Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #1
rogerinamarillo

Avalanche inverter use

Hello all, I have a 2021 Avalanche 312RS with a residential refrigerator, dual batteries and an inverter. The inverter is kind of hidden away in the front storage area above the hydraulic pump. My question is how is the inverter to be used? I switch it on (it has a button on it's face) while towing or when I'm parked with no shore power. When I have shore power I turn the inverter off. Am I using my equipment properly?
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
nutatrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinamarillo View Post
Hello all, I have a 2021 Avalanche 312RS with a residential refrigerator, dual batteries and an inverter. The inverter is kind of hidden away in the front storage area above the hydraulic pump. My question is how is the inverter to be used? I switch it on (it has a button on it's face) while towing or when I'm parked with no shore power. When I have shore power I turn the inverter off. Am I using my equipment properly?
You only need to turn the inverter on when you are off ground power. Normally when you are traveling. You should turn it off when you are reattached to ground power when you stop. Do not keep the inverter on when attached to ground power. I burnt up a $500 inverter keeping it on all the time.
nutatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:47 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The inverter transfer switch switches between your battery power and incoming AC power (commercial power). I leave mine on nearly all the time when plugged in. If on commercial park power your inverter is sitting there on standby if turned on. If you lose commercial power and your inverter is on it will transfer over to the batteries and convert to an AC output to power whatever has been wired to it. It needs to be on traveling (particularly with a res fridge) because you don't have commercial power and it allows you to use your batteries to provide AC power to the fridge. If it is off the fridge is not powered.

So in answer to your question, I leave mine on when I am using the trailer whether it's for a weekend or a 6mo stay. I turn it off as soon as I decide to put the trailer away for however long.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:20 PM   #4
rogerinamarillo

Thanks for the input, it looks like I'm using my inverter correctly.
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:26 PM   #5
Daget24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinamarillo View Post
What all does the inverter power? Does it power just the refrigerator? Or does it do other outlets as well?
Daget24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:05 AM   #6
MandK

The purpose of the inverter is to power your residential fridge when there is no shore power, whether that’s when your towing, boondocking or if the shore power goes out unexpectedly.
It can’t do the later if it’s not turned on all of the time you want your fridge to be working. If it was meant to be turned on and off manually, they wouldn’t put automatic transfer switches on them. Mine’s on 24/7 until it goes into storage.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:09 AM   #7
Daget24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
The purpose of the inverter is to power your residential fridge when there is no shore power, whether that’s when your towing, boondocking or if the shore power goes out unexpectedly.
It can’t do the later if it’s not turned on all of the time you want your fridge to be working. If it was meant to be turned on and off manually, they wouldn’t put automatic transfer switches on them. Mine’s on 24/7 until it goes into storage.
Okay thanks, so it just does the fridge and nothing else. I’m going to install a 2kw inverter with an automatic transfer switch so that the he whole coach gets power via the inverter. I was hoping the inverter did more than just the fridge.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:14 AM   #8
MandK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daget24 View Post
Okay thanks, so it just does the fridge and nothing else. I’m going to install a 2kw inverter with an automatic transfer switch so that the he whole coach gets power via the inverter. I was hoping the inverter did more than just the fridge.
Different models and years are different in what’s powered. I don’t know what model you have or what yours powers.
My particular trailer has 5 inverted outlets throughout the trailer, one of them being the one that the fridge plugs into.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:19 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
If your trailer has 50A service, then it will have 2 legs of AC current. Most inverters I have seen that size only have 1 leg of output. You may have to rethink your inverter size or be ok with only powering 1/2 of the unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:19 AM   #10
Daget24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandK View Post
Different models and years are different in what’s powered. I don’t know what model you have or what yours powers.
My particular trailer has 5 inverted outlets throughout the trailer, one of them being the one that the fridge plugs into.
It’s a 2021 avalanche 312rs. What’s yours?
Old 02-27-2024, 05:24 AM   #11
MandK

Quote:
It’s a 2021 avalanche 312rs. What’s yours?
It’s a ‘21 Montana 3121rl. I’ve just noticed these are your first posts, welcome to the forum! If you add that information to your signature, folks with the same unit are more apt to reply to your questions giving you the best answers.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:03 AM   #12
Daget24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your trailer has 50A service, then it will have 2 legs of AC current. Most inverters I have seen that size only have 1 leg of output. You may have to rethink your inverter size or be ok with only powering 1/2 of the unit.
Yes but isn’t that the case whenever you’re connected to 30amp shore power? The distribution panel should be able to handle the varying voltages as it already does. For instance, if I ran the rig off of a 110v generator, everything would still get power. One of the legs going into the automatic transfer switch would just be empty as I would be missing a hot.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:15 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

If you’re using a 50-30A adapter, both legs are powered by the wiring in the dog bone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:28 AM   #14
GlasNav

Quote:
If you’re using a 50-30A adapter, both legs are powered by the wiring in the dog bone.
To add to what chuckster57 posted, even a 20 amp adapter supplies voltage to both legs.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:46 AM   #15
Daget24

Quote:
Ah I see, I can jumper one of the hot legs then, I’m sure that’s what’s happening inside of those adapters. Y’all think I need a good surge protector? You guys use one?
Old 02-27-2024, 07:53 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yes but isn’t that the case whenever you’re connected to 30amp shore power? The distribution panel should be able to handle the varying voltages as it already does. For instance, if I ran the rig off of a 110v generator, everything would still get power. One of the legs going into the automatic transfer switch would just be empty as I would be missing a hot.
The inverter output is wired so it does not go through the trailer circuit breaker system "shore power input". That is the way the factory "isolates" the converter/charger from being powered on and recharging the battery as the inverter discharges the battery to supply the "simulated shore power input"...

Shore power and inverter power are NOT the same and are NOT wired the same.

A couple of things you need to verify BEFORE buying any inverter to power your trailer "inverted outlet system"...

1. VERIFY the size of the ROMEX in the inverter loop where you will cut the ROMEX to install the "auto transfer inverter". If the loop ROMEX is 14 gauge (usually white ROMEX) then the maximum amperage is 15 amps (1800 watts @ 120VAC). If the loop ROMEX is 12 gauge (usually yellow ROMEX) then the maximum amperage is 20 amps (2400 watts).

2. Once you have verified the maximum wattage of the inverter loop ROMEX, you can determine the maximum wattage for the inverter you plan to install. Essentially, if the ROMEX is 14 gauge, then a 1500 watt inverter is the typical inverter size. If the ROMEX is 12 gauge, then a 2000 watt inverter is the typical size.

3. While many people "shrug off the maximum inverter size" believing that it's "only a couple hundred watts so what's the harm".... If your intention is to use the inverter system to "dry camp" or "boondock", then realize that over powering the 14 gauge ROMEX when the location it will be used is "miles from any fire department or emergency services" then just think about the implications of what you install....

4. Essentially, installing a "too powerful inverter on a too small ROMEX" is the same as the old "put a penny behind the fuse and it won't blow any more".... or "Just put a piece of wire in place of the fuse and your radio will work until you find a replacement fuse"....

There's more to determining the appropriate inverter size for the wiring than just thinking, "I power my RV with a 2000 watt generator, so I can install a 2000 watt inverter and eliminate the generator noise".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:54 AM   #17
GlasNav

Quote:
Ah I see, I can jumper one of the hot legs then, I’m sure that’s what’s happening inside of those adapters. Y’all think I need a good surge protector? You guys use one?
This is the one I hardwired into the shore power feed.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo-h/

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:08 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

I have this one in 30A with remote display.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

Old 03-04-2024, 07:52 PM   #19
Daget24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The inverter output is wired so it does not go through the trailer circuit breaker system "shore power input". That is the way the factory "isolates" the converter/charger from being powered on and recharging the battery as the inverter discharges the battery to supply the "simulated shore power input"...

Shore power and inverter power are NOT the same and are NOT wired the same.

A couple of things you need to verify BEFORE buying any inverter to power your trailer "inverted outlet system"...

1. VERIFY the size of the ROMEX in the inverter loop where you will cut the ROMEX to install the "auto transfer inverter". If the loop ROMEX is 14 gauge (usually white ROMEX) then the maximum amperage is 15 amps (1800 watts @ 120VAC). If the loop ROMEX is 12 gauge (usually yellow ROMEX) then the maximum amperage is 20 amps (2400 watts).

2. Once you have verified the maximum wattage of the inverter loop ROMEX, you can determine the maximum wattage for the inverter you plan to install. Essentially, if the ROMEX is 14 gauge, then a 1500 watt inverter is the typical inverter size. If the ROMEX is 12 gauge, then a 2000 watt inverter is the typical size.

3. While many people "shrug off the maximum inverter size" believing that it's "only a couple hundred watts so what's the harm".... If your intention is to use the inverter system to "dry camp" or "boondock", then realize that over powering the 14 gauge ROMEX when the location it will be used is "miles from any fire department or emergency services" then just think about the implications of what you install....

4. Essentially, installing a "too powerful inverter on a too small ROMEX" is the same as the old "put a penny behind the fuse and it won't blow any more".... or "Just put a piece of wire in place of the fuse and your radio will work until you find a replacement fuse"....

There's more to determining the appropriate inverter size for the wiring than just thinking, "I power my RV with a 2000 watt generator, so I can install a 2000 watt inverter and eliminate the generator noise".....

This is a very thorough write up and does a very good job ax explaining a complex subject. I was not intending to use the pre wired inverter system and the transfer switch that it uses, unless that’s easier?

I have installed transfer switches before, factoring in the converter, insuring that it only comes on when on shore power. My goal was to have the entire coach powered via the inverter, which is something that I have done before. Maybe I’ll just put a generator up front and weld a fuel cell to the frame of this thing, that way the inverter can do its thing when needed, and the generator can kick on and feed the whole coach just as a shore power would.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:30 AM   #20
jxnbbl

Quote:
This is a very thorough write up and does a very good job ax explaining a complex subject. I was not intending to use the pre wired inverter system and the transfer switch that it uses, unless that’s easier?

I have installed transfer switches before, factoring in the converter, insuring that it only comes on when on shore power. My goal was to have the entire coach powered via the inverter, which is something that I have done before. Maybe I’ll just put a generator up front and weld a fuel cell to the frame of this thing, that way the inverter can do its thing when needed, and the generator can kick on and feed the whole coach just as a shore power would.

If I read this correctly you want to put a transfer switch in so you have only shore power or the inverter powering everything in the trailer. That wiring is not "difficult" to get it to work but I would not "I can jumper one of the hot legs then..." (if I read this correctly it is 50A service) If that is jumping between one bar to another or even powering the output of both legs at the transfer switch if the "input leg" isn't powered. Its just dangerous.

The dogbone 'acts' not only distributes 30A/20A/15A across the two inputs of a 50A trailer but think of the use of the dogbone and the person plugging in the cord as the transfer switch. The jumpering would not work if you, for instance plugged into a faulty 50A service at a CG, with one leg dead the transfer switch would power energize the circuits with the inverter power at the same time as the CG power source with your jumper across the circuits.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter