Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I installed a disconnect in the lid of the battery box which resides on the tongue right behind the battery. I installed the switch on thw ground cable. No issue with forgetting even with my feebel mind. When getting prepared for departure the last thing I do is disconnect shore power, store the cord, then raise thew tongue jack to hitch height. If the jack don't work then disconnect is on.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I installed a disconnect in the lid of the battery box which resides on the tongue right behind the battery. I installed the switch on thw ground cable. No issue with forgetting even with my feebel mind. When getting prepared for departure the last thing I do is disconnect shore power, store the cord, then raise thew tongue jack to hitch height. If the jack don't work then disconnect is on.

That's the way mine was; if the disconnect was thrown jack no workee....no hitch the trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #23
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
But to totally disconnect ALL parasitic drains you need to disconnect a battery cable, by doing this you disconnect the breakaway power.
Nope, you simply break the positive after the breakaway connection leaving the breakaway switch as the only thing with power. The breakaway won't be a drain on the batteries unless you pull the pin.

If you break the negative, everything including the breakaway will be powerless.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #24
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well if the disconnect is on the negative cable the breakaway will not work as the battery is not grounded, therefore no voltage.

If you really worry about the breakaway, take the positive wire and attach directly to the battery positive post, the breakaway switch is normally open and will NOT create parasitic draw on the battery.
Correct, but if you break the negative, there is no way possible to power the breakaway.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #25
rjniles

I installed a switch like post #2 on the side of my battery box. Switched the positive terminal.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #26
ckittila

Buy Quality Switch

Whatever you do, don’t buy the cheapest switch on eBay for your disconnect. Spend the extra dollars to buy a quality switch or you will get stuck in the future when the cheap internal connections decay. Remember—all circuits on battery use this switch and it needs to be able to hold up.
ckittila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Nope, you simply break the positive after the breakaway connection leaving the breakaway switch as the only thing with power. The breakaway won't be a drain on the batteries unless you pull the pin.

If you break the negative, everything including the breakaway will be powerless.
I'm talking using the disconnect while rv is being stored & breakaway not needed.
Also if I decide to move the rv with the cable removed the jacks won't work, nor the breakaway, til the cable is reconnected.
I talked to fellow rver that said while his rv was in storage with the disconnect off, the breakaway still had power, that some ahole came through the storage pulling the breakaway pins on the majority of the RVs thereby burning up the switches, brake wiring & ruining batteries. With the negative cable removed that can't happen.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #28
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
I normally remove our batteries for the off season and keep them on a Battery Tender, but during other periods of non-use I've been disconnecting the the batteries from the post.
I'd like to add a battery disconnect, since our Passport didn't qualify for such an extravagance.
I've looked at some different types, and some require a hole cut into the chassis to mount the switch, and I won't do that.
What are my options?
If you have the dual posts, screw down type, this works great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MKL2/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_glt_fabc_KE5G8J8JQ9FQN9GNJEZG?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:23 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
If you have the dual posts, screw down type, this works great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MKL2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
The type you selected would require opening the battery box to trun the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MKL2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The one from post #2, that Chuck provided a link to is the same I have, easily remotely mounted, and also easy to see if on or off. My battery box is sealed with about six or so screws.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MARINCO-7...98a2a5054a4ce0
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:59 AM   #30
Diver

On anything I put a switch on I always put it on the Negative cable ...
it will not corrode as a Positive cable will
Old 03-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #31
Bill-2020

Ok. I bought and installed this last year: https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...__Knob_-_Black

The manufacturer's wiring diagram showed connecting to the positive terminal. So I did (it cuts ALL power from the camper except the jack.) So by using the positive terminal, instead of the negative, what kind of a mess have I gotten myself into and is it merely a preference by most or a requirement?
Old 03-28-2021, 03:35 AM   #32
Diver

what kind of a mess have I gotten myself into and is it merely a preference by most or a requirement? [/QUOTE]

wont hurt anything .....
I was just explaining my preference because I i have seen corrosion on switches in truck applications ..where the intent is to totally disconnect power
Old 03-28-2021, 04:37 AM   #33
ChuckS

Personally Battery disconnect switches are just another source of potential problems to induce into the 12 volts system... Id have just remove the negative terminal from battery and brought the battery home and out ion a maintainer...

Yea its a slight pain but the battery will always have a full charge this way.. I cant tell you how many folks I have helped troubleshoot NO 12 volts from battery issue down to a battery disconnect switch...

But.. you've got it installed and Id have installed it on the negative side.. Some passing thru yanks your battery break away cable and you will come back to more than a dead battery

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #34
Diver

.. Id have just remove the negative terminal from battery and brought the battery home and out ion a maintainer...

Yea its a slight pain but the battery will always have a full charge this way.. I cant tell you how many folks I have helped troubleshoot NO 12 volts from battery issue down to a battery disconnect switch...

But.. you've got it installed and Id have installed it on the negative side.. Some passing thru yanks your battery break away cable and you will come back to more than a dead battery[/QUOTE]

I do remove Battery in winter... the disconnect is for when its sitting in the yard and not being used for a few weeks and not plugged in to shore power
Old 04-12-2021, 02:25 AM   #35
Weldon

Its not pretty but its installed with new cables. Had to replace cable going to negative terminal as well because it was too short to reach the disconnect switch. You can't see it, but there is silicone where I drilled the 1" hole for the switch. Had to grind some of the round plastic part of the switch to make it fit with the angles of the box lid.
I sprayed it with black when finished and put the extra cable inside the battery box (forgot to take a pic).

Then I went home and put a bunch of stuff on CL (old WDH, 30 and 50 amp surge protectors, 4 bike bumper rack, curt hitch for the wifes Journey). Within 5 mins, received 4 scam texts. Now I remember why I put off posting on CL. "Can I send you a code to verify that you are a real person?" I received that 3 times from different people with LA area codes...im in GA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210411_115914.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	32939   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210411_120012.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	32940  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #36
Bill-2020

Craigslist is horrible. Once the scammers have their fun the bogus responses tapper off to nearly non-existent. I have a new, in the box, camper cover that was given to us by a neighbor who sold his camper. This cover is too big for ours and I told him I’d sell it and do the work selling it and then split the proceeds with him. It’s been over a year now, one bite of a low ball offer. We’ll hold out for a decent offer.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #37
Jax

I personally like this in place of the "fuseblock" on the frame. Breakaway, hitch are attached directly to the batteries and are not shut off with this.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FD49PB9

Tags
battery