Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #41
Patrick C

http://www.new-cars.com/2012/ford/specs/super-duty.html
Patrick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:01 AM   #42
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
And this is where the OP went wrong!
The header on the column states MAXIMUM meaning the most you can have for the stripper version of that configuration with a GAS engine. The diesel is a bit (close to 1,000#) heavier than a gas engine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:06 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a note in the Ford payload charts that said something like this:

Data reflects a properly equipped base model vehicle...

The 2013 Ford Towing Brochure has these footnotes on the SuperDuty chart:
• Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10-15% (15-25% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Advertising is just that: ADVERTISING... The best, the most efficient, the fastest, the most popular, the biggest, the greatest, the only one in its class are all "famous marketing phrases"... Add to that, "half ton towable" and don't forget to read the footnote: "by properly equipped half ton vehicles"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #44
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
As stated that yellow sticker is Gospel. However there are hundreds of thousands of folks out there Towing very large heavy campers with 3/4 ton trucks everyday. Every single one of them is more than likely overweight. Don't be that person get the correct truck or tow a lighter camper.

In my humble opinion and F250 of any year or any brand has no business towing anything that weighs more than 10,000 pounds loaded or so.
This can also be said about the 3500's in any line. Anyone pulling a 40ft'r with a close to optioned out 3500 is most likely over payload cap or very close to it and should be in a 4500. This is a legally of course. Most 3/4 and 1 tons can handle more than their stated payload weight.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 AM   #45
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
This can also be said about the 3500's in any line. Anyone pulling a 40ft'r with a close to optioned out 3500 is most likely over payload cap or very close to it and should be in a 4500. This is a legally of course. Most 3/4 and 1 tons can handle more than their stated payload weight.
The line about should in a 4500 is false. They should be in a Dual Rear Wheel(DRW) 3500 is most likely true. An optioned out Single Rear Wheel(SRW) is likely at or over capacity yes.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #46
Javi

Quote:
F350 Dually and F450 have the same 14,000 GVWR
Old 09-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #47
Ribtip

So you would get more payload out of a 350 then correct.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #48
tech740

Quote:
So you would get more payload out of a 350 then correct.
You can. Yes. Again it is an option thing

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #49
travelin texans

[QUOTE=Ribtip;412155 This is a legally of course. Most 3/4 and 1 tons can handle more than their stated payload weight.[/QUOTE]
The 1st sentence of your quote here is why you don't haul overweight.
And to state on an open forum where those that don't know are asking advice that any truck can tow more than any of the posted numbers on any given truck is VERY poor advice. ALL NEWBIES/TRUCK SHOPPERS DISREGARD THIS ADVICE!!
If you want to do so by all means do so, but try your best to stay as far away from others on the highway as possible so when things go south you're the only one affected.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #50
Ribtip

I NEVER said anywhere in my reply to tow over weight. I did not give the op the advise to pull his trailer with a 1500. Nor do i Condone it. Sorry you took that the wrong way.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #51
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I NEVER said anywhere in my reply to tow over weight. I did not give the op the advise to pull his trailer with a 1500. Nor do i Condone it. Sorry you took that the wrong way.

Ribtip this is your quote; "This is a legally of course. Most 3/4 and 1 tons can handle more than their stated payload weight."

As was pointed out this is a misleading, unneeded comment and I'm sure you meant nothing by it. Hopefully any 3/4 or 1 ton can handle more than their stated payload, if not danger/death is imminent. That is WHY those numbers are there - DO NOT EXCEED...to keep you/us safe. Heck, I saw a Yugo?? (something) pull the space shuttle. Yep, it made it go but could it "handle" it...I think not. Things to keep in mind when strapping a "really fun RV" on the back of an ill equipped truck that can be your "quick exit from earth".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:03 AM   #52
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ribtip this is your quote; "This is a legally of course. Most 3/4 and 1 tons can handle more than their stated payload weight."

As was pointed out this is a misleading, unneeded comment and I'm sure you meant nothing by it. Hopefully any 3/4 or 1 ton can handle more than their stated payload, if not danger/death is imminent. That is WHY those numbers are there - DO NOT EXCEED...to keep you/us safe. Heck, I saw a Yugo?? (something) pull the space shuttle. Yep, it made it go but could it "handle" it...I think not. Things to keep in mind when strapping a "really fun RV" on the back of an ill equipped truck that can be your "quick exit from earth".
Sourdough i see where i said or typed that statement. That could of been said different now that i read it. But know where did i give advise to tow over weight and never would.my statement was more of a trucks are build better then they used to be..
Old 09-22-2020, 04:46 AM   #53
flybouy
Site Team

When writing it's difficult to convey inflection in voice therefore written words are often interpreted differently than it was intended. Reading that statement I would take as you're endorsing towing over the max set by the factory.

Here's the thing, I've seen this discussed at length but one question is never answered. If that yellow sticker is BS, just a legality, or whatever other excuse is given, THEN WHAT IS THE WEIGHT LIMIT? Ah see, when that sticker is ignored one will say it can hold another thousand pounds! That will be the guy who knows he's 1k overweight. And so it goes.

So here's the bottom line, regardless of anyone's personal OPINION on the limit that sticker imposes it is a limit. Period. If you're unfortunate enough to be towing over and get into an accident you most likely will find yourself without insurance afterwards or paying a greatly increased rate as you will be a "high risk". No different than a drunk driver if you knowingly tow over the truck's limits.

When you get deposed by the lawyers they will ask if you knew you were over the limit. A yes answer will start a line of questions about why you CHOSE to do that. Then what qualifies you to do that? Along with you're background, education, experience, DOCUMENTATION and no, something on YouTube or FB ain't gonna cut it. In court, those lawyers are going to take that info and tell the jury that "Mr X decided that despite his lack of education, experience, etc, he TOOK IT UPON HIMSELF to IGNOR the FEDERALLY MANDATED weight limits that were derived from the truck company through their exhaustive testing by a building full of engineers with masters and doctoral degrees in several different discipline.

And yes, they will ask about social media. They will know, you can lie, then in court there will be the "in deposition Mr. X denied prior knowledge of being over limit but here's copies of his social media postings stating that he did". Next question... If you KNEW this was overweight, that why did you take such a terrible risk and kill or injure my client. The 3/4 & 1 ton trucks are the same argument ain't gonna cut it either.

So for me, I wouldn't risk the safety of my family or your family because I wouldn't or couldn't afford a properly equipped truck to tow a camper. No one should need further reasoning than that but if anyone is that reckless with life then I guess you'll be just as reckless with your your possessions and future income to risk that to.

If I'm going to load up a 3/4 ton truck like a 1 ton there had better be certification from the mfg that states .."if used as a commercial vehicle then max is xxx and if registered as personal use it's rated as yyy". I don't see anywhere where the mfg states the weight rating is xxx but hey, wink, wink, it's really yyy because that xxx is only to save you money on your tags and insurance. Does anyone other than me see how illogical all that is?

Now I know someone will say "but back in the day the "big 3" underrated the hp because of insurance rates. Here's the difference, first it didn't affect the functional safety of the vehichle and it was easily verifiable with a dyno test. How do you verify the truck can SAFELY carry more weight?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #54
Ribtip

Op the main take away for you should be know your trucks weight and capacities. Know what your trailer weighs. Do your math on pin weight. Stay within the law and your trucks caps and never ever pull overweight😁 . I never thought you had a problem figuring that out just the crappy way they throw out max caps on rigs. Happy towing and be safe. Sorry if you took anything i posted like some others have. Have fun
Old 09-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #55
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet_Vet View Post
Thank you John, Jim, Marshall, and others that replied.

So, I went to the scales today with just my truck, filled with diesel, a full tool box in the back, my 200 lbs self, and other miscellaneous crap that we all seem to accumulate. GVW on my truck is 10,000 lbs.

Here are the numbers:
FRONT AXLE - 4780
REAR AXLE - 3260
DW and GENERATOR WEIGHT - 200 POUNDS
TOTAL TRUCK WEIGHT - 8240

So that leaves me with 1760 pounds. Pin weight on 5er is 1430 pounds. If I am correct, that means I am cutting it close, but still a tad under the limits.
Well you will be close! You will need to travel light both the TV and 5er and watch pin weight carefully.
When you can step up to a 350/3500 do it for the added capacity.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, ford, fuse, tow, towing