Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

I watched "My Cousin Vinny" too.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:22 AM   #42
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You could start by looking at the approximately 2 zillion threads on tires and not one has a positive thing to say about TK tires. All will point you to Carlisle and GY Endurance in LRE in your size. There may be other great tires out there but they have few proponents due to few people using them. I have Carlisle Radial HT Trail tires on my camper and have had quite a few sets on quite a few trailers with no failures to date. The GY Endurance entered the market and have a similarly good rep. Do some search. Oh yeah, the TIRES forum would be a start.
From the RV web network.

10 Best Trailer Tires Reviews 2020

1. Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire
2. Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire
3. Freestar M-108 8 Ply D Load Radial Trailer Tire
4. eCustomRim Trailer Tire
5. Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire
6. Wheels Express 14-2B Trailer White Spoke Trailer Tire
7. Carlisle 6H04621 Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire
8. eCustomRim 2-Pack Trailer Tires
9. Wheels Express Inc 15″ Silver Mod Trailer Tire
10. Grande Ride Premium Trailer Tire
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:36 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
All tires look great until they pop. TKs just have a propensity to do that. Your trailer is a 1/2 ton Cougar with gvw of 10,400. The new RVIA standards for increased tire capacities is advantageous and will help your TKs although I'm not aware of any improved tire making processes in the Shandong province. I trust you are running the tires at 80psi.
C2 SHANDONG BAYI SAILUN TYRE MANUFACTURE CO. LTD. ZAOZHUANG CITY SHANDONG PROVINCE CHINA

• Certifications.. ISO 9001, ISO 9000, ISO 14001, ISO 14000, ISO 20000, OHSAS/ OHSMS 18001, IATF16949, HSE, ISO 14064, QC 080000, BSCI
Old 11-09-2020, 01:44 AM   #44
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Here's something for you to "chew on" an no doubt you have "written about it in a blog".

From my observations reading folks on this and other blogs relate their tire failures there's one glaring similarity. Someone will respond to a post on a tire failure with a typical "I had TKs and they failed in less than a year. I replaced with a different brand and put xxxx miles on them with no issues, or I'm on my second or third set of xyz brand with no issues since my TKs blew up.".

You can argue until the cows come home and defend Trail Kings all you want but I doubt you'll change the mind of one owner that's experienced a failure with them.
The information in blue is misleading because the designated size and load range of the replacements is unknown.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:33 AM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
From the RV web network.

Who did the reviews? Owners? The magazine ? I'm not wanting to argue, just trying to get evidence as you all like to quote. I've read enough Motor Trend magazines over the years to see the correlation between number of advertising pages a car company buys and which car company get's the MT Car of the year award.

I like to know the parameters of a "Top Ten" anything review to decide the validity.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:36 AM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I watched "My Cousin Vinny" too.....
Yeah , I guess if they are using that HP machine with the "dual flame gas chronometer analyzation"
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #47
Brantel

Quote:
From the RV web network.

Not sure I can put much faith in a review that list two of the same tires with different ratings....

#2 and #7 are the same tire brand and design.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Who did the reviews? Owners? The magazine ? I'm not wanting to argue, just trying to get evidence as you all like to quote. I've read enough Motor Trend magazines over the years to see the correlation between number of advertising pages a car company buys and which car company get's the MT Car of the year award.

I like to know the parameters of a "Top Ten" anything review to decide the validity.
My pet peeve with MT's "reviews" is the statement: "The design of the dash is outdated and needs to be refreshed.".....

Since when are square (or round/oval) air conditioner vents a "product that is used to determine quality, reliability, function or fitness" ??? Style is, at least to me, on the "bottom end of considerations" when it comes to "function"...

Now, if one wants "style" it becomes a "preference" not a "measurable factor"....

I stopped reading MT's reviews of the "new models in a head to head comparison" because of their preferences and the weight they place on that factor over function of the vehicle.

Others may have a different opinion, and that's their "preference" (no pun intended).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #49
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Not sure I can put much faith in a review that list two of the same tires with different ratings....

#2 and #7 are the same tire brand and design.

I observed a similar situation with Consumer Reports. two very different ratings on identical specification tire.

One was on a base model car from car company "X" the second application of the same tire was on an up-scale model car from car company "x".
Old 11-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #50
CWtheMan

Quote:

I posted that because he said he had never seen any positive comments about TK tires and there it was, right on top of that listing from RV Web Network.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #51
wiredgeorge

Quote:
From the RV web network.

The interesting thing about this "review" you quoted were the reviewer's comments at the end of the TK blurb. How the heck did the writer come up with the TK as the top ten leader if the word "disintegrating" is used in the review and said the TKs were a "non-buy" for him?:

QUOTE:
However, there are some things I find a little concerning about this tire. In some reviews, there has been complaining about the tire disintegrating after just a couple of months.
As I’ve mentioned before, I intend to use my trailer regularly, so, I can’t justify buying a tire that has any reputation for falling apart after only a few months. Also, I noticed the sidewalls are a little more flimsy than I’d typically like.
Overall, the concerns about the tire falling apart with frequent usage make this product a non-buy for me. I can’t risk having to buy another tire in another few months.

Pros
  • Has an enhanced shoulder design that improves tread life
  • Limited nationwide warranty
  • Has a center groove for extra stability and consistent tracking
  • The nylon overlay construction gives these tires strength and durability
Cons:
Co
  • Some reviews mention disintegrating after a few months
  • Sidewalls aren’t as sturdy as I like
UNQUOTE
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #52
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraman68 View Post
I can add my own TK woes. I was one of those that thought I could get one season out the TK, OEM tires, and then replace with new tires next year. Had a blowout after 5,000 miles.... and the tire pressure was always kept at the recommended 80 psig. Immediately drove to the nearest tire dealer and replaced all four. Luckily, there was no damage to the rig.

Wondering if any of the cords around the edge, especially at locations I have indicated,

were hard as seen in picture.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #53
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Not to change subject but do BAL tire xchocks cause any undo stress on tires?
Only if you try to drive off with them still in place between the tires. You'd probably bend or strip the x-chock before you would hurt a tire, even a chinese bomb.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #54
Mamarino

tires

The E rating tells us that they are 10 ply tires. Look at thte date code on the tires. That will tell you what week and year they were manufactured. Hopefully not 2 years on the frame before the 5th wheel was actually made.
Mamarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #55
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Purchased a new 5 th wheel in signature. Have been reading about tires because all I have herd is the tires that come with the new campers are nothing but China bombs. So been researching and found the top 10 tires trailer king is in the top. My 2020 keystone cougar 29 rks came with Trailer king rst
St225/74r15 e
Load range E. So I’m guessing I got some decent tires with my rig.
I have no first hand knowledge of the Tire Kings but they have horrible reviews on several forums, but a TPMS system is a must if you are going to keep them on your rig. I went through some real snarky threads when I was trying to figure out what to replace my china bombs with. One of my bombs blew up! Lol. Some were unintentional, some more so. Having done research on my own, and several forums, a huge favorite was the Sailun G rated tire. Don't know if Sailun comes in your size but you should consider going up in load range. To an F or G rated tire IMO. There is piece of mind in not having to worry about “ just good enough” tires. I went from E rated to G rated. Yea, it was an expensive switch, about just under $600 but in the end about the only thing I can worry about is a nail or screw puncture. Not much you can do about those. I sold my old tires that had lots of tread on marketplace and recouped some of that cost. If you keep those tires check them often. Me, I replaced mine.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #56
Goliath-goes

For what it’s worth our new 2020 Montana 381TH came with Ranier ST 235/80/16. Texas back to pa twice and no issues. I’m hoping these are good tires. I don’t go over 65mph ever while pulling it
Old 11-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #57
sourdough
Site Team

Read up on those Raniers. They came on my trailer OE but I had them removed and replaced with Sailuns before I picked the trailer up. Some folks on other forums have had significant failures with the Raniers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #58
Happycamper2018

Smile Trailer king tires

Quote:
All tires look great until they pop. TKs just have a propensity to do that. Your trailer is a 1/2 ton Cougar with gvw of 10,400. The new RVIA standards for increased tire capacities is advantageous and will help your TKs although I'm not aware of any improved tire making processes in the Shandong province. I trust you are running the tires at 80psi.
Well a little info on my TK 225/75/15 trailer tires on my couger 28sgs , I just changed my TK for goodyear endurance tires .the tk tires had 20,000 +miles on them 2 trips out west and up into new england . I was surprised to see how thin the side walls on the TK tires were compared to the Goodyear endurance tires . I had them put on and spin balances and they rolled smooth down the road . Had no problems with the Tks but it was always on my mind
Happycamper2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:06 AM   #59
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper2018 View Post
Well a little info on my TK 225/75/15 trailer tires on my couger 28sgs , I just changed my TK for goodyear endurance tires .the tk tires had 20,000 +miles on them 2 trips out west and up into new england . I was surprised to see how thin the side walls on the TK tires were compared to the Goodyear endurance tires . I had them put on and spin balances and they rolled smooth down the road . Had no problems with the Tks but it was always on my mind
The GY Endurance line-up has built-in sidewall scuff guard inserts, a durability factor.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:14 AM   #60
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
The GY Endurance line-up has built-in sidewall scuff guard inserts, a durability factor.
I just bought new tires at Discount Tire. I asked the salesman what his recommendation was, and said definitely the Goodyear Endurance. He demonstrated the difference in sidewall stiffness between several brands.
These tires look like a real quality product, but of coarse, time bill tell.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires