Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2022, 07:30 AM   #1
JOglesby

Trailer weight

I am looking for an accurate way to weigh my trailer without breaking the bank. I know CAT scales are abundant and affordable but really are limited for travel trailers and us overthinkers. What I would really like to know is how much each tire is actually carrying so I can size and inflate my tires correctly. Also what is the actual tongue weight is. I don't want to invest hundreds if not thousands of dollars to weigh my trailer like 1 or 2 times. Can you rent something like this> Is there a place I can take it?
Old 06-23-2022, 07:39 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOglesby View Post
I am looking for an accurate way to weigh my trailer without breaking the bank. I know CAT scales are abundant and affordable but really are limited for travel trailers and us overthinkers. What I would really like to know is how much each tire is actually carrying so I can size and inflate my tires correctly. Also what is the actual tongue weight is. I don't want to invest hundreds if not thousands of dollars to weigh my trailer like 1 or 2 times. Can you rent something like this> Is there a place I can take it?
First off you can get the tongue weight on a Cat scale. Go to Catscale.com, they explain it. There's really no need to individualy weight each tire on a trailer or adjust air pressure. The trailer has a placard with the tire size and min inflation. If you go up a load range then you can increase that pressure up to the max psi on the tire sidewall.

If you're OCD about the issue then you will spend a lot of energy and possibly money with no benefit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
JOglesby

I know with the proximity of the tires if I weight the trailer hooked up and divide that weight by 4 it will be close enough. But the engineer in me wants to know it all. This would also help me pack as weight distribution is key. A balanced load is a safer load.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
if you'd go to the top of the page to "user CP" drop down to "edit signature" add your year, make, model of rv & tow vehicle then drop to the bottom to "save changes" this would be on each post you make & make it easier to give pertinent answers to your questions.
As for tire inflations there's 2 spots listed on your rv for that answer, #1 the tire sidewall list pressure for their max load rating, #2 the placard on the right front corner of your rv list tire sizes & inflations. I'd recommend using the tire sidewall (that's what I've used for the last 40+ years without tire issues) & not be concerned with the actual weight. I'm certain you'd never notice any difference the 5-10 PSI would make in the trailer ride, but the tire itself may.
That manufacturer tag on the right front corner also has the GVWR for THAT rv which if you're like the majority of rvers on the road you WILL be at, very near or over that weight sooner than later so inflate the tires for that max weight & don't worry about every pound you add to the rv.
As for scales you can get the weights you need using Cat scales for about $12-15 for a couple weights, #1 truck alone loaded headed camping with everybody/everything you load into it, #2 hooked up to the rv & drive on with truck on one section & rv on the next, post those numbers here & you'll get help ciphering them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
notanlines

What part of what country are you located such that you might spend thousands to get it weighed? The engineer in me is just curious….
Set the pressure at recommended max on the placard on the trailer and go camping.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
bsmith0404

Yes you are over thinking it. If you are going to worry about individual tire weight so you can adjust air pressure on each tire, you’re WAY over thinking it. Do you go through that process every time you change where you store items, purchase new stuff for the RV, pack differently because the next trip is out of the norm? Just make sure you’re level so not adding extra weight to one axle, air to max pressure listed on the tire and go. If you upgrade tires and would like to adjust pressures based on added capacity, then divide the weight on the axles by 4 and use that weight.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:08 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I know with the proximity of the tires if I weight the trailer hooked up and divide that weight by 4 it will be close enough. But the engineer in me wants to know it all. This would also help me pack as weight distribution is key. A balanced load is a safer load.
So are you going to repeate this process before each trip? I bought a Sherline tongue scale years ago for keeping tabs on the tongue weight. I don't use it for every trip but primarily if we are loading up for a longer trip (duration of time, not distance). If you intend to weigh each of the 5 contact points before each departure then yes, you will spend a lot of money to satisfy your "engineer curiosity ".
Old 06-23-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Trailer tires have always needed load capacity reserves. Even with the recommended 10% reserves above vehicle certified GAWR (s) it is not always enough. Inflating your tires to the load carried is not a standard used in the RV trailer industry. The correct inflation pressures for OE tires is in the vehicle owner's manual, on the vehicle certification label and the tire and load placard.

Getting trailer GVW at the scales is always recommended. The Keystone 2022 generic owner's manual describes it.

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...2+10-27-21.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
You're way overthinking this!
There's not much of a way for weight distribution in a rv, the majority of the heavy items, kitchen & holding tanks, are fixed in place & typically the largest storage area is in the front, how do you balance that? Lucille Ball comes to mind, I guess loading rocks for weight distribution?
Being sure you have good quality tires, not China bombs, that are inflated the the cold sidewall pressures in the morning before heading out & go camping! As a rv owner I promise the engineer in you will have something else for you to fret over soon enough!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
<snip> I bought a Sherline tongue scale years ago for keeping tabs on the tongue weight. <snip>.
I've got one of those - the fluid leaked out. I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to send in for repair...

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

OP you are way overthinking this to no gain. You won't have time to go camping if you are going to weigh each tire each time you move a Kleenex box. First, if you have to do that you need more suspension/tires (or truck), RV tires should be inflated to psi on the sidewall and I like to have a minimum of 15% carrying capacity over the gvw of the trailer in my tires. Then go to a scale and you can get the important numbers; truck, trailer, pin; make sure tires are up to the load (as indicated by the trailer weight + 15% - my guideline) and go camping. Spending each day weighing each tire every time you eat a can of beans just doesn't sound fun to me. Good luck on finding a happy medium.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I've got one of those - the fluid leaked out. I've been wondering if it would be worthwhile to send in for repair...
I have no idea how much a repair would cost. Their website ( https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/ ) now states to add a 1/2" block of wood between the body of the scale and bottom of the piston to keep the seal from drying out. That wasn't in the instructions when I bought mine but that's been about 10 yrs ago.

The website lists the part numbers for the "O" rings. I haven't thought about it so I haven't looked at mine that close but can't imagine it being that difficult to replace.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
JOglesby

Yes I know I am over thinking this. But I just want to know what I got.
The old saying goes engineers are not boring people we just get excited over boring things. Kinda nerdy that way. I know there are systems out there to do just what I'm asking, couple grand to buy a good one. I also know there are people who have these that go to different rallies and weigh trailers for the participants. Just asking if there was a national service that may do this similar to taking your trailer to a cat scale. Yes I know the CAT scale will tell me what I NEED to know, just want to know more.

I live and travel mostly in the southeast.

We have a 2021 BUllet 290BHS towed with a 2018 RAM 2500 (as stated in my signature)
Old 06-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #14
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have no idea how much a repair would cost. Their website ( https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/ ) now states to add a 1/2" block of wood between the body of the scale and bottom of the piston to keep the seal from drying out. That wasn't in the instructions when I bought mine but that's been about 10 yrs ago.

The website lists the part numbers for the "O" rings. I haven't thought about it so I haven't looked at mine that close but can't imagine it being that difficult to replace.
I'm in the same boat. I did order a couple 'O' rings and downloaded their repair guide. Looks quite straightforward.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #15
bsmith0404

To get what you want you need individual scales for each tire. There’s probably a few places in each major city that can do it. One in particular I can think of is a fab shop for race cars. Obviously the mobile weigh stations you see along the highway where the state police bring the scales in. You can always stop at one of those and ask if they can do a courtesy check for you.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Stopping at a state weigh station or on the side of the road when they are doing spot checks will get you yelled at around here. That may work in other states. If you just can't sleep at night without this knowledge then I'd suggest calling RV dealers that sell large class A coaches. I think it's more common for those rigs to be weighed and tire inflation adjusted accordingly.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

JOglesby, As a retired maintenance mechanic I rarely agreed with engineers. ( design of equipment that required complete disassembly for minor repairs or pms, etc, etc, etc.) I just have to ask. Do you adjust the air in your TV when you drive solo and when you have a passenger??? I know that my DW would kill me if I did that with her. Honey, do I look fat in this passenger seat? Bam!!! No more Hank! ...... Just curious.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #18
JOglesby

Yeah @hankpage, I've been on both sides. One of the few engineers I run into having actually worked in the field. I still curse alot of engineers.

Bottom line is I just WANT to know and don't know where to go get what I am after.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah @hankpage, I've been on both sides. One of the few engineers I run into having actually worked in the field. I still curse alot of engineers.

Bottom line is I just WANT to know and don't know where to go get what I am after.
The absence of the service is an indication that there's very little or no demand for it. Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:48 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

If you attempt to apply "vehicle (car/truck) tire standards" to "trailer tires" you're attempting to apply apple peeling standards to removing the skin on a catfish"... The standards aren't the same, so the rules aren't the same and the application of the wrong rules can cause significant reliability issues "down the road"....

Vehicle tires are required to have a specific "reserve capacity" when in operation. That means you can "air down the tires per a chart and still maintain reserve load capacity while achieving a softer ride"....

Can't do that on ST tires. Until just recently (last 2-3 years) ST tires were installed with NO load capacity reserve. If the axle rating was 4000 pounds, the manufacturer could install tires rated for 2000 pounds @ 65 PSI and meet the standard. The owner could "weigh his rig and adjust to a lower pressure to improve the ride, if the trailer weight was below the 4000 pounds....

BUT WHY ?????? The minimum reserve capacities that the manufacturer establishes for trailer tires (smaller tires cost less money to install) sets up the trailer to be "at the bottom of the safety reserve capacity" from the end of the assembly line. When the trailer rolls out of the plant, it's already riding on the cheapest tires available in the smallest size that meets the RVIA/NHTSA standards. If you look at the tire placard on the front roadside corner of your trailer, you'll find (dollars to donuts) that the tire pressure recommended by the trailer manufacturer will be the same as the maximum inflation pressure on the tire sidewall (from the tire manufacturer)..

There is REDUCED RESERVE CAPACITY wtih every pound of air you bleed out of your tires. When the trailer is built with minimum reserves, attempting to reduce that minimum only serves to reduce reliability and safety....

Air the tires to the maximum sidewall pressure (take your pick, trailer manufacturer placard or tire sidewall setting) since they're both the same, the "choice is pretty easy"....

I have to ask, with OEM equipment, why the heck would anyone want to reduce pressure, reduce capacity, reduce safety and reduce reliability (to achieve a softer ride) when operating the rig on the cheapest "may pops" available from China ?????

Use the manufacturer's recommendations for tire pressure. After all, there's engineers there that get paid the "big bucks" to keep the Keystone legal team out of court.... Translated: Cheapest equipment seldom has any "extra" to start, attempting to eliminate that is a recipe for failure....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote