Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Coda

Coda

New member, newbie to RVing (except when 8 y/o). 60, retiring with wife. Eyeing Coug 22 RBS w/ theater seats. Former Recon Marine, then RN 26 years. Wife, Suzanne, is a teacher.
Okay, let me EDIT THIS POST: NO TV YET, Researching on MY OWN. Just sayin' " hey". NO TV YET. RESEARCHING THIS over next few months. Will reach out with any questions. Thank you for concern. Peace...we are going to FULLTIME.
Coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Roper46

Welcome to the forum from a south Georgia member. Would definitely help for myself and other members here to have information about what tow vehicle you will be using.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
New member, newbie to RVing (except when 8 y/o). 60, retiring with wife. Eyeing Coug 22 RBS w/ theater seats. Former Recon Marine, then RN 26 years. Wife, Suzanne, is a teacher.
Are you fulltiming? Weekend warriors? Towing with what?
That model is 26' long with a GVWR of 7200lbs which equals a 900+lb tongue weight + the weight of the hitch (100+lbs)+ the weight of everyone/everything in/on your tow vehicle that didn't come from the factory, subtract all that from the payload posted on your vehicle, the yellow/white tag on the driver's door of your tow vehicle for that payload.
Use all weight numbers posted on your vehicle & rv, DO NOT use brochure, literature, web site & especially any number the rv or vehicle sales people may quote. If you have any questions regarding weights or any other aspects of buying, towing a RV ask here to get accurate real life experienced rv owners answers, the folks on here will make nothing from a sale.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
Coda

Ya'd think, huh? Searching for TV, then purchase RV. Gotta trade or sell existing vehicles. Researching...getting close. I haven't any questions. Just sayin' " hey".
Old 12-12-2021, 04:02 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
We started with a 2018 24RBSWE. Loved it but we were full timing and it just wasn't enough room. Too much inclimate weather kept us inside for too long. But we have fond memories of it. We had a king bed and two theater seats in the slide out. Is the 22RBS the one with the bed in the nose and seats in the slide out? I may have missed it, are you full-time or part-time camping?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
Coda

Hookay. No questions, yet. Researching TV on my own. Will post questions if needed. JUST SAYIN HI. We will be fulltime. Once I figure stuff out, through next few months of RESEARCH, I will reach out. Peace.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

The Cougar is a nice unit.

And, thanks for your service, it is appreciated!

Take care.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
Coda

Yes, same 22RBS, Fulltime.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
Coda

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you...sorry, reply was "too short"
Old 12-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
Coda

Thank you for your kind greeting...okay, thats 10 characters...
Old 12-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

You obviously don't want any thoughts or input on your future plans and are doing research "on your own". Good luck with that. Lots of folks with hundreds, if not thousands, of years experience wanting to help you in your quest. Since you don't need it please make sure your next questions are not "I bought this and that to tow it but now what". Asking questions and getting feedback from knowledgeable folks will beat internet "research" every day....good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:42 AM   #12
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:07 AM   #13
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You obviously don't want any thoughts or input on your future plans and are doing research "on your own". Good luck with that. Lots of folks with hundreds, if not thousands, of years experience wanting to help you in your quest. Since you don't need it please make sure your next questions are not "I bought this and that to tow it but now what". Asking questions and getting feedback from knowledgeable folks will beat internet "research" every day....good luck.
I WILL ASK, after I have done my due diligence. Im not one to burden others with rhetoric. Please stand by. Thank you for your concern.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:07 AM   #14
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Welcome from northern MN.
Why, thank you. Hope to cross paths one day.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:09 AM   #15
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
We started with a 2018 24RBSWE. Loved it but we were full timing and it just wasn't enough room. Too much inclimate weather kept us inside for too long. But we have fond memories of it. We had a king bed and two theater seats in the slide out. Is the 22RBS the one with the bed in the nose and seats in the slide out? I may have missed it, are you full-time or part-time camping?
Mike, what rig and hitch set-up did you tow the 22RBS with?
Old 12-13-2021, 05:15 AM   #16
Coda

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Are you fulltiming? Weekend warriors? Towing with what?
That model is 26' long with a GVWR of 7200lbs which equals a 900+lb tongue weight + the weight of the hitch (100+lbs)+ the weight of everyone/everything in/on your tow vehicle that didn't come from the factory, subtract all that from the payload posted on your vehicle, the yellow/white tag on the driver's door of your tow vehicle for that payload.
Use all weight numbers posted on your vehicle & rv, DO NOT use brochure, literature, web site & especially any number the rv or vehicle sales people may quote. If you have any questions regarding weights or any other aspects of buying, towing a RV ask here to get accurate real life experienced rv owners answers, the folks on here will make nothing from a sale.
Thank you, fellow Texan. I will reach out to you after some recon. Gonna settle mostly around Hill Country and then west of there at times to Cali. Fams in Austin area. Will keep in mind your intel.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:20 AM   #17
Coda

22 RBS Cougar

Im in the push for retiring FULLTIME into this Cougar 22RBS. I have 4 months to trade in vehicles on a rig that will tow it safely. I am open to input on what rig/hitch set up has worked for this EXACT RV (or comparable) and would appreciate guidance.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:50 AM   #18
mikec557

Quote:
Mike, what rig and hitch set-up did you tow the 22RBS with?
Well, I have to admit my screw up. Which by the way cost us about $10,000...

I bought a new 2017 or 2018 Chev Silverado 1500 gasser with the V8 (I think it was a 5.3L) with the 3:43(?) rear diff. It was the better than stock rear axle for towing but not as good as the rear axle in the official "towing package." It pulled great and I was easily within the trailer weight limit and the GCVWR.

BUT. I exceeded both the cargo carrying capacity and the GRAWR. By more than I could jettison.

Bought it for $35k, could get only $25k for it. Less than a year old, less than 15,000 miles on it.

When I shopped for a truck I only considered how heavy a trailer I could pull and whether the GVWR of both the trailer and the truck were under the GCVWR. I didn't know to look at CCC and GRAWR. Keep those in mind.

Regarding the hitch. Some might say it's overkill for smaller travel trailers, but I disagree. Get the best (in your opinion) "weight distribution and anti-sway" hitch. I used then, and now with our 2020 26RBSWE, the Equalizer 4-point hitch. Both then and now I used the 10,000lb version.

After the truck debacle, my wife and I said we'd never lose money like that again. Not knowing what RV, or how many RVs we'd go thru, or how long we would full-time, we decided on a GMC 3500hd Duramax SRW. Yes, it was overkill then and maybe a little so now. But you'll never regret pulling with a diesel.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #19
markcee

Larger GVWR Cougar '1/2 ton' here, but same story as Mike.....and believe me, we aren't the only two with this tale.

Regardless of which '1/2 ton' Cougar you go with, actually towing it safely with a 1/2 ton truck can prove difficult. As Mike stated, it's largely about payload capacity. In my case we were just under payload and rear axle capacity once loaded up. I never had any close calls towing with the F150 but I also never felt like the truck had full control of the load.

Suffice to say we traded in a 6 month old F150 'max tow' - at a substantial loss, for an F350 SRW gasser.

As you will be a full-timer, presumably towing a lot of miles, I would highly recommend a truck larger than a 1/2 ton....even though this model Cougar may fit within the parameters of a 'suitably equipped' 1/2 ton truck. In addition, you may find that trailer a bit small to full time in, and upgrade to a larger unit down the road. Purchasing a large enough truck now will position you for any future changes.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #20
travelin texans

Great advice from Mark & Mike!
YOU CAN'T HAVE TOO MUCH TRUCK! You can easily/quickly have not enough!!
Also agree for fulltiming that RV will get very small very quickly, especially if you're cooped up in it for a couple days due to weather. If you're in it alone it may be good for a while, but 2 adults with possibly a pet it'll be VERY crowded.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote