Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Howie

Atwood/Dometic 6 gal water heater problem

Can anyone help me with a possible diagnosis on my GC6AA-10E water heater not working on electricity. It works on propane. The light on the power switch stays on (supposed to go off after about 15 seconds according to manual) but the water doesn't not heat up. Called Dometic last week and they told me the EOC/thermostat needed replacing. I ordered a new set and installed and checked all wire connections for corrosion. The switch light still stays on but I can hear the faintest high pitch noise coming from the water heater outside which I did not hear before but not sure I was listening. I didn't have time to wait around to see if it is working before I left. Any information would be appreciated.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

Are you talking about the red lighted rocker switch on the inside control panel? If so, the switch stays lit whenever it is in the On position.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Howie

yes, I am referring to the red rocker switch. That is why I am kind of confused because the operation instructions talk about this light going out after 15 seconds if working properly. If the light stays on they say to turn off and retry as the light indicates a "lockout" condition. None of my past water heaters indicated the switch light operated like that.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

The manual is bogus. Turn the switch on and it lights up. Turn on the gas switch and that stays on too. If there is an issue, a little red “fault” light will come on to indicate an issue.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
Howie

That makes sense to me from past experience so thanks for the response. I am assuming you are referring to the little dsi fault light which is different from the switch light. Mine didn't come on when I was not getting hot water which adds to the confusion.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

A few weeks ago my igniter board melted down and the rocker stayed lit and the little fault light was on. When I read the manual I read the same as you. The electric mode worked though so I don’t know if the fault light is only for the gas ignition.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your not getting hot water on electric, you need to test if you have 110VAC going to the heating element. It is located at the back of the water heater.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Howie

thanks for the tip. That will be my next move when I can get to it next week. I have to move the RV to a power source.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
ChuckS

I would take your Multi meter and ohm out the heating element. If the water heater was turned on 8n 120 volt AC mode with no water in the tank the element would burn out ver6 quickly and open up the circuit

A reading of around 10 to 20 ohms means element is good.. If it’s way higher or reads open the element 8s bad and water will not heat

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, heat, heater, water, water heater