Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Chinomax

Battery Cut Off Switch

What does the battery cut offswitch turn off? A quick inspection did not indicate anything disabled. What am I missing? Chino
Chinomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
TAZ23

On my Outback the battery cut off switch disables all battery power to the trailer. Lights,fans,awning,slides,water pump, and anything else that runs on 12 volt. If I leave the trailer for 2 weeks and come back the battery is still fully charged.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
webslave

Depends on the trailer and the trailer's options. If, like my 318SAB, you have a remote control, you will probably find that the disconnect switch will disconnect everything except those items controlled by the remote control. The remote's control board is mounted directly to the battery prior to the disconnect switch and everything controlled by the remote is still live even with the switch in the "Off" position. For instance, on my 318SAB, with the switch "Off", my landing gear, all three slides, docking lights and awning all still operate, however, all the inside devices are disabled that are not controlled by the remote. Not a true "disconnect switch", but, it will kill the radio, power to the water heater's control board, power to the refrigerator's control board, etc. eliminating some of the drains on the battery.

A lot of folks will mount a "true" disconnect switch in the battery's cable as it comes off the battery and before the remote's controller board, but, since I have AC power to mine 24/7 (I have an RV hookup at the sticks and bricks) I don't worry about it and if I want to disconnect the power, I just pull the cables off the battery.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
billb800si

On our 2014 321RES Cougar HC with the switch off we still have power to the awning- stabilizers & slides.
Did find out after storage of 3 months with the switch off the battery was still charged. Was at the trailer last weekend and powered the slides in & out.
So it must stop all those low power indicators in the trailer (radio-frig etc..).

Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote