Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
4Papa

2022 Cougar 25RDS Battery Tray Size?

Anyone know the size of the opening/tray in this year/model's tongue? I have a SolarFlex 400i unit on order on which the dealer will install the stock 12V Group 24 Lead Acid battery. This I will immediately swap out for a 100-300 Ah LiPo battery or batteries but not knowing what size battery box or boxes will fit in the tongue opening is an issue with ordering the battery and box in advance. The factory was no help nor was the dealer. They did try but are bound by what they sell. If I knew what rectangular size the tongue holds I'd be able to figure out what configuration of batteries or battery it can handle. Thanks!
4Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #2
G0Faster

I just installed two new Renogy 12V 100AH Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries in my 2022 Cougar 25RDS. The battery tray is a trapezoid and the narrowest section is 28" wide. It is 8.25" deep. I was able to install two Camco Large Battery boxes and place the batteries inside them. It's a very tight fit due to the Keystone Giggy box, but there is still room to operate the Giggy box on/off switch. The only other issue is that Keystone ran the LP tank hose right across the battery tray and didn't provide much slack. I was able to re-route it over the top of the battery, but plan to replace it with a longer hose when I have an opportunity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tray.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	39215
Old 04-12-2022, 02:46 AM   #3
pasayten

I have a 2021 Cougar 26rbs that came with 2 x group 24 Interstate batteries. I upgraded to 2 x group 27 Battleborn heated 100 ah LiPO4 batteries. Tough to fit the larger cases in the tray. I used Quick Cable cases. I had to cut off the inside handles on each case to get them to fit in the width of the tray and the giggy box. The propane hose also just squeezed in between the cases. All in all, it came out great and I am a happy camper... I see for 2022, Cougar has the Battleborn (Dragonfly) batteries as an option... Maybe the moved the tray back a ways on the frame making it wider for the grp 27 cases. :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:46 AM   #4
4Papa

Interesting Differences

Sorry for the tardy reply. Was actually traveling to pick up the Cougar! Love this camper! There are some interesting configuration differences in my battery tray vs what GoFaster shows in his photo. Will post photo and specs.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:50 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

During these times I wouldn't trust any measurement other than physically done on your unit. With the supply chain issues, labor issues I wouldn't truct any consistancy coming off the line.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
Falcon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
During these times I wouldn't trust any measurement other than physically done on your unit. With the supply chain issues, labor issues I wouldn't truct any consistancy coming off the line.
This. I bought a 2nd battery box for our 220RD and tested the fit on the trailer. If we decide on a 2nd battery I know I can just barely squeeze it in. It was also good to have the box handy when fitting the brackets for the Equilizer hitch in order to avoid potential interference.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
4Papa

2022 Cougar RDS Battery Tray Dimensions

So, I finally got delivery of the unit and it's everything I'd hoped (and others say) it's cracked up to be. Took it out on its maiden trip barely a week after receiving it and, so far (fingers crossed), there's been only one warranty issue: the Dinette Table articulating base broke off at two welds at the joints. This was before my trip and while demonstrating its operation for family. There was no weight or twisting motion placed on the table as it was being raised so my guess would be bad welds. I'm also familiar with the design as my R-Pod had similar, although not quite as Rube Goldberg-ish. It's not the most robust design, especially when considering some campers would be using it outside as well (one of its selling points). The damaged base didn't preclude it from being used as a bed, only a table.

I sent pictures of the broken joints as requested by the dealer who forwarded them to Keystone for a replacement. I'm expecting the replacement tomorrow. Hopefully this one is a bit better constructed.

As promised in my post a couple of weeks ago, attached is a photo of the battery tray on my 2022 Cougar. Unlike some of the other photos where the angle iron supporting the batteries runs parallel to the long side of the batteries, my unit has additional angle iron support running perpendicular with additional support beneath the batteries. This arrangement might be due to the unit having been ordered with the SolarFlex 400i package that would call for, at the very least, upgraded G27 size dual, wet cell or AGM batteries, or better yet, direct replacement, LiFeP04 batteries. These larger batteries (with their boxes) would not fit in the space allowed by the parallel arrangement. My plan is to replace the dual G27 batteries for a 300 Ah LiFeP04. Hopefully the photo uploads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022 Cougar Batteries & Tray w Dim.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	39541  
Old 05-18-2022, 04:19 PM   #8
Life-in-Him

Thanks for the measurements.
I'm thinking of putting 3x100ah LiFePo4 batteries in that same location on our 2020 24sabwe but turning them 90° parallel.
Probably need to build my own battery box but moving back a couple of inches
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cougar