Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemechanic53 View Post
Luckily ( or not) I'm in Yuma AZ. So it's reasonable temps and dry here. I'll need to do a lot of clean up. I wanted to insulate the underbelly area anyway, so this will be the time I do that.
Are you in a campground? Make sure wherever you are that they are ok with you washing wastewater all over the ground.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Depending on what's in there that could very well run afoul of city, county, state or federal laws as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #23
bikemechanic53

I have removed the coroplast and bubble wrap. The tanks were dropped into the frame from the top. Two lengthwise steel C channels support each tank ( 2 tanks, 1 black, 1 gray). The inner C channels are screwed into the crosswise welded frame members. Outer ones welded in. So if the inner support is removed, it may be possible to wiggle the tank out of it's other support. The 2 drains ( toilet and vent) would need to be cut off at the base, somehow.

But, I can find no cracks, leaks or broken drains in this black tank. The only part of the tank that is not visible is the top. It is tight against the frame supports with fiberglass insulation between it and the floor's bottom. So I can't see what the top looks like, or if there is a hole/leak/crack in it.

Is it possible there is a pressure relief valve on the top of the tank? Or is that just wishful thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black water tank.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	38525   Click image for larger version

Name:	black water drain.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	38526   Click image for larger version

Name:	screws holding tank support.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	38527   Click image for larger version

Name:	black water tank connections.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	38528  
Old 02-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #24
jasin1

Wonder if you could remove the toilet and see down on top of the tank
Old 02-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #25
bikemechanic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Wonder if you could remove the toilet and see down on top of the tank
Good idea. On this model, the toilet is 2 1/2 feet above the tank. But I may be able to find a fiber optic set that is long enough to get me a view of the top.
Old 02-27-2022, 11:49 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Good idea. On this model, the toilet is 2 1/2 feet above the tank. But I may be able to find a fiber optic set that is long enough to get me a view of the top.
Be nice if it just blew a fitting or plug out of the tank. Maybe the tank sensor mount?
Old 02-27-2022, 11:53 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

The tanks are placed up to the floor and then the angle brackets are screwed into the frame on the sides.....not trying to be a 'know it all" but I have taken more tanks out of RV's than I want to admit to. It WILL drop out the bottom

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #28
notanlines

"The tanks were dropped into the frame from the top." What Chuckster^^^^said. We've been through a number of plants and they are like chuckster said.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:41 PM   #29
Hblick48

If it's split where the top is glued to the tank, the only way you'll know is to fill up the tank. Since you have the bottom off, it will be easy to find the leak when filled. Don't ask me how I know.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 05:10 AM   #30
Scttw

Hmmmmmmm, dejavu

If I "Overfill" my Alpine, it leaks into the bed from the top. It's likely a faulty seal from the build. It does not come out the toilet. This happened way back in the beginning when I was running the water in the spring to clear out the antifreeze, and did NOT realize that my bathroom sink drains to the black instead of the grey (which was open of course).

I ended up cutting in an access door through the coroplast, and replaced the wet insulation (Arctic package).

My point is that if your black tank is not leaking, yet you did leak into the bed, I bet it did the same thing and overflowed at the top. It's likely cleaner water that leaked as well since that would have been at the top ......

Keep us up to date - watching this thread!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:29 AM   #31
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
No doubt you'll need to drop the cloroplast and get dirty. I'd suggest you make a label, or use a permenant marker and with a big arrow pointing to that connection atate "open black water drain valve first". May save you from an encore in the future.
Marshal, I am willing to bet he NEVER does that again even without the sign.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:41 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Probably a safe bet but you never know when someone else thinks " I'll help them out and rinse their bw rank". when we first got our trailer with the outside kitchen my neice was helping my DW cook outside. She cleaned a bunch of veggies in the outddor sink and clogged the drain. I was helping my God son with something at his site so I wasn't there.

When I returned her husband told me about but said "I got my drain cleaner and pulled a big peice of rubber out of the drain." He showed me the the barbed drain tool and told me I should get one. So, after thanking them for the help and teplacing the Hepvo valve all was well.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:23 AM   #33
bikemechanic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Hmmmmmmm, dejavu

If I "Overfill" my Alpine, it leaks into the bed from the top. It's likely a faulty seal from the build. It does not come out the toilet. This happened way back in the beginning when I was running the water in the spring to clear out the antifreeze, and did NOT realize that my bathroom sink drains to the black instead of the grey (which was open of course).

I ended up cutting in an access door through the coroplast, and replaced the wet insulation (Arctic package).

My point is that if your black tank is not leaking, yet you did leak into the bed, I bet it did the same thing and overflowed at the top. It's likely cleaner water that leaked as well since that would have been at the top ......

Keep us up to date - watching this thread!
I think you are correct. A ruptured seal between the tank's top and bottom would make the most sense. If that is the case, I may not replace the tank. Just dump it whenever it gets 3/4 full.

Would that work?
Old 02-28-2022, 09:24 AM   #34
bikemechanic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Probably so. But I'll mark the tank flush valve as such, just in case.....
Old 02-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #35
Hblick48

If you have a leak at the seam where the tank top is glued to the tank, or if you have leaks where the toilet or vent pipes attach to the top of the tank, you will have a problem leaving almost any amount of liquid in the tank.

When the vehicle is in motion, the liquid sloshes around in the tank. A 1/2 full tank will definitely cause either scenario to leak.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I think you are correct. A ruptured seal between the tank's top and bottom would make the most sense. If that is the case, I may not replace the tank. Just dump it whenever it gets 3/4 full.

Would that work?
I would think that if the tank or any connections are breached then gases (odors) would be released. From your original description it sounded like a major defect if it flodded the underbelly. That came from somewhere and in my thinking that somewhere needs to be repaired. I have yet to see any mechanical fualt heal or fix itself.

Just to run a " theoretical " situation", lets say over pressurising the tank blew the drain line out of the fitting and its no longer securly glued together. After the pressure was relived perhaps the pipe returned to its original position and is not currently leaking. That would most likely end up as a problem in the future. Maybe one day you pull that valve handle ants just enough force to pop that pipe loose again, just as your ready to leave for home and the last thing to do is dump the tank on the way out.

It's your rig you do as you see fit. If it were my trailer I wouldn't be able to sleep not knowing if today is the day for a "repeate performance" of the s__t show.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #37
bikemechanic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
If you have a leak at the seam where the tank top is glued to the tank, or if you have leaks where the toilet or vent pipes attach to the top of the tank, you will have a problem leaving almost any amount of liquid in the tank.

When the vehicle is in motion, the liquid sloshes around in the tank. A 1/2 full tank will definitely cause either scenario to leak.
Ah. Good point.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:04 AM   #38
bikemechanic53

Quote:
I would think that if the tank or any connections are breached then gases (odors) would be released. From your original description it sounded like a major defect if it flodded the underbelly. That came from somewhere and in my thinking that somewhere needs to be repaired. I have yet to see any mechanical fualt heal or fix itself.

Just to run a " theoretical " situation", lets say over pressurising the tank blew the drain line out of the fitting and its no longer securly glued together. After the pressure was relived perhaps the pipe returned to its original position and is not currently leaking. That would most likely end up as a problem in the future. Maybe one day you pull that valve handle ants just enough force to pop that pipe loose again, just as your ready to leave for home and the last thing to do is dump the tank on the way out.

It's your rig you do as you see fit. If it were my trailer I wouldn't be able to sleep not knowing if today is the day for a "repeate performance" of the s__t show.
Yes. Looks like a tank replacement is in my future.
Old 02-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #39
Hblick48

Start filling the tank with water. Stop filling when it starts to leak. Find that spot and you'll know for sure what repairs are necessary.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #40
Scttw

Quote:

Quote:
Ah. Good point.

True - My rig is full time so I don't need to worry about that. And to your other question - the "Gurgle" tells me when to pull, and I've never had an issue since. I don't use the gauges as we know how well they work
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water tank, tank, water