Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #21
goldtrigger

One other thing

Being a bit older, I always advise buyers to look at campers with the slides in and answer two questions-can you get to the bathroom and the fridge with the slides in? As we travel, I have to stop every two hours to pee and the Montana is most convenient. I also like being able to open the fridge when we stop for lunch. If you have to open slides to get to either bathroom or fridge, think about the design before you buy.
goldtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #22
tanglemoose

Interesting comments here, yes have to agree on bathroom. With the 25rdswe you have access to all when stopping BUT you have to open both doors... so a pain, but one I can live with...

On Warranty we have found that IF you are traveling out of our area , a local Keystone dealer would get us fixed and going... but if we bought from other dealer close by to save a few bucks, nope... back of line. For that reason we have bought our last two Cougars close to home... the Key is to USE your rv asap so any warranty issues will show asap.. unfortnately a lot of people buy new Rv, don't use enough to find problems and wham you are not covered.... our Countertop has owie, service gal said so glad you told me and sent pic, it is only covered for 3 months.. makesvsense counters get abused fast..
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #23
MXRacer

We looked extensively for about three months and narrowed it down to a Jayco Eagle, Bullet Premier, and the Cougar. I liked the Bullet nearly as much as the Cougar, but the Cougar had the better floorplan for us and that was the deciding factor.

So we got the 25RDS SWE and are happy with it. The king size bed and larger holding tanks were icing on the cake. We looked at the Turlock dealer with the Bullet but decided it was worth the drive to get the floorplan we wanted in the Cougar 8 hours away. The difference in price was $3k.
MXRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:19 AM   #24
Mr. Light

Thank you for sharing your experience. I decided (a few weeks ago) that the Bullet fit the bill and it was more about the layout than anything else. The Cougar had a few advantages (such as larger capacity tanks) but at the end of the day it didn't have the storage we need as a family of four with two dogs. To get that from Cougar we would have had to go with the 29' Cougar and that's just too big. The 27' Bullet is already bigger than we wanted to go, I just didn't want to spend the money only to realize, a few months later, that we needed a bigger trailer.

I'm happy with the decision, it's a great layout and was always my favorite interior (light and modern). I put down a deposit on one that was already in order at the Turlock dealer. Hopefully it comes in when they say it will, next week!

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences
Mr. Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #25
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Light View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I decided (a few weeks ago) that the Bullet fit the bill and it was more about the layout than anything else. The Cougar had a few advantages (such as larger capacity tanks) but at the end of the day it didn't have the storage we need as a family of four with two dogs. To get that from Cougar we would have had to go with the 29' Cougar and that's just too big. The 27' Bullet is already bigger than we wanted to go, I just didn't want to spend the money only to realize, a few months later, that we needed a bigger trailer.

I'm happy with the decision, it's a great layout and was always my favorite interior (light and modern). I put down a deposit on one that was already in order at the Turlock dealer. Hopefully it comes in when they say it will, next week!

The overall length was also a deciding factor for us. The Bullet floorplan I liked was 29 foot and the Cougar was 25. I have pulled 30+ foot toy haulers and getting in and out of gas stations was a pain for me. I set a limit of 26 foot and ultimately decided the things I liked about the Bullet was outweighed by the length. The 25 is much easier to maneuver!
MXRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #26
AudioRhino

Interesting read on the prior thread comments. We just put a deposit down on a 25DBSWE at a dealer that is 2 hours away. The local dealer here had one, but the cost difference was $7K cheaper by driving 2 hours (New, but older unit that didn't have the price increase of the ones delivered most recently). Just couldn't pass that up. Hoping it doesn't bite me later for any warranty work. We'll pick up next week and put it through it's paces to check.

As for the floorplan debate here - we struggled. A lot. I love the Cougar 29BHSWE, and it has the PERFECT layout for our family, but it's just too long at around 34 feet. Unfortunately, we have a 90 degree hook turn to park the trailer at our house, and that 4 feet is the killer.

Wished that Cougar made a 27' bunkhouse - that would have been the sweet spot. We looked at the 25RDSWE - which was an awesome layout with the big dinette, but ultimately - dogs need a place to stay, and more storage. The 25DBSWE isn't great on storage either, but then again, with the spot under the bunk, we can use that for most everything we need.

I am surprised at how heavy these "half ton" trailers are. Not complaining, but like others have mentioned in the forums - while my 2017 F150 "can" tow up to 9000 lbs, doesn't mean it "should". I think we'll be ok with the firestone airbag kit to level it out. We rented a similar weight/length trailer and the truck hauled it fine, but a little sag in the back.

We'll pick up the unit next week. And will closely look it over for any damage/issues during PDI.
AudioRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #27
Ken / Claudia

The best bet is plan the pickup with the 1st overnighter in the RV near that dealer. By using an RV for the very first time, you will find problems that need fixed and the dealer is still close by to take it back too. It may be difficult to have it at home and say next month when you camp you find that problem not found by the dealer or on your PDI and either take it back on a 4 plus hour trip or get it done locally.
Read through posts on here where people saved money by traveling to buy and after using it made a little or big list of problems they demand to be fixed. Then upset they cannot get work done where they did not buy it. Several 4 hour round trips later they savings was gone.
Really most items are a handy man fix and if your a hands on guy, fixing the little stuff at home is the best answer anyway.
That's about the best thing about this forum, ask a question about how someone fixed or improved a problem with their RV. Many on here have great answers for those questions.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

"[while my 2017 F150 "can" tow up to 9000 lbs, doesn't mean it "should". I think we'll be ok with the firestone airbag kit to level it out. We rented a similar weight/length trailer and the truck hauled it fine, but a little sag in the back.]"

You need a good 4 point sway control weight distributing hitch, especially with a TT that size behind a marginal tow vehichle. Air bags will help with ride but will not be a substitute a WDH WITH 4 POINT SWAY CONTROL. Don’t skimp out on the vital link between truck and trailer that your safety depends upon.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #29
tanglemoose

We had same issue with cost, but was honest with dealer, they came within 500 bucks and we bought it local. Which is good as getting parts in is a nightmare... you might have some trips back n forth just waiting.... but yes camping very close by for a few days is excellent idea. Our warranty was mostly finish work...

As to storage in 25rdswe, I think you will be surprised. I thought the same thing but there is tons of storage, above table is huge, pantry is huge, bathroom shelves are nice, 2 big drawers by table..are nice. We are putting shelves in closet area for clothes, put a bunch of hooks in bedroom to hold coats, and bunch of hooks in bathroom. Hooks in shower to hang towels... have fun, we spent 102 nights in ours after we picked up in January...
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #30
AudioRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglemoose View Post
We had same issue with cost, but was honest with dealer, they came within 500 bucks and we bought it local. Which is good as getting parts in is a nightmare... you might have some trips back n forth just waiting.... but yes camping very close by for a few days is excellent idea. Our warranty was mostly finish work...

As to storage in 25rdswe, I think you will be surprised. I thought the same thing but there is tons of storage, above table is huge, pantry is huge, bathroom shelves are nice, 2 big drawers by table..are nice. We are putting shelves in closet area for clothes, put a bunch of hooks in bedroom to hold coats, and bunch of hooks in bathroom. Hooks in shower to hang towels... have fun, we spent 102 nights in ours after we picked up in January...
Yep - I called the dealer in town and mentioned the competing offer. I would have preferred to buy it here locally, but I was told: "Wow. That's a good price. There's no way we could ever compete with that. It's likely cause it's an older stock unit that landed before the 5-6 price increases that have happened since then." I tried!

Yes, the 25RDSWE is a sweet unit. Love the bathroom and the 2nd door off the master. But with 2 large dogs, their bedding, kids, bikes, etc. - My wife and I decided that would be the floor plan for when we retire. And jumped over on the 25DBSWE instead for now. Bunks will allow for a nice place to store some stuff, and we also get an outdoor kitchen (which we probably won't use much). I think the 25RDSWE is pretty awesome with that moveable table. So much so, that I ordered a collapsible set of table legs to convert the table from the twin posts in the 25DBSWE we are getting.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #31
AudioRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

You need a good 4 point sway control weight distributing hitch, especially with a TT that size behind a marginal tow vehicle. Air bags will help with ride but will not be a substitute a WDH WITH 4 POINT SWAY CONTROL. Don’t skimp out on the vital link between truck and trailer that your safety depends upon.
1000% agree with this. And am rolling with a 4 point WDH. No playing around with safety!
Old 02-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #32
jawsmon

Cougars have always had a very good reputation. I have had several keystone rv's and my current 2019 32RLI cougar half ton is by far the best. Loads of storage, comfortable bed. super spacious. Everything has worked wonderfully. I'm currently 7 weeks into a 2 1/2 month long snowbird trip.
I don't particularly care for the IN-Command system. It has a couple of quirks that defy logic but I'm slowly getting use to it. I like being able to operate the slides and awning with my smart phone. That way I can be outside with my eyes on any obstacles as the slide are extended. I also like the ability of being able to remotely turn on the awning lights when I arrive at the RV after dark. If I had to chose between a Bullet and a Cougar...I definitely would go with the Cougar.
The only thing I might do once I'm home is to add a 2nd AC unit to better handle the SoCal desert heat.
Happy RVing.
If you have the option go with the free standing dinette. If (when) you want to move things around it really simplifies things.
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:30 AM   #33
AudioRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmon View Post
I don't particularly care for the IN-Command system. It has a couple of quirks that defy logic but I'm slowly getting use to it. I like being able to operate the slides and awning with my smart phone. That way I can be outside with my eyes on any obstacles as the slide are extended. I also like the ability of being able to remotely turn on the awning lights when I arrive at the RV after dark.
Happy RVing.
Agree. While it is convenient on some things, it's also a bit quirky. And doesn't seem to work if I am beyond 10 feet of the unit. But is a cool feature when running the slide out remotely while looking at clearance at the campsite. So that's worth it alone, to me.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #34
DonP

Quote:

It's a new trailer, what could possibly go wrong?

I was told that the local dealer could handle the warranty repairs, is that false information? I can imagine that it would put me in the back of the line, behind all the people that bought their TT from this dealer.......
I was told once by a local dealer that "yes" they would work on any warranty repairs if we purchased elsewhere, but we would always be LAST in line.

As for what to buy, it's what YOU want. No one but you can answer that question. It's hard, I look at construction and mechanics my wife looks at decor, kitchen size etc. We just purchased a new Cougar 26RBSWE, we would not have considered the Bullet, but we are "Cougar" people. It wasn't perfect, no trailer has everything you want unless you design it and then build it. So, you find what works best and then you adapt to what doesn't.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #35
jawsmon

Tongue Style Towing set up...Load equalizing hitch- mandatory!!!!
Sway control- mandatory!!!!

Trailer towing safety is no joke. Having a trailer properly orientated to the tow rig is a necessity. Having the load distributed so that the tongue weight is with acceptable limits is also a must. Preventing the trailer/ tow rig from any sway motion is paramount!!!!! If a sway condition is initiated then you only have a couple of seconds to get it under control or a catastrophic wreck will occur. I have personally witnessed this and it's disastrous.

I use the EZ Lift sway bar. It's an add on unit with a adjustable tension screw that clamps 2 brake pads against a flat steel bar. I clamp it down tight and this has eliminated any and all sway condition from occurring. It's one of the best towing features available for any tongue style hitch arrangement. I use this on every trailer I tow including a utility trailer.
This has totally eliminated any loosy-goosy feel from towing. It's a much more relaxing drive when you don't have to worry about getting into a sway condition. This is no joke!!!!

search "EZ Lift sway control" on ebay for image/ price etc.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #36
BubbaShoots

We love everything about our 25RDS. We’ve had it for a year and towed 8,000 miles. It is one of the few major purchases for which we have had no buyers remorse.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #37
jawsmon

Quote:

'You' decide what fits your needs the best for this time in your families life. When needs change then change the RV to fit the new needs. If you're like many of us, this occurs every 4 or 5 years.

I'm happy that you chose the take you family RVing. Making memories when kids are little sticks with them forever. Kudos to you.

Tags
bullet, cougar