical reason for it.
There are a few sites your 35 ft. trailer will fit. I would call and talk to someone if you want to stay inside the park. Otherwise a commercial campground may suit your needs.

edit add....here is another source of info and to reserve, showing Smokemont:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...O&parkId=70967
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
hankaye

Chippewa93, Howdy;

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that if you can get from I-75 over to US-23
just above Toledo, using I-280 may be better. It will drop you down through
Millbury and Stoney Ridge where you will want to go East on US-20 for almost
2.5 miles. Turn South (Right), and follow 23 south through Fostoria and
Carey. Just after you leave Carey (just past the Mickey D's), you'll go over a 4-lane.
Use the ramp that will take you to the 4-lane below so that you will
be traveling to the South (Left as you look at it from the overpass).
This will bring you to Columbus, OH. Getting through Downtown Col. is not fun in
the best of times with a 4-wheeler, let alone pulling an RV. My suggestion would be to
take I-270 West and go around the madhouse. You will be able to pick-up 23 again
on the South side of Col. There are a few Truck stops at the South end of South
Bloomfield perhaps 12 miles from I-270. Careful, the State Troopers love that section
of highway. All the way down to Chillicohte. Beautiful drive through the country side
down to Portsmouth where you'll cross the Ohio River. Turn Left at the "T" intersection
to stay on 23. When you get to Ashland, Ky. US-60 will join up with 23 and stay
with you till you get to Catlettsburg. There are Convience store type Truck stops
along the route but not so much of any true truck-stops for the best in
the area (well ... it used to be before Pilot bought 'em out), you need to go West
on I64 to the next exit , maybe 5 miles +or- , and you'll find a Flying-J.

My apologizes for leaving the Gaping hole ... earlier.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
mazboy123

make sure you go to little swisserland and walk around the hotel.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
Chippewa93

Thanks all for the great Intel !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote