Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2022, 10:29 AM   #1
MrRobalo

AC flipping breaker

We have a 2018 Bullet 220 RBI wit Dometic 15000btu and has been very good and reliable., we live in Fl and last week we were camping near Ft. MYERS . It was about 90* out and thermostat set at 79 and it flipped the breaker in about 30 min of running. It sounded like it was turning off and went back on for 3-4 min and stopped. Left off for 1/2 hr and did same thing. After the second time the sun set and we didn’t have any problems during the night.
I planed on going up and cleaning the coils but never got to it.We bought reflextex and will make window insulators before the next trip. Any input will be appreciated Thank You in advance.
MrRobalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
Scttw

First question comes to mind is what does the park offer on amps incoming? Really depends what else you had turned on as well. Lets assume the fridge was on. Although it doesn't sound like that could be an issue, it would be if you are only getting 15-20 incoming ..... I've heard of parks ranging from 15-50.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree. Is your trailer 30A? If so, what else was being used at that time?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

AND GET AN EMS. An EMS (not a surge protector ) will protect the a/c compressor from burning up if the incoming voltage is too low. In the intrum at a minimum go buy a plug in voltmeter. They are available for <$20 and display the voltage when plugged into an ordinary outlet.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
MrRobalo

Thanks for the responses, Didn't check the amps there but will get a plug-in meter, we were at a Corp of Engineers park. Yes we have a Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A - Full Protection Portable with LCD Display Black. After the first time it popped I only turned back on the main and a/c. But before only other thing on was GFI and Converter ( batteries were full)
The panel is located under the pantry and in the same area as the hot water heater so I was thinking of putting in a vent with a computer fan to pull cool cabin air to keep the electrical panel cool . ( even though the hot water heater off)
Old 05-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Make sure you use the Surge Guard. Plug in the trailer and turn on the A/C and watch the Surge Guard. Unfortunately that model doesn't have a remote monitor panel (mine doesn't either - 34950) but you can turn on various items alone and it will tell you how many amps each is pulling. It will also tell you if you are having fluctuating voltage problems. I just get on the phone and talk to DW and cycle through the various appliances etc. and note them all.

Open that power panel after you have disconnected from shore and battery power and check all those connections. You may have something loose in there that's causing resistance and overloading the breaker. For grins you could let the A/C run awhile and just feel of the breaker for it. It may be getting weak and it may be getting hot due to that as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Sammy Joe, I had a similar issue with my old 2002 Cougar. The camper is/was plugged into a Progressive EMS but the 30A fuse would pop when operating to many appliances in the camper; this was especially true with A/C and microwave at the same time. I have double breakers. The A/C and main (20A and 30A) are on the same breaker so I suspected heat so I bought new breakers to move the A/C to a breaker shared with a low draw 15A circuit. I also added a muffin fan to the outside of my power center to move more air across it. These things helped but would still trip the main 30A breaker with good power coming in. Next, I wired the microwave through a breaker to its own 20A cord which I connected to the rear of my camper via a Marinco weatherproof outlet and connect to 20A outlet on a pedestal via a heavy duty extension cord and this solved my 30A breaker tripping. Was actually pretty easy to do and I installed a regular household work box with a standard outlet as it went into the cabinet where the cheap RV outlet had been located.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:10 AM   #8
MrRobalo

Thank You all that responded. I’m going to bring the camper home next week and check it out better with your suggestions. Defentally pitting in a grill and fan to blow cool cabin air into the compartment that holde the breaker box. I might also look at AC Airflow duct inserts that “make your unit run 40% cooler ??? “ I’ll do a little more research on that one $170.00 for a couple pieces of styrofoam seems a little steep to me.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:36 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRobalo View Post
Thank You all that responded. I’m going to bring the camper home next week and check it out better with your suggestions. Defentally pitting in a grill and fan to blow cool cabin air into the compartment that holde the breaker box. I might also look at AC Airflow duct inserts that “make your unit run 40% cooler ??? “ I’ll do a little more research on that one $170.00 for a couple pieces of styrofoam seems a little steep to me.
$170 is steep for a piece of styrofoam but we are camping this weekend and triple digits and no shade are what we have in this campground. Keeping the cabin in the 70s makes the price worth it. I also sealed the ducting with hvac tape, installed directional vents that can be closed if needed, put dark tint on the windows and have a 14K BTU portable venting out a window in the cabin. I also swapped the original Dometic 13.5K btu for a Brisk II 15K btu a couple years ago. Nothing ruins a trip camping more than sweating.

First time we camped in triple digits with little shade, ended up going to Best Buy once we were set up and bought a smaller portable that kept things tolerable through our weekend away. Made all other upgrades/mods after to see if improvements could be made and they have.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #10
MrRobalo

Well thanks for the help on things to try. We are camping for our annual Father’s Day camping trip to Wekiva Springs State Park.
I ordered the main and ac (30/20) on Amazon and it arrived at 5 pm day before we left. I also for the first time got on the roof and s leaned the both of the coils
I also cut out the rear of the plastic cover and put in stucco galvanized lmetal with large washers.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE . Letting the air blow through the metal grates and now the roof AC vents are blowing air like never before. Day 5 in the high 90’ and the camper is still cool. My wife made REFLECT X Window COVERS (held by velcro)
After we used the the Digital Temperature Gun and saw how hot the shades were.
They came out great and the temperature difference’s inside is worth the time and effort. I had planed to get a soft start for the AC but after the long weekend with all the kids ,grandkids momma said WE NEED A BIGGER RV.
So looks like next year we will be hitting the big Tampa show.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
Durango RV

Your 2018 220RBI is identical to our 2019 220RBI. Being out west we don't use the AC as much. But now that we're retired we'll be traveling to more... what's that word??? oh yea, "humid" climates.

So. Did you end up buying a new unit at the show?
Durango RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:17 PM   #12
MrRobalo

Well we are going to the Tampa super show next month to see everything new. The wife wants to see one in person and that’s a Grand Design Transcend Xplor 240ML split kitchen and sleep 6-7 . However she really wants to redo the Bullet as it’s so roomy with just 2 and removing the dinett and putting in theater seats. Will put on a good solar system with 4-500watt hours and a small dual fuel generator with easy start for hot nights. Son is looking for newer tow vehicle either a 3/4 ton truck or a Yukon XL. ( all seats go down now) so next year we plan to go out west for a 2 or so month trip.
Hope you got some travel plans for the coming year but don’t come to Fl tomorrow night below freezing . For 2 nights. Fl Blizzard lol
Old 12-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I worked at a Grand Design dealer for 5 yrs. Unless things have changed, the transcend is an entry level trailer and I would get an imagine instead.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:56 PM   #14
MrRobalo

That’s what we thought and being as light as they are make them so appealing to the eye. Actually now that we will be getting a new Tow Vehicle soon more options will open up . My son’s actually been looking for a Yukon XL 3/4 ton. Not many out there but he comes up with some unique deals. He is a one man band in his car business. He specializes in buying high mileage luxury cars or hellcats and does very well. So if I get in a pinch I just take his truck. If not if a 3/4 ton truck comes along that’s what it will be.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #15
Durango RV

MrRobalo We (just 2 of us) like the layout of the 220RBI. Like your wife I've wondered about replacing the dinette with more comfortable chairs. Hate to lose the under seat storage though.

As for the cold weather in Florida I hear what you're saying. I grew up on the west coast of FL and know these temps are highly unusual. Heck, I didn't see snow till I was a teenager!
Durango RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:41 PM   #16
MrRobalo

Well I went all over the country when I was with the boat company and I’m retired and still have never seen a snow . I saw the slosh in NY there over New Years and it just stopped before I got there or started the day I left for 15 yes lol