Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
Sonders

Shore power cord and surge protector

I noticed on our 2015 Passport Ulta-Lite we purchased at end of season last year had a small burnt/melted looking section on the shore power plug, next to one of the prongs. Fast forward to this year and several camping trips behind us and I’ve been noticing that spot has transferred to the surge protector as well as the 25ft extension cord I use while plugged into 30 amp shore power at home. (1) Should I be concerned? (2) What would be causing this? (3) What can/should I do about it? TIA for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57C79A79-38CF-46A6-BA5A-133DB13403D9.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	36970   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC64BB05-19DB-4715-B923-574102FB8F73.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	36971   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6E143F2-DA28-4792-9AFE-9373868D4951.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	36972  
Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
locomech

I would be very concerned if it were my camper. I too own a Passport Ultra-lite and have never experienced an overheat condition like yours. I not an electrician but would immediately suspect the use of the 25 ft. extension cord as being the source of the overheating condition. Extension cords should only be used as a band aid solution to being short of reaching a shore power pedestal for a short time. If using it as permanent means to supply your camper an overheating condition is possible depending what appliances you're using. I'm sure some of the other members here will be able to better inform you on how to solve this problem.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
KimNTerry

It looks like the contacts are arcing when connecting them together. Most likely due to power being on when putting the two together.

Invest in a good EMS or at very least surge suppressor if you have not already.

Turn off the breaker at the pedestal or house. Make the connection then turn the breaker back on.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
Sonders

My first thought was the extension cord. Like I said though, the rv plug was already like that when we purchased it so maybe the previous owners did the same thing. I will definitely turn breaker off before plugging in from now on. I foolishly have not been doing that. Do I need to replace the plug on the trailer?
Old 11-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
Canonman

Notice the burned area is on the same pin? The wiring to that pin is loose and arcing. This is a fire waiting to happen. Replace the male connector before using it again. You can remove and replace the connector or replace the entire cord. The female connectors ar probably ok but I'd replace those too just to be sure they are not compromised.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

That is z sign of arcing, typically from plugging in and unplugging with the breaker on. Once that happens the arc of electriciyy causes carbon to build up on the blade of the plug. Once that happens it creates resistance which creates heat. The damage is done and the componets need to be replaced before they melt down further and cause a fire.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

That is a sign of arcing, typically from plugging in and unplugging with the breaker on. Sorry, some guy already said this... Someone mentioned EMS; your "surge protector" is a waste of money. You have very expensive electrical components in your camper and a surge protector won't save them if you have any one of many electrical conditions that will fry them. This is the one I use:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18486804201...EAAOSwhC5guEa0

There are various EMS systems but a surge protector is a waste of money.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #8
Sonders

I’ve been wanting to convert to the external plug -in type shore power connector instead of the current one that pulls out from the camper; I guess this is the perfect time to make the change. Sounds like I need to add a better quality EMS unit to the winter shopping list as well.

Atleast in the winter time the camper gets stored right next to garage, close to the 30 amp outlet so no extension cord is needed. I use the extension cord when camper is being used during actual camping season as it stays in the driveway further from the external 30 amp outlet.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonders View Post
My first thought was the extension cord. Like I said though, the rv plug was already like that when we purchased it so maybe the previous owners did the same thing. I will definitely turn breaker off before plugging in from now on. I foolishly have not been doing that. Do I need to replace the plug on the trailer?
Well there is part of the problem, the contact was already burnt, you should have replaced the burnt end before using it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

What I did on mine to convert it was to replace the "mouse hole" with a 30 amp twist lock inlet. I used the space where the cord was stored to mount my permenenyly wired EMS. Just cut the original cord to wire it all in. I bought a 30' shore cable with a molded 90° female twist lock and standard 30 amp male. Then I installed a standard 30 amp female to the "leftover " original cable and made a short extension about 25' long.

Whatever you do, replace that damaged male plug on yhe trailer. Cut it off, strip back the wires znd if the bared wire is not shiney, new looking (i.e. ANY discolouration) then cut it back until you find it looking like new. Then install a new male plug. Don’t try to "save money" by buying a cheap plug, it's not worth it. Personally I like Marinco brand as they sell marine grade connectors.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well there is part of the problem, the contact was already burnt, you should have replaced the burnt end before using it.

Ha, yeah you’re right. I should have asked about the plug when first bought the camper but didn’t think anything about it at the time.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #12
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What I did on mine to convert it was to replace the "mouse hole" with a 30 amp twist lock inlet. I used the space where the cord was stored to mount my permenenyly wired EMS. Just cut the original cord to wire it all in. I bought a 30' shore cable with a molded 90° female twist lock and standard 30 amp male. Then I installed a standard 30 amp female to the "leftover " original cable and made a short extension about 25' long.

Whatever you do, replace that damaged male plug on yhe trailer. Cut it off, strip back the wires znd if the bared wire is not shiney, new looking (i.e. ANY discolouration) then cut it back until you find it looking like new. Then install a new male plug. Don’t try to "save money" by buying a cheap plug, it's not worth it. Personally I like Marinco brand as they sell marine grade connectors.

Already shopping for twist lock cable to replace the bad plug on the camper. Kind of leaning towards the Smart Plug actually. I’ll pick up a EMS unit over the winter. Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:34 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

My neighbor has a Chevy work truck. Wouldn't start and had to pay $240 for a tow. He replaced half of the stuff under the hood and it wouldn't start. Walked over and look at his battery cables and they were the dark brown color that says "no electric through here". The hot cable on his truck went two places; one to the starter solenoid and the other to the under hood fuse box. Grabbed my cutter, stripped the cable back till bright copper showed and reinstalled the battery terminal connector and bingo, started right up. He had replaced battery, fuse box and screwed up the connector to the drive by wire thing going to the injectors. It is in the shop now as a new electronic throttle gizmo needs to be reprogrammed. Little things first like a corroded battery cable.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:25 AM   #14
Sonders

Very good point Wiredgeorge.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #15
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
...This is the one I use:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18486804201...EAAOSwhC5guEa0

There are various EMS systems but a surge protector is a waste of money.
I would be careful buying the appliance in the eBay link above. The item description says it's an EMS, but the picture and the price indicate it's just a surge protector.

The Progressive 30 amp EMS generally run $250-$275.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0W4CZ8...roduct_details

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I would be careful buying the appliance in the eBay link above. The item description says it's an EMS, but the picture and the price indicate it's just a surge protector.

Your link and George's are to the same EMS/surge protector. Here's a link to the manual of the one George provided. Note page 3;

https://98fc35b2-8b52-49c0-9df1-3310...a34464ad95.pdf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:13 PM   #17
Sonders

Attached is what I currently have from Camco that came with the camper. Going to look for a new one over the winter. Ordered a Smart Plug to convert the old pull out plug/potential mouse house. I’ll go ahead and get that converted before putting it up for winter.

http://https://www.amazon.com/Camco-...3%2CB097H34MF7
Old 11-10-2021, 04:03 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post

Willie, It is an EMS and the same one I have and a very good price for a new unit. Progressive will honor their guarantee even with eBay sales. I know as I had to get my first one replaced when it died and they just sent along a new one. I bought it on eBay. Try reading the product number on the package.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #19
Berdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonders View Post
I think this is likely the cause. If you plug in with power on you have a high inrush current to the filter capacitors of the converter and you will hear the contacts arcing due to the high current transient.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
Sonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berdan View Post
I think this is likely the cause. If you plug in with power on you have a high inrush current to the filter capacitors of the converter and you will hear the contacts arcing due to the high current transient.
Sounds like it. I thought i was supposed to plug the surge protector to pedestal at campsite or my home30 amp outlet and the suge protector would monitor for any electrical issues in the line. I was then good to plug in the shore power cord from camper once the lights all lit up green on the surge protector. It sounds like that is not the correct procedure?

Tags
power