Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #21
JOglesby

Yes, this is why it is important to understand what you have. To be able to make educated decisions when choosing to upgrade or not. Some things are "good enough" and that's OK. But somethings can be better. You need to be educated on the facts and data of a situation to be able to decide what NEEDS to be better and what things are left to be good enough. Cost vs benefit.

Like is it worth upgrading tires if the axle can't handle the load. Or upgrading the axle without upgrading the tires. Or what ever your planned changes are.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
First off you can get the tongue weight on a Cat scale. Go to Catscale.com, they explain it. There's really no need to individualy weight each tire on a trailer or adjust air pressure. The trailer has a placard with the tire size and min inflation. If you go up a load range then you can increase that pressure up to the max psi on the tire sidewall.

If you're OCD about the issue then you will spend a lot of energy and possibly money with no benefit.
Marshall forgot to mention that if you weigh on a cat scale you probably need to be fully clothed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:34 AM   #23
travelin texans

I have yet to understand why anyone would not run the max PSI in rv tires?
No one rides in the rv to complain about a rough ride!
I seriously doubt anyone in the truck cab could notice any difference in the rv ride by decreasing the pressure by 5-10lbs!
IMHO it's more detrimental to the tire to run them under inflated than to the max they were rated for!
And last why would you upgrade to heavier load rated tires them deflate them for better ride?
YMMV!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:43 AM   #24
JOglesby

I'm not asking about tire pressures and what they should or shouldn't be. I just want to weigh what I got. This is not a debate about that or what I do or don't do while camping. Just a question of IF/WHERE this service might exist.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I've not seen the option anywhere to weigh each tire. I have seen the state police commercial divisions carrying portable scales that they made a vehicle roll up on. You might google and find something like that but I don't think they're cheap....although it might be the cost to find the answers to your worries. I doubt it would be a good idea to stop a state trooper and ask him to weigh you; it might go good and it might not. I know I have seen them do that and the trailer ends up on the side of the road - probably better to just drop a couple grand and not worry about it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:30 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOglesby View Post
I'm not asking about tire pressures and what they should or shouldn't be. I just want to weigh what I got. This is not a debate about that or what I do or don't do while camping. Just a question of IF/WHERE this service might exist.
Actually you did mention this in your first post..... "What I would really like to know is how much each tire is actually carrying so I can size and inflate my tires correctly. " I don't think responding to the entire post is unreasonable.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:44 AM   #27
wrvond

Quote:
I am looking for an accurate way to weigh my trailer without breaking the bank. I know CAT scales are abundant and affordable but really are limited for travel trailers and us overthinkers. What I would really like to know is how much each tire is actually carrying so I can size and inflate my tires correctly. Also what is the actual tongue weight is. I don't want to invest hundreds if not thousands of dollars to weigh my trailer like 1 or 2 times. Can you rent something like this> Is there a place I can take it?
The Escapees RV Club has a program they call SmartWeigh where they weigh your RV at each wheel. They have an event coming up soon in Lebenon, TN.

SmartWeigh FAQ

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
The Escapees RV Club has a program they call SmartWeigh where they weigh your RV at each wheel. They have an event coming up soon in Lebenon, TN.

SmartWeigh FAQ
You beat me to the Smart Weigh at rallies! Might Google "Smart weigh" to see what/where there may be something near by.
Had all wheel locations on truck & trailer weighed at a KOA several years ago, didn't affect tire inflations & didn't give much more information than what I'd gotten from the Cat scales other than each wheel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:48 AM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Yes, this is why it is important to understand what you have. To be able to make educated decisions when choosing to upgrade or not. Some things are "good enough" and that's OK. But somethings can be better. You need to be educated on the facts and data of a situation to be able to decide what NEEDS to be better and what things are left to be good enough. Cost vs benefit.

Like is it worth upgrading tires if the axle can't handle the load. And what load would that be? The axles are installed to carry the fully loaded GVWR of the trailer. Tires rated above the certified GAWRs are providing load capacity reserves. Or upgrading the axle without upgrading the tires. Upgrading axles to a higher load capacity is just gaining load capacity reserves. The higher rated axles add nothing to the trailer's maximum loads or cargo capacity. Or what ever your planned changes are.
IMO you are barking up the wrong tree about inflating your trailer tires to the load carried. It's not supported by FMVSS standards and seasoned RV trailer owners really don't want to air their China made tires to a load carried. It's just asking for failures.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #30
JOglesby

Smart weigh is what I was looking for. Question answered.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #31
lunge motorsport

I have an idea that you may consider helpful. I have a inexpensive point and shoot thermometer and use it to calculate inflation pressures. If all is good in the alignment department you can run down the road at travel speed and pull over to measure the temps across the tread of each tire. I measure the inside , middle , and outside of each tire. This must be done quickly as the temps will average the longer the delay. Add or subtract pressure depending on the readings you record. I do this on all my vehicles especially the tow/trailer combo. It's cheap and accurate but will not tell you if a tire is singularly overloaded.
Good luck
Old 06-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I have yet to understand why anyone would not run the max PSI in rv tires?
No one rides in the rv to complain about a rough ride!
I seriously doubt anyone in the truck cab could notice any difference in the rv ride by decreasing the pressure by 5-10lbs!
IMHO it's more detrimental to the tire to run them under inflated than to the max they were rated for!
And last why would you upgrade to heavier load rated tires them deflate them for better ride?
YMMV!
Perhaps that gentleman from Europe will pop in and it explain it once again...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:10 PM   #33
Canonman

J, would this work??
https://escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:32 PM   #34
CedarCreekWoody

Hey, if you want it go get it. I have no objection. But I don't know where you can get that info.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #35
bsmith0404

For now, until you can get a location where you can do each individual tire, you could place the trailer on a cat scale with each axle on a different plate. Then you can at least see what the two tires on each axle are carrying.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #36
Todd 423

Just go to a CAT scale. For like $20 you get two weighs. Weigh hooked to you trailer fully loaded, then unhook and weigh just the tow vehicle. The CAT scale ticket will give you three separate weights and the total: tow vehicle front axle, tow vehicle rear axle, and combined weight on trailer axles. All that's left to do is some simple math and you will know exactly what everything weighs.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:46 AM   #37
Camp CA

Quote:
I am looking for an accurate way to weigh my trailer without breaking the bank. I know CAT scales are abundant and affordable but really are limited for travel trailers and us overthinkers. What I would really like to know is how much each tire is actually carrying so I can size and inflate my tires correctly. Also what is the actual tongue weight is. .........
This is how I weighed mine. Go to CAT Scale (cost $9.50 the first weight, and $1.00 everyone after that for that day in a certain time frame at the same scale) or moving company scale (generally $10 per weight) and with the tow vehicle off the scale:

1. Trailer weight - disconnect from your tow vehicle and tow vehicle off the scale. If you have a fifth wheel trailer drop the front legs and "bump" the king pin off the hitch. If you are towing a trailer drop the front leg and bump it off the tow vehicle hitch.
2. Trailer weight less hitch weight - connect trailer to the tow vehicle hitch.
3. Hitch weight - subtract 1 from 2.

Never weighed each axle as my trailer and rv are generally level, but you could try that with one axle on and the other off.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:02 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
This is how I weighed mine. Go to CAT Scale (cost $9.50 the first weight, and $1.00 everyone after that for that day in a certain time frame at the same scale) or moving company scale (generally $10 per weight) and with the tow vehicle off the scale:

1. Trailer weight - disconnect from your tow vehicle and tow vehicle off the scale. If you have a fifth wheel trailer drop the front legs and "bump" the king pin off the hitch. If you are towing a trailer drop the front leg and bump it off the tow vehicle hitch.
2. Trailer weight less hitch weight - connect trailer to the tow vehicle hitch.
3. Hitch weight - subtract 1 from 2.

Never weighed each axle as my trailer and rv are generally level, but you could try that with one axle on and the other off.
The Cat Scale operator will be very unhappy with you if you unhitch on the scale. Go to https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #39
Camp CA

In that case, weigh it at a moving company scale. That is where I weighed mine.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:32 AM   #40
crowbar

Sometimes you can find a truck scale on a secondary highway in a rural area where the cops open up on a random basis to check commercial vehicles. But most of the time they are closed. The scales though, are still operative. Just pull in, back one trailer tire on the scale, weigh it, then back the other tire on the scale and subtract the difference. Now turn your rig around and do the same on the other side. Now you have a weight for each trailer tire. It wouldn't take long and usually nobody will bother you.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote