Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
steddiehoward

Idaho Tote & Keystone Warranty

Hello,

I own a 2013 Keystone Alpine. I chose the Alpine for comfort (have to keep the Mrs. happy) rather than get a toy hauler.

On longer trips I still want to haul my HD and triple towing, while legal in many states, is not legal where I will be leaving from nor the state I will end up in. While looking through RV magazines I came across The Idaho Tote which appears on the surface to address transporting my bike quite nicely.

My question then is if any RV-ers on this forum have any experience with Idaho Tote and whether welding the brackets to the frame for the Tote will affect the warranty?

Cheers!
-S
steddiehoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

S -
If you read the warranty it states "damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications, or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the RV....." are not covered by the warranty.

A few other members have made inquiries about the Tote but I don't think they have actually purchased it.

If your warranty still has some time remaining on it and if you are serious about the Tote then you might consider waiting until the warranty has expired before making mods to frame. Another route might be to try contacting Keystone and see if they will authorize this work to be done. If they agree, get their authorization in writing.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Bob Landry

The way the warranty is written, I would think that if the warranty issue was unrelated to something you added, it would be covered. That's the way upfront companies operate. YMMV with Keystone and their customer service people. For instance, I don't see how they could refuse a warranty electrical repair because something was welded to the frame, but stranger things have been known to happen. I would call KS and see what they specifically say about. Don't forget to get a name of the person you talk to. You may need it in court. LOL

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

I looked at those and say it is a nice idea. To be legal in states such as OR where pulling more than 1 trailer are illegal. My thought is to make it part of the 5er you have so you only have 1 trailer and that would be to weld it onto the 5er. Sounds like that is your idea also. There was a law several years ago brought up to allow a 5er and another trailer ie, 2 trailers. It did not get a vote and was shot down. OSP to my knowledge was not against it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote