Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2023, 02:22 PM   #1
martybmw

New Inverter Question

I have a 21 Alpine 3700FL and I got a bit ahead of my schedule. It has a 3000 watt inverter (don't remember the brand) with a bit over 1000 watts coming from the solar panels. It is parked in the desert full time and just about finished with the 24' by 50" cover. Since the solar panels are on the roof of the 5th wheel they won't get any sun and concerned about my 6 AGM batteries draining before I build a new solar wall for the solar panels. With everything tuned off include the master for the 12 volt the only power drain would be from the inverter and since the microwave is hard wired to it just the power to the panel is being used. My question is can I just turn off the inverter so their is no drain on the batteries? I don't recall seeing an on/off switch for the inverter and is their any downside to turning the inverter on and off?
thanks
martybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven’t seen any 3K inverters that don’t have an on/off switch. If your goal is to eliminate any battery draw, turning it off will help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:35 PM   #3
cougar23

Have 3 2000 watt inverters and all have a on/off switch. Just turning off the inverter will not prevent battery drain since there are usually some incidental things that will draw 12 volts. Could always disconnect batteries.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 01:47 PM   #4
martybmw

Thanks now just need to find the on/off switch on the inverter and I have master turn off for the 12 Volts so hopefully my drain will be very slight.
martybmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter