Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
dietzldub

Cougar 366RDS Rear Support

We have a Cougar 366 RDS (rear living room). Our rear stabilizers are right behind the back axle, there is a lot of weight cantilevered over the rear. I’m thinking about putting some manual jacks on the rear to support the rear ended of the trailer. Has anybody else done something like this?

Thank you
Terry
dietzldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Are you getting a lot of movement? I would be cautious about adding something to the rear of the frame that hangs down as it might end up dragging/bending when going up/down a driveway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzldub View Post
We have a Cougar 366 RDS (rear living room). Our rear stabilizers are right behind the back axle, there is a lot of weight cantilevered over the rear. I’m thinking about putting some manual jacks on the rear to support the rear ended of the trailer. Has anybody else done something like this?

Thank you
Terry

Looked at a pic of your camper and the stab jacks are quite a bit forward. Doubt this will cause any issues and not sure how much the trailer will shake when walking through the cabin while the stab jacks are mounted forward. Since these are what are designed for stability, if you needed more, I would level the trailer and use a piece of cribbing and place a bottle jack atop the cribbing and place it towards the center at the rear on a lateral frame member. Might be easier than carrying two jacks and you wouldn't need a heavy duty bottle jack (lighter); I would guess 1 or 2 tons would be sufficient but again, don't think there will be any problems with the stab jacks where they are and don't think adding rearward jacks will hurt anything either.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd start with a "cheap" investment with something like these. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympia.../dp/B000760FWU A pair (all you need) is $21 or you can get 4 for $ 33.

Use two at the extreme rear of the I-beam rails (not on the thin bumper extensions) to "tighten up the rear sway". You can "more easily set them" by leveling your trailer, then using the electric tongue jack to lower the tongue 1", set the rear jacks in place, raise the tongue jack back to level to tighten the screw jacks in place. Easy to do and only 2 extra trips from rear to front of the trailer.

If they work, then start formulating your "permanent solution" which may be as simple as to continue using the screw jacks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCREW JACKS.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	28859  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar