Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2022, 01:37 AM   #1
Ed Beard

RV Maintenance

I know the title covers a very broad area. What I'm looking for is if the there is a check list of what maintenance items and time frames they should be performed is available. My Cougar it the first and most likely the last travel trailer I will ever buy, so I would like to keep maintained and nice for as long as I can. Also, I've been watching some videos on roof cleaning and protecting. There seems to be a lot of different stuff to use. I've read a lot of good things about using 303 to protect from UV damage, but there's a lot of different ones out there.

Thanks for any input.
Cedar Park, Tx
Ed Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:34 AM   #2
wrvond

Page 93 of your owner's manual contains a maintenance schedule:

2020 Keystone Owner's Manual

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:42 AM   #3
ChuckS

The Keystone RV owners manual is a good overall general checklist to make yourself aware of...

That said the suspension system, axle bearings, brakes need specific attention that are covered quite well in the Dexter axle service manual...

The TPO membrane is made by Alpha Systems and as they state on their website require NO SPECIAL protection, etc... Some like to use 303 on the roof. It may or may not be good for it... 303 is great stuff but I have used nothing on my 2014 Alpha Systems roof other than Dawn dish soap..

If you haven't been getting up on your roof at least quarterly and inspecting the sealant condition and resealing that is the first place you need to prioritize your self care upkeep at.

This includes the slide outs .. especially the last four inches outward at the vertical joint.. there are screws that WILL BACK out and if not taken care of they puncture the OEM tape seal and you will get water leaks and rotted slide flooring.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:55 AM   #4
dutchmensport

The list on page 93 is pretty inclusive, and in my opinion, a bit over the top. It's a good check list, but the schedule is not realistic. It depends upon your use and how you use your camper (full time, boomdock, full hookup, how far you travel, and how often, and over what kind of roads).

Again, the list is good, it's the schedule.

For example, I use to drain my water heater when departing every campground and would fill it back up again when arriving at a new campground. But over time, and with different needs, that slowly change because we use the camper at home 24x7 when not on the road. Draining the water heater occurs, maybe 2 or 3 times a year now. But it does get run on both electric and/or gas, depending on our location and time of year.

The slides are swept off completely every time they are retracted. A soft RV brush on the end of a long painters wand works well, and a wet towel for cleaning off bird poo works well. While on the roof doing this, I always walk slowly and inspect the seams and the caulking, looking for cracks and if air conditioner water condensation is pooling in spots it should not. I added caulking over cracks only once in 4 years years now, but I check every time.

Tires are inspected every time I hit the road. Since I started carrying an air compressor with me, I always check the air pressure tire the night before we hit the road, and inspect the tires then.

I am very anal (pun intended) with the black and grey holding tanks. I go through some pain staking measures to keep them cleaned out. I do this every time I dump. The black tank is back-flushed with the grey water from the washing machine/shower/bathroom sink tank. And I use the black tank rinser as way to help drain off some water from the fresh water tank to lighten it when traveling.

Fresh water tank is very seldom sanitized (like never), as the tank is in use all the time. Some people sanitize once a year, some more often. Some never use their fresh water tank. Regardless of how you use your fresh water tank, you need to maintain good garden hoses and protect them. I have dedicated water hoses, I've been using for the last 10 or more years. They are not white, but they are good. And yes, I drink from them. I carry 200 feet of hose, and have one white hose with that in case someone needs help with water because they fell short on hose length. If you live in town and your house is on city water and you fill your water tank in your camper with water from there, you really do not need to sanitize as the city water will sanitize automatically for you. It's mind boggling what is added to city water to help keep it safe. it works in your camper too.

When we break camp, no matter if we are traveling from one campground directly to another campground, or if we do an overnight and move on the next morning, the interior of the camper is always cleaned up. Floors are always swept, counters always washed off, things always packed away. Entry steps cleaned off, all trash removed, toilet cleaned, sinks cleaned, no water standing in the sinks, a little in the bowl of the toilet to keep the seal wet. We clean every time.

Another thing I started doing just this year is inspecting the slide cables on all the slides after we get set up at our destination. That destination may be home, or it may be a campground. But I take the time to inspect them and check them for tightness. It's easy to do, just wiggle the cables on the sides of the slide and see how tight they are. I've had 4 broken slide cables. I replaced the last one myself. I don't want to do that again. So, now that I know what I'm doing, what to look for, and how to check them, I'm doing it every time we get set up, sometime during our stay.

Of course, you also want to wash the outside of your camper, check things like the propane tanks (you do that when you fill your propane), spray down the condenser coil on the air conditioners and get bugs and dirt off. Again, this depends how much and where you use your air conditioner (and if you feel motivated to do it).

There is no bullet proof way to prevent something from happening. The real secret is to get to know your camper as intimately as possible, and that takes time and using it in all types of conditions. Then when something doesn't seem quite right, you'll instinctively know something needs attention. Get it fixed immediately. A minor problem on an RV will quickly develop into a huge one if it's not taken care of immediately .
Old 06-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #5
bsmith0404

I agree, the OM page gives you a good starting point, but you will develop your own schedule based on use. I deal with cosmetics twice a year, wash and wax. While I’m on the roof washing, I check the lap sealant and reseal as needed. I also condition the seals and live the slides at that time. Clean out the AC coils (we have a lot of blowing sand here.

Each spring I take care of wheel bearings, brakes, and suspension. Sanitize the tanks and change the anode rod (needed or not)

Before each trip I check over the LP system, make sure the water pump, water heater, furnace are al working well. Check the water in the batteries and the voltage going to them (converter).

Every time I use the leveling system I clean/wipe down the jacks and lube them with a silicone spray. I have hydraulic jacks and sand/dirt on them when retracted can cause leaks at the seals. 10 years and I’m still on original jacks.

I’d use the owners manuals to give you a good idea what needs to be done, then develop a process that works for you. Our Alline gets pulled over and set up in the garage apron a few days before each trip, I start going through my process, my wife cleans and packs it up.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance