Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 04:22 AM   #1
TinaMBee1

license plate holder

long story short my license plate holder broke off. any suggestions on how to replace it? Looks like the light will have to come off ,put on new holder, fixture back on and then seal around it like a you know what? Tried to attach pictures but not sure I was successful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220515_081115.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	39743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220515_081121.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	39744  
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:49 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the existing light is still functional and the seal around it is intact, I wouldn't remove it to install another plate holder like what just broke. You'll risk a leaking light and if one broke, chances are another similar one will do the same.

When mine died by cracking and falling off the trailer (fortunately at home so I didn't need a replacement license plate) I took that opportunity to install LED tail/brake lights and a "PERMANENT" plate holder. This is the one I used, it has 4 screws to mount the holder to the trailer and then 2 screws to mount the plate to the holder.

I applied butyl putty tape across the entire back, positioned it on the trailer, then used 4 self tapping screws to hold it in place. After tightening the screws, I used a plastic razor blade to trim the excess butyl putty from the edges and sealed the screwheads with some left over DICOR putty from doing my roof.

Here's a photo and a link for what I used. If you mount it under that tail light, you won't need an extra plate light: https://www.amazon.com/Kaper-II-1M-V...76285822&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LICENSE PLATE HOLDER.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	39745  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

When that was about to happen on our trailer I took the opportunity to replace that junk with LED replacements. No more burned bulbs, no more corroded sockets, and you can actually see them in direct sunlight. I also replaced all my clearence lights as well with an LED module that plugged into the original socket with the LEDs mounted in the lens. They were BARGMAN IIRC. Well worth the money IMHO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
Weldon

We bought our TT used. The salesman showed me where the tag holder had broken but they were backordered on Amazon. He gave me cash well over the amazon price. Within a week, they were in stock again. I replaced ours 1 1/2 years ago and have had no problems. Better options are available but as of yet, I've kept the original style on the TT.

https://www.amazon.com/Bargman-34-92...s%2C105&sr=8-4
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Smile Definitely Bargman 34-92-003 #92 Series Red

Weldon is correct.
I decided to replace both rear lights with the License Plate mounts. One for the state, and the other used for an RV Camping Plate, all purchased through Amazon. Each light assembly was just over $12.
I used butyl tape behind the light and white silicone RTV around the edges, and a ultra fine seal line to seal the lens.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote