Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2020, 04:39 AM   #1
Jacko

2019 Avalanche 333MK battery disconnect

Having a problem getting batteries charged both the Jack and Slide batteries and the 2 batteries for the fridge inverter. I plugged it in yesterday for 10 hours and got no charge on the fridge batteries. I have the Slide & Jack battery disconnected. I can't seem to figure out which way the DARN Disconnect switch need to be in for charge and then disconnect. The red handle has a small end and a large end. It is so close to the frame that I can't seen to pull it out. So basically I need to know the CORRECT alignment of that darn red handle to charge the batteries and when to disconnect everything when I park it for a few months. Thanks I need to keep the Wife Unit's Ice Cream frozen and MY beer cold on the road trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200202_152701.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	28926  
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The easy way to remember if the battery cutoff switch is OFF or ON:

If you can REMOVE the red "key" the switch is OFF and no power will go to the battery.

If you can NOT REMOVE the red "key", the switch is ON and power is being applied to the battery.

Also remember, that if you're going to check "converter output" at the battery, you MUST disconnect the battery and check the cable ends. If you measure with the cables connected, you'll read the battery voltage, not the converter voltage. Battery voltage could be anywhere from 0VDC (dead battery) to around 12.6 VDC. Converter voltage will be between 13.2- 14.4 VDC

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:05 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

If the red key can be pulled out of the switch it'd off (disconnected), if the key won't pull out it's on (connected). The factory installed switch is a PARTIAL disconnect switch. It does not completely disconnect the batteries. There will still be parasitic drains that will run down the batteries in a week or so.

The only way to totally disconnect the batteries is to physically disconnect the negative battery cable or add a disconnect switch on the negative side between the battery and battery cable.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 AM   #4
Jacko

Thanks guys got it. I will just leave it ON for charging, but unhook that battery.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
bobbecky

Why aren’t all your batteries tied together? Don’t know how your converter can keep all of them charged unless they are connected.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Why aren’t all your batteries tied together? Don’t know how your converter can keep all of them charged unless they are connected.
I'll look at mine this evening, but I suspect that since there is a separate cutoff for each battery there is an isolator for the charging circuit...

Tags
battery