Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
Jbro

OK If One Tire Slightly Up In Air?

I'm parked at a seasonal site. When I first auto-leveled, all 4 tires were solidly grounded. However, the ground is a bit soft and despite 4' long boards under the tires, and pea gravel and boards under the leveling jacks, the trailer went off level a tad. No matter what I do, I now cannot auto level without one specific tire being slightly off the ground.

Is that ok?

If not, I will try to lift it enough on the rear jacks to slip another board in under the tires. I think this should be doable, but not 100 percent sure.
Jbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
bsmith0404

It doesn’t hurt to have a tire off the ground, since the weight of the RV is supported on the jacks anyway. However, if since you’re on a perm site, I’d adjust so it isn’t. Also, it’s common for this to happen when you re-level since the starting point is different. If you retract the jacks and start over, it probably won’t be as bad.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
Jbro

I did retract and auto level and it was better but that single tire was still slightly off the ground. I think if I slipped in another 1/2" board it would be good.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
travelin texans

Manually lower all the other jacks til its level with all 4 tires on the ground. You may need to use a level on the cabinets & floor inside doing this method.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
Jbro

I think what's happening is that when the front is basically as low as it can go, the back needs to be lifted quite a bit to get it level. It was good when I first parked it a month ago, but the boards the tires are on were sitting on top of the ground and now the earth has compressed enough under the boards that the top of the boards are almost level with the ground. Just losing that 1" or so is enough that I do not quite have enough play left to both get it level and keep all 4 tires solidly planted.

I will try lowering everything one more time and auto-leveling. If that doesn't work, I will try to do it manually. If those fail, I'll try to lift enough to slip in one more board.
Old 06-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
bobbecky

Having a tire barely touching the ground or up off the ground an inch is the same thing, all the weight is on the jacks. There is no benefit to having a tire slightly touching the ground. If you want, jack up the rig as high as you can, shovel some gravel under that tire location and then go through the leveling procedure.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
bsmith0404

I’m assuming you have electric auto level. If the rear is lifting to compensate for the front not being able to go low enough, you can reconnect to the tow vehicle, drop the front jacks down further before lowering the feet. That will give the front more range of travel to lower. If you have hydraulic, obviously that’s not an option. Either way, having the tires on the ground with an auto level system is purely cosmetic. The only additional weight on the jacks is the axle/tire weight. When the jacks go through the leveling process, the entire weight of the RV is placed on them, they are lifting points welded/bolted directly to the frame of the RV. When they level it, they’re lifting all of it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
Jbro

I retracted the jacks and tried the auto-level again but still had the same problem. I finally solved it by lifting the right rear and sliding one more board under the tires. After doing that, when I auto-leveled I got it done with all tires planted. I then tossed on some of the stabilizing chocks and now I think I'm good for the season.

Tags
light