Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Hope the install went well. I'm guessing you didn't have to drill the frame at all because GM has predrilled holes in the frame for installing hitches, at least mine did, not sure when they started that. You already had all of the info you needed to line everything up and drill the holes for the rails. For me, the hardest part was torqueing the bolts above the fuel tank. They can be difficult to get to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetLife View Post
Finished the install this afternoon. Was able to get the bolts torqued. Most challenging part was getting bolts torqued directly under fuel tank. Install went smoothly and thankfully only had to drill 10 holes through the bed as the frame was already pre-drilled. Here are some pictures of final product.
Sounds familiar very nice install, but it looks like a spray in bed liner should be in the future. I actually forgot what a painted box looks like, been a long time since I've seen one, almost as strange as seeing a regular cab truck these days. That truck was obviously well cared for by the appearance of the bed. Very good find!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #22
TheSweetLife

Quote:
Sounds familiar very nice install, but it looks like a spray in bed liner should be in the future. I actually forgot what a painted box looks like, been a long time since I've seen one, almost as strange as seeing a regular cab truck these days. That truck was obviously well cared for by the appearance of the bed. Very good find!

Thank you very much. YES a spray in liner is in the future. Debating on a DIY or not. Haven't called anywhere yet to ask about prices. 1st priority was getting hitch installed in order to be able to get out camping.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #23
saw dust kid

Can be a chore getting the nut, washer, and lock washer between box and fram. Cut the 3/4 " box end off a
Wrench. Tape the nut, washer, and lock washer to the box wrench end and you can reach between the truck box and fram with you fingers to start the nuts on the bolts for the bed rails.
saw dust kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetLife View Post
Thank you very much. YES a spray in liner is in the future. Debating on a DIY or not. Haven't called anywhere yet to ask about prices. 1st priority was getting hitch installed in order to be able to get out camping.
Last I checked they were about $450, but that was a 6.5' bed. Not sure how much more for an 8' bed. My guess if you check around you can get it done for under $500.

One thing I noticed is your hitch is on the second set of bolts holes where the head mounts to the legs. Depending on how your trailer sits you may have to raise them to the bottom holes for bed clearance. Just give yourself a little extra time when you get ready to leave in case you need to adjust.

Also, recheck the torque on ALL of your bolts after the first couple hundred miles.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 10-24-2015, 05:04 AM   #25
TheSweetLife

Quote:
Last I checked they were about $450, but that was a 6.5' bed. Not sure how much more for an 8' bed. My guess if you check around you can get it done for under $500.

One thing I noticed is your hitch is on the second set of bolts holes where the head mounts to the legs. Depending on how your trailer sits you may have to raise them to the bottom holes for bed clearance. Just give yourself a little extra time when you get ready to leave in case you need to adjust.

Also, recheck the torque on ALL of your bolts after the first couple hundred miles.
So I hooked the trailer up yesterday and I have 6 inches of clearance between the bottom of trailer and the top of bed. From what I've read that's the minimum suggested space. Problem is if I raise that up more than the trailer will not be level and will be nose high. On my last truck I had 5 3/4 inches between truck and trailer so I'm thinking I should be in good shape.
Thanks for suggestion of checking bolts torque. I was defiantly going to check them after first trip. Will probably add that to maintenance list.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #26
bsmith0404

If you have 6" and are level, you're good. I check the torque on my bolts about every 3rd trip now. Sometimes I find a loose one or two, not always. Typically if they are going to loosen up it'll be fairly quick after the install when things kind of shift into place when towing. I have found a few very loose ones after the initial tow on a few different trucks.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #27
roadglide

Nice looking bed for 07 . I have old 85 3/4 ford 4x4 that that helps protect my Chevy. With the long bed and DRW 6 in clearance is more then enough . I have toolbox fuel tank with short bed the clearance up front is 4 inches its close at times and I have been in places with toy Hauler that shouldn't have been.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote