Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 06:21 AM   #1
Laredo Tugger

Close call.....

Hooked up the 5er this morning to roll about an hour away for service at the dealer. When I got the trailer rolled off of the grass at the storage yard and on to the pavement I went to check and air up the trailer tires. As I started to air the first tire, it developed a blister on the side wall near the aluminum rim. Needles to say I had to cancel the service appointment and pursue new tires.
A local Walmart Auto Center has these tires available.

Goodyear Endurance Trailer Tire ST235/80R16 LRE BSW 3420 Lb. 80PSI OD-30.79

This brand seems to get a lot of approval on this forum. They are the correct size for my 5er, but other info "LRE BSW 3420 Lb. OD 30.79" I only understand part of. The weight rating (3420) and the "OD" I think is outside diameter.

They sell these tires in a 2 pak configuration and a set of four would be around $750 before tax, and mounting. I knew this day was coming so I am not afraid to spend a little more money for quality tires.

Is this a good (and correct) investment?
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
tech740

From what I understand in reviews yes that is a good fit. Looks like you have a 13,000lb trailer so those should support the load with just over a 20% reserve. I liked having E rated tires on my last rig very easy to find.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Keystone has always had a problem with your tire size (ST235/80R16 LRE) because they are manufactured with three different load capacities; 3420#, 3500# and 3520#, all at 80 PSI.

Most of the Keystone OEM tire providers provide the 3520# tires. If Keystone didn’t document your tires as 3520# tires, the FMVSS says they default to 3420#. If Keystone did document them as being 3520# tires, the 3420# do not qualify as replacements because of lower load capacities.

Only Keystone can answer any disputes on that matter. It's just a pen and ink change for them. That's probably why they don't worry about it.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
travelin texans

Walmart also carries Carlisle tires, don't know if they're available in your size, that also are a good choice & likely half price of the GYs. Sailuns if available are also a good choice. Might go up to an F rating if available.
Not recommending any brand/size/rating or suggesting that you cheap out on tires, just offering choices from my experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Javi

I've run both the Carlisle and the GoodYear Endurance... If given a choice I'd stay with the Carlisle... I think for me they were a better tire.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Laredo Tugger

tech740, CWtheMan, travelin texans, and Javi,
Thank you for your responses and wisdom. Lot's of that on this forum and appreciated.
Yes the OEM tires are being replaced (Providers) and they have a 3520 lb. rating. One tire I took off today (drivers side rear) looked like it had an oblong wear pattern on the inside tread. Any ideas on the cause? I did not see any wheel weights on that particular aluminum wheel. I'm pretty sure they use them on the inside of the wheels. Could that be the problem?
I am about to start shopping for a new set of four and am considering a fifth (no not that kind of fifth) to put on as a spare and rotate on occasion into the inventory.
The Carlisle brand will be my starting point and I will be looking to upgrade the load range from E to F if possible.
Thanks again
RMc
Old 09-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

What is this animal?

https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_deta...caAmyjEALw_wcB

Am I reading the info correct, 4400 lbs. load capacity per tire?
I would think these things are so heavy that my bearings would give way a lot sooner than normal.
I found the Carlisle website. The same size tire comes in E, E R85 and F R85. To get the F I would have to go from R80 to R85, is that a problem? The F tire is 7Lbs. heavier per tire and one inch taller. I know I have room for larger tires, but should I?

RMc
Old 09-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
What is this animal?

I would think these things are so heavy that my bearings would give way a lot sooner than normal.
None of the websites have the speed ratings posted.
RMc
That's the tire I'm going to use on my Avalanche but I have wheels rated for 110 psi and I doubt that yours are... That's what I ran into on my previous trailer it had the "E" rated tires and the wheels weren't rated above the 80 psi..

BTW.. that tire is speed rated to 81 mph.. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
Old 09-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Laredo I'm not sure where a 17 model falls within the revised RVIA tire recommendations; thinking it was around that time.

Here's my thinking and how I would approach your situation; trailer gvw is 13k. For me I want my tires to support a minimum of 10% above that and preferably 15%. The LRE will not provide either. I would definitely recommend the LRF for sure if your wheels are rated for them (95psi if I remember).

Carlisle vs Goodyear Endurance. IMO we're getting close (maybe next year) to where I feel there are enough of those out to give a bit of a picture on what kind of performance/failures they provide. If they have as good a record as the Carlisle then IMO I have to ask myself if they both provide the same service do I want to pay bigger $$ for the Goodyear and why?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Laredo I'm not sure where a 17 model falls within the revised RVIA tire recommendations; thinking it was around that time.

Here's my thinking and how I would approach your situation; trailer gvw is 13k. For me I want my tires to support a minimum of 10% above that and preferably 15%. The LRE will not provide either. I would definitely recommend the LRF for sure if your wheels are rated for them (95psi if I remember).

Carlisle vs Goodyear Endurance. IMO we're getting close (maybe next year) to where I feel there are enough of those out to give a bit of a picture on what kind of performance/failures they provide. If they have as good a record as the Carlisle then IMO I have to ask myself if they both provide the same service do I want to pay bigger $$ for the Goodyear and why?
This depends how you do the math. The tires will never support the hitch weight. So at 20% hitch weight that is 10,400 supported by the tires. That is, if all thins are equal, 2,600lbs per tire. A tire rated at 3400lbs per tire has a 23% safety margin.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Laredo Tugger

I have numbers and letters stamped inside of every spoke (8) on the wheels.
I am not sure what they all mean. Somewhere in the mix I am sure the PSI rating is coded. 95? I doubt it.
I think the Carlisle's I will go with will be the 6HO4631. It is the same tire that is on the trailer now, identical weight, size, speed rating and load rating (E).
They are available at Walmart which will serve me well on the road if needed.
Don't think I can go wrong with this swap.
Welcome Danny and thanks.
RMc
Old 09-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
What is this animal?

I found the Carlisle website. The same size tire comes in E, E R85 and F R85. To get the F I would have to go from R80 to R85, is that a problem? The F tire is 7Lbs. heavier per tire and one inch taller. I know I have room for larger tires, but should I?

RMc
Carlisle has had the CSL tires on the market for about 2-3 years. They have recently added a 15" LRF steel cased tire to their list. When Sailun got the 16" steel cased tires on the market most all of the larger ST tire builders followed suit.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...129G/150613806

G rated Carlisle at wallys: have not knowledge of these tires.

I use Carlisle Radial Trail HD in 15" (LRE). Noted Wallys sells the Carlisle Ultra CRT line at Wallys but on Amazon these tire are being sold as Carlstar brand. Confuses me a bit and not sure if the cheaper CRT line is the same quality as the traditional Carlisle branded tires; the Calstart are about 25 percent less per tire.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
This depends how you do the math. The tires will never support the hitch weight. So at 20% hitch weight that is 10,400 supported by the tires. That is, if all thins are equal, 2,600lbs per tire. A tire rated at 3400lbs per tire has a 23% safety margin.

Red above - therein lies the problem. The weight, no matter what you do, is never going to be equally distributed in the first place. Secondly, the pin weight is not always going to be in the truck as that assumes. Every time you hit a pitch in the road when the tail of the truck is up along with the nose of the trailer, much of the weight that was on the pin has now shifted back. If you are running tires only capable of supporting the trailer with no pin weight - you are in trouble. If you are running tires that only support the weight of the trailer (minus pin) you are in trouble. If you run a tire that supports the weight of the trailer (minus pin) in this case with a 23% margin (3400) lbs. and you have the nose of the trailer up for whatever reason that 3400 lbs. will be a problem. Figure the trailer was at 13k gvw. That is 3250 per tire equally loaded. Suppose that trailer now, for whatever reason, is pitched repeatedly going over say.....the interstates in LA, those rear tires are going to have well over 3250 hit them over and over as the trailer jumps all over - along with potholes, ridges etc. At that point the 3400 will be taxed IMO.

The above is why I buy tires like I do. In addition, and the reason I made one of my original observations - I'm wondering about the axle ratings on Laredo's trailer. RVIA recommends tires that give a 10% cushion over the gawr. This one seems awfully close and why I was wondering if it was built prior to the RVIA standard.

As far as tires never supporting the hitch weight I am assuming the entire weight of the trailer. My trailer gvwr is 14, 400. My tires are rated at 4080 each = 16,320.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #15
Javi

You know, on a lot of these trailers the tires aren't the real weak link... instead it is the axles..

My last trailer was 12,500 GVWR but had 5200 pound axles.. the tires were actually better matched to the weight than the axles..
Old 09-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I remember your axle issue. I'm assuming the new Alpine had a better margin.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I remember your axle issue. I'm assuming the new Alpine had a better margin.
7,000 pound axles to 15K GVWR... so yes much better
Old 09-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #18
Laredo Tugger

OK,
Got the new Carlisle's mounted on the 5er with a brake inspection/service (estimate about half of the shoe material is worn) and I checked that the magnets were activating, greased the suspension zerts, and repacked all the bearings. Also put new seals in each drum.
Got into the project and discovered no "castle nut" with a cotter pins, instead a regular nut with a brass clip that fits into the axle offset (where the flat side of the "D" washer goes) and clips over the nut to lock it. Only question I have, when I went to tighten the nut it stopped with no more travel. The wheel (had the wheel and tire mounted) still spun with no noticeable resistance. I noticed from this position if I backed the nut off a bit, there was some "play" in the hub so I tightened the nut to eliminate any ability for the hub to rattle, backed off a bit and then set the clip. Correct procedure for this set up?
Just happy to get the underside "inventory" of the trailer all up to date and maintained.
Thanks
RMc
Old 09-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #19
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I've run both the Carlisle and the GoodYear Endurance... If given a choice I'd stay with the Carlisle... I think for me they were a better tire.
I had great luck with Carlisle for many years. Both E and F rated. No experience with Endurance. After the last fiasco with GY trailer tires I’d not trust them again. Then I’d question why anyone would go with any 16” tire other than Sailun. Best tire and a lower cost.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote