Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #1
Rayray71

Radio goes out when lights come on

I have a 2017 cougar RLI When I have the radio on and turn the lights on beside the stove which is in the same slide the radio cuts out! Can someone help scratching my head
Rayray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
LHaven

In your fusebox, one of the fuses should be marked Accessory. Remove it. Verify that you radio will no longer turn on. Now turn on the problematic lights. Do they go on or not?

(Sorry to make you reset the clock on your radio!)

Speaking of which, another question arises. When you turn on the lights, and the radio goes out, does just the sound go out, or does your radio lose power entirely (lights, clock, whatever)?
Old 05-21-2022, 12:57 AM   #3
Rayray71

I just get static. I will try the fuse
Tnx
Old 05-21-2022, 01:49 AM   #4
ChuckS

Since the radio is staying powered up did you have this issue previously or is this a new problem?

If the radio has always lost stations when you turn those lights on and IF THEY ARE LED then you are getting RFI from the LED lights cheap built in voltage regulators and they are blocking the radio receiver out

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:47 AM   #5
LHaven

Or, if the lights are on a dimmer (especially one of those "rub your finger over it" switches with the tiny light in the center), it could be the dimmer switch causing the problem.

I have a similar noise problem with my own radio, due to a dimmer and some LED strips I added.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:07 AM   #6
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Or, if the lights are on a dimmer (especially one of those "rub your finger over it" switches with the tiny light in the center), it could be the dimmer switch causing the problem.

I have a similar noise problem with my own radio, due to a dimmer and some LED strips I added.

The noise issue can usually be eliminated by installing a couple of quality ferrite chokes over the power cable to the radio or TV set... it will decouple the RFI from overloading the device

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:14 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Now that we've established that the radio looses the station and not loosing power let's dive in. Is the trailer new to you or have you had it since new in 2017? This info helps in understanding if perhaps the previou owner changed the lamps. LED or incandescent light? As others of said, cheap LEDs can wreak havoc on radio and TV reception.

One last question. If you turn the radio on, then turn the light on, does the radio display dim or flicker?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
Rayray71

Purchased in August of last year and just the reception goes out. I have the touch lights with the gold band around them where you touch and they come on, no dimmer light and they seem to be like the rest of the lights in the camper so I am guessing there factory.

Tags
light, lights, radio