Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
ESICA

Newbie Electrical Question

Greetings,

I just purchased an Alpine 3620FL, and it'll be delivered by the weekend.

I guess I can wait till then for the answer to my question but my ADD won't allow that!

Soooo...are any of the 120v outlets powered by the batteries/inverter or just lights and furnace? What can I expect to use without shore or generator power?

I'm having an Onan installed but I'll I wont have shore power for a couple of months, and was wondering how often I'll need to run the generator. Honestly I'm just looking to run the TV/Stereo at night without hearing the generator.

Thanks for any comments
Chris
ESICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome to the forum .... Unless you are having an optional INVERTER installed with multiple batteries you will only have 12v dc without shore or generator power. The CONVERTER that comes with the trailer charges batteries and supplies 12v when on shore power.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESICA View Post
Greetings,

Soooo...are any of the 120v outlets powered by the batteries/inverter or just lights and furnace? What can I expect to use without shore or generator power?

Thanks for any comments
Chris
All of the 120AC outlets require 120VAC and they do not get any of their "power" from the batteries. I also think you mean "converter" rather than "inverter". A converter changes 120VAC to 12VDC while an inverter changes 12DC to 120VAC. Unless you purchased an inverter, your unit would not be provided with one.

If you are not plugged in to shore power or are using a generator, you won't be able to use any of your appliances of course and your outlets won't provide you with 120VAC. Your A/C will not work nor will your TV/Stereo.

Things that will work off your RV battery or propane are: fridge and stove (off propane), lights, water pump (faucets), toilet, Hot Water tank (off propane), interior fans and furnace. Your slides, awning and stabilizers will work as well.

Turning on a bunch of overhead lights and/or running the furnace for long periods will quickly put a drain on your battery. I'd highly recommend that you switch all of your interior incandescent lights to LED's. Many members have done this and there are a zillion posts as well as a sticky here on the forum about that. Use the search function to find and read all about LED lights.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
ESICA

Thank you for the quick reply's and welcome gentlemen.

I was afraid that would be the answer!

So my first project will be locating the living room circuit and rerouting to a newly purchased inverter. Also adding 2 more batteries for a total of 4. I imagine that'll give me a few hours of night time TV until I recharge everything when I fire up the generator in the morning.

Once again, thank you.

Chris
Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If I recall there are some posts out there from members that have added an inverter and updated their existing battery supply. Try doing a search for say "INVERTER"
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
master sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESICA View Post
Thank you for the quick reply's and welcome gentlemen.

I was afraid that would be the answer!

So my first project will be locating the living room circuit and rerouting to a newly purchased inverter. Also adding 2 more batteries for a total of 4. I imagine that'll give me a few hours of night time TV until I recharge everything when I fire up the generator in the morning.

Once again, thank you.

Chris
With that amount of battery reserve a good solar panel would keep them topped off in the day for your evening entertainment needs.

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Turbo Diesel/ Smarty Jr.
2015 Sprinter Campfire Edition
master sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
ESICA

Thanks for the comments and ideas.

There are a few nice combo inverter/transfer switch options out there. I'll wait to receive to unit to see what'll fit and see how much of the infrastructure I'll re-feed.

I'll share the results....

Chris
Old 02-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Rick

I only have a Springdale TT, but the stereo that came as stock in it runs on 12V. Yours is probably different and may not, though. If your trailer didn't come with a TV, think about buying a TV that runs on 12V. Many do. I bought this-

Insignia TV

and don't require an inverter. In my situation, buying an inverter would be sort of ridiculous. If I had, I'd be changing the 12VDC from the batteries into 110VAC via the inverter. I'd plug the power cord from the TV into the inverter and the wall wart on the TV cord would change the 110VAC back to 12VDC to power the TV. Lots of wiring and $$ on my part to go from 12V to 12V. This might not be your situation.

I just made a 12V cable with a cigarette lighter plug at one end and the correct barrel plug for the TV on the other, and voila! Right now the cord is rather long to reach the outlet, but I'm putting a 12V socket near the TV soon.

If you already have the TV, you might check to see if there's a wall wart on the plug or if the power cord plugs into the back of the TV (the circuitry to change it to 12VDC may be built in the TV). If so, it may be 12V, but double check the input voltage on the back of the TV to be sure. Same goes for the stereo. Could be a lot easier to power them than you think.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
tjb3620fl

3620 fl Alpine lighting

We have a 2014 3620fl and I believe that the lighting is all LED.
tjb3620fl is offline   Reply With Quote