Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Tdesrosiers

Bathroom wipes

Ok, probably an odd topic. Wife and kids use flushable wipes for certain, um, sanitation after using the facilities. These are not good for the rv septic system, they don’t break down, and have already caused an issue for me when dumping the black water tank. We can’t seem to come to an agreement to not use these products. So here’s my question. What do other people use? I cannot find a type wipe that is rv safe, and need to find a solution. Anyone have a recommendation?
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
Ok, probably an odd topic. Wife and kids use flushable wipes for certain, um, sanitation after using the facilities. These are not good for the rv septic system, they don’t break down, and have already caused an issue for me when dumping the black water tank. We can’t seem to come to an agreement to not use these products. So here’s my question. What do other people use? I cannot find a type wipe that is rv safe, and need to find a solution. Anyone have a recommendation?
If the campground has toilets send those wishing to use these wipes to the campground bathroom so they not be used in the camper which is not going to function long with their use.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Although they say "FLUSHABLE" they cause more problems for sewage treatment than anything else. Our CG has it's own treatment plant and every once in a while (maybe twice a month) the pumps get clogged with "FLUSHABLE" wipes. They even cause problems with some city sewer systems. They should say DISPOSABLE instead of FLUSHABLE.
, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

We don’t use them, at home (on-site septic) or on the road. More trouble than they are worth. If they must be used, consider a small waste basket with a foot pedal and lined with a plastic bag. I also suggest making those who choose to utilize them the chosen one(s) to take the trash out.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
We don’t use them, at home (on-site septic) or on the road. More trouble than they are worth. If they must be used, consider a small waste basket with a foot pedal and lined with a plastic bag. I also suggest making those who choose to utilize them the chosen one(s) to take the trash out.

^^^^^This. Those wipes have no business in an RV holding tank. If someone can't do without them they need to do the above or go to the campground toilet.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
tech740

Just use RV toilet paper. Explain the issues with the wipes. Only options are trash can, TP, or bath house

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Trash can for us too.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Northofu1

We use them, we put them in a trash can and empty it as soon as we leave the trailer, if the people next to us are obnoxious and the wind is blowing the right way, we might burn them.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
We use them, we put them in a trash can and empty it as soon as we leave the trailer, if the people next to us are obnoxious and the wind is blowing the right way, we might burn them.
Kind of reminds me of the trips to Mexico with the church youth. Couldn't even flush TP as their sewage plumbing was to small to handle it. The Teenagers had a hard time remembering not to just drop it in and if they forgot they had to be the one to fish it out with a coat hanger, that usually cured the problem for that particular person.
Every night the trash cans were emptied and burned, we kind of stayed upwind from the fire
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:12 AM   #10
JayTees

Ditto on tossing the wipes in the trash can. If it's the only thing they use, will probably need to take out the trash daily. If it's just a final wipe after toilet paper, will probably not cause much odor.

Can let the wife and kids share responsibility for taking it out.

Cheers!

John
JayTees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:23 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

"Flushable wipes" are like "1/2 ton towable", "the check is in the mail", a doctor saying "you're going to feel a little discomfort", and any one who claims " I would never..."".

All statements that should require a disclaimer IMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #12
Tdesrosiers

For those that gave a recommendation, thank you! Given the redeeming qualities of my family, which is to say they put up with me, I am going to try the trash can route.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Although they say "FLUSHABLE" they cause more problems for sewage treatment than anything else. Our CG has it's own treatment plant and every once in a while (maybe twice a month) the pumps get clogged with "FLUSHABLE" wipes. They even cause problems with some city sewer systems. They should say DISPOSABLE instead of FLUSHABLE.
, Hank
Not sure wipes are the worst you can do to any sewer/septic.... how about those baby diapers? Thank goodness my wife let's me put my used Depends in a plastic bag and carry it to a CG dumpster...
Old 06-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
notanlines

Tom, after your statement "Given the redeeming qualities of my family" I believe you might post a few redeeming qualities of those family members who refuse to follow the toilet rules.
I simply cannot tell you the wrath that my wife would release on a member who chose to ignore our rules of 'nothing but waste and TP in the black tank' were ignored. The arrogance shown by your family members absolutely boggles the mind!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
Tdesrosiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Tom, after your statement "Given the redeeming qualities of my family" I believe you might post a few redeeming qualities of those family members who refuse to follow the toilet rules.
I simply cannot tell you the wrath that my wife would release on a member who chose to ignore our rules of 'nothing but waste and TP in the black tank' were ignored. The arrogance shown by your family members absolutely boggles the mind!
No no, the point is to simply see if there is an alternative out there. Definitely no arrogance on the part of my family. I should have been more specific in my original post, that I’m simply looking to see if other families encountered a similar need and found a solution they could share!
Old 06-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
CinNC

Install a bidet. It will fit on a Dometic model 310 toilet.
CinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Potty training is, like reading. Its fun.....damental! LOL

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinNC View Post
Install a bidet. It will fit on a Dometic model 310 toilet.
Then all you'll need is a mop next the toilet when the kids start showering over the toilet.
Have the DW &/or kids deal with the clogs a couple times & and they may stop using them.
They can flush as much 2 ply "septic safe" tp, RV specific tp not necessary, down the toilet as necessary as long as they use plenty of water, but nothing else.
NO WAY would there be a bucket for used tp in our rv, the wipes maybe if they are absolutely necessary, but tp gets flushed........we ain't in Mexico.
Fulltimed for 10 years & never had an issue using whatever tp the DW likes being flushed in a rv toilet.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Potty training is, like reading. Its fun.....damental! LOL
Are you volunteering to come help me get away from my Depends? Remember the movie "Coming to America"? WIPER!
Old 06-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #20
notanlines

Tom, I think it is the "We can’t seem to come to an agreement to not use these products" that threw me. Thanks for the clarification! We use a small trash can next to the commode for the wipes. One bag a day does the trick.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote